Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Rowing machine for the wife ?
  • snap
    Free Member

Hi
    The wife wants me to sort her a rowing machine . Of which I know absolutely nothing about .
    I’ve taken a quick look and as with most things the difference in prices , ranges massively .
    She’s used them before at the gym but can’t remember what make/model she used.

Got no real budget to work with other than if I get right and she enjoys it then that makes my life easier so don’t mind splashing out if in the long term it’s worth it .
    Recommendations please on
    What to buy
    what to avoid
    or even what your selling
    I realise that you get what you pay for but she’s not an elite rower and being realistic is only ever going to use it a few times a week
    Preferably one that stores easily ie folds up or stands up

Thanks in advance

Twodogs

Rowing machine for the wife ?

seems like a fair swap

gaidong
    Free Member

I got a Concept 2 Model C in late 2019, thank God. This is probably the model your wife has used at the gym. I was doing rowing training on them in the late 1990s and I think the core design has been around since the early 1980s. I have a wall hook for mine but it does take up about 1m2 even when hanging from the wall. Most of the time it’s on the ground as I use it 3 times per week and my wife once or twice. Got me far fitter than many multiples spent on bikes ever did, and it’s 1 great complementary activity. I use it with a telly in front to watch series etc, with subtitles to beat the fan noise. Well worth it.

lovewookie

seems like a fair swap

clicked for this comment.

was not disappointed.

andrewh
    Free Member

Rowing machine for the wife

Mine is a rowing machine, constant arguments, hence the pending divorce

snap
    Free Member

Twodogs
    Thats brilliant 😂😂👍
    At the moment I’d gladly swop her for a rowing machine , one from Argos would do 😂👍👍👍

Twodogs

I think this is better than my unoriginal comment!

Twodogs

clicked for this comment.

was not disappointed

open goal, really

Philby

Concept 2 are the best I have used and seem to be the benchmark for rowing machines. As mentioned above they are one of the best ways to get fit as they provide an all body workout. Even 10 minutes at a reasonable intensity level will leave you feeling exhausted. Technique is important though – I often see people at the gym I go to using the machines with very poor technique which at best won’t benefit you, and at worst could injure you.

willard

Another upvote for Concept 2. Yes they are pricey, but there is a reason that people buy them for gym use.

Also, rowing is horrible, a hateful, painful, nasty way to exercise. However, it is superb for so many things and a great way to do low impact cardio. Dammit.

feed

Not an expert on them but did a bit of research a while back prior to a purchase. There seem to be 3 main types,

(1) fan resistance as per Concept 2 mentioned above. Concept 2 seems to be the market leader and the one used in all gyms due to the quality\durability. These are in the £900 region.

(2) Water resistance, Similar to above, tend to be quieter (the sound is water resistance). Reviews think these are closer to the real feel or rowing.

(3) The rest

Not sure if you’re looking new or secondhand. Like Turbo trainers there was a huge demand \ shortage during lockdown with the associated artificial price inflation.

I got a secondhand water rower which I’m very pleased with,
    Older version of this https://firstdegreefitness.com/shop/fluidrower/e550/

As per @gaidong, I use mine with a TV in front but with bluetooth earphones.

rickmeister

Rowing machine for the wife ?

seems like a fair swap

I was backwards and forwards about saying exactly this but thought it best not to shove my oar in….

MoreCashThanDash

👏👏

I was backwards and forwards about saying exactly this but thought it best not to shove my oar in….

5/10, must try harder

feed

First off, apologies for the serious reply 🙂

Not an expert on them but did a bit of research a while back prior to a purchase. There seem to be 3 main types,

(1) fan resistance as per Concept 2 mentioned above. Concept 2 seems to be the market leader and the one used in all gyms due to the quality\durability. These are in the £900 region but really hold their secondhand value.

(2) Water resistance, Similar to above, tend to be quieter (the sound is water resistance). Reviews think these are closer to the real feel of rowing. Also in the £900 region for a reasonable rower.

(3) The rest

Not sure if you’re looking new or secondhand. Like Turbo trainers there was a huge demand \ shortage during lockdown with the associated artificial price inflation.

I got a secondhand water rower which I’m very pleased with,
    Older version of this https://firstdegreefitness.com/shop/fluidrower/e550/

As per @gaidong, I sometimes use mine with a TV in front but with bluetooth earphones.

tillydog
    Free Member

I use it 3 times per week and my wife once or twice. Got me far fitter than many multiples spent on bikes ever did

Thanks for the fitness tip 😉

Concept 2 – there is/was a waiting list for new ones, but they hold their value extremely well (SWBMO is a rowing nut).

breatheeasy
    Free Member

12+ week waiting list for concept 2 from the supplier. Mines coming tmrw!

You can probably get one earlier if you’re willing to pay a couple of hundred quid over retail.

If you’re not sure, you can put yourself on the wait list now and just bail out when they send you the link for purchase.

MSP

I bought a concept2 last year, never really took to it, found it way too boring to do for any reasonable amount of time and ended up selling it for more than I paid. While that situation (making a profit) is unlikely to last beyond the end of the pandemic as supply returns to normal, I would still expect to get at least 75% of the price back if selling a concept2 rower after a couple of years worth of use. Also the nice warm glow of not chucking junk into landfill is worth something.

BigJohn

so don’t mind splashing out if in the long term it’s worth it

If you’re splashing out, that’s not a rowing machine you’ve got, it’s a rowing boat.

thebibbles

Where it’s going to be stored or used should be taken into consideration when choosing between a Waterrower or Concept2. I went with a Waterrower as it’s stored and used in the house, looks far nicer stored up against the wall and the Concept2 I tried at a friends house is really loud in a confined space compared to when you use them in the gym. The Waterrower can be used whilst watching the tv at a pretty normal volume and I find the noise of the water quite relaxing. I added the SmartRow power meter as that give far better feedback on your stroke than the S4 module you get as standard.

Twodogs

this

I use it 3 times per week and my wife once or twice

and this

If you’re splashing out, that’s not a rowing machine you’ve got, it’s a rowing boat.

made me laugh 🙂

onewheelgood

open goal, really

True, but it’s traditional to ask for pictures before deciding whether the swap is fair or not.

MoreCashThanDash

12+ week waiting list for concept 2 from the supplier.

A drinking buddy works for them, I’m impressed it’s that low from the conversations we were having last year

Twodogs

True, but it’s traditional to ask for pictures before deciding whether the swap is fair or not

If you’re fussy maybe

breatheeasy
    Free Member

A drinking buddy works for them, I’m impressed it’s that low from the conversations we were having last year

Looks like they cut down on their offerings – only one colour, no high leg version at moment etc. so looks like they’ve really trimmed down to the basics to get numbers out.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Waterrowers are good, mine is nearly 20 years old and still looks good. As above, a lot quieter than concept 2, easy vertical storage as well

You could always hire one of each to try before you take the plunge

NZCol

As said above that’s really the choice. My wife is an ex pro rower to Olympic level and will only use a concept 2, we have one unsurprisingly. It’s vicious on it’s ability to spank you.

paule
    Free Member

If you’re interested in a concept 2, I’ve an onlder one (no display, but I’ve wired a bike computer to it to provide some kind of readout) which is happily loan out for an extended period to see if she gets on with it? You’d have to collect from Sheffield though.

somouk
    Free Member

I recently purchased a JTX rower and I’m really impressed with it.

It’s no concept 2 but it’s not far behind and a lot cheaper!

Sandwich

If you’re fussy maybe

Well you don’t want to end up with andrewh’s rowing machine, that would be really expensive.

walowiz

I posted a similar question last year; https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/recommend-me-a-rowing-machine-2/ – only the rower is for me and not my wife.

I tried to get a 2nd hand indoor rower, missed a number of concept2’s that were going for roughly the same or MORE than a new one – which was understandable, but irritating. So I got on the waiting list for a new one and finally got one early this year.

Glad I did, it’s a good bit of exercise kit.

Twodogs

Mine’s arriving on Wednesday

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Rowing machine for the wife ?’ is closed to new replies.