Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Rowing Machine exercises…
  • the-muffin-man

After stints on the treadmill and cross trainer (and other gubbins in the gym), I’ve come to the conclusion that the rowing machine works best for me.

In an attempt to build strength and muscle into a creaky 48yr old what exercise routines would you recommend (cardio is secondary)?

Just a bit of info on what I already do:-

I’m currently doing 5km in a bit over 20 minutes (20m 16s being my best so far), this is with no intervals.

I also do a 3km session with 250m of each 1000 done at a sprint.

I can comfortably hold an average 2.02 ish per 500m, dipping under 2m for periods. Sprints are done between 1.45 and 1.50.

I have the rowing machine resistance set on 8.

After the rowing machine I move to the dumbells and Radiant machine and do whatever I feel like doing!

weeksy

500m / 1min sprint/rest.

I’d drop resistance down 1-2 to 6 myself as you get to much lactic acid from the higher resistance personally.

zilog6128

If building strength/muscle is your goal personally I’d recommend barbell weights (something like Starting Strength) and save the rowing machine for the warmup/cooldown & occasional short interval training.

orangespyderman

If you do want to use the rower to build upper body strength then you should consider using both underhand and overhand grips to use different muscles if you don’t already.

(BTW I do agree with zilog that there are probably better solutions for building muscle and strength – I use the rower quite a lot but essentially for cardio intervals)

Straightliner

As above, probably worth reducing resistance to around 6 or 7. Have a look on Concept 2 website if the resistance doesn’t seem logical – they explain it very well.

Some exercises worth trying/hurting yourself with:
    Pyramids – 5 hard strokes, 5 easy, then 10/10, 15/15, 20/20, 25/25, 20/20, 15/15, 10/10, 5/5 and repeat the set two or three times. Hard should be close to maximum effort, easy should be steady say 2:15/2:20 pace.
    Intervals – 1 min flat out, 2 min easy and repeat until ill!

In terms of improving your pace, technique will really help a lot. Row long – reach forward, pull hard and accelerate the handle all the way to your stomach/chest. Then get your hands away quickly before slowly moving foward on the seat and compressing your legs. Do not rush this part, it allows you to recover.

km79
    Free Member

Have alook at the programmes on here https://indoorsportservices.co.uk/training/interactive

The resistance on the machine (at least in the case of concept2 rowers) isn’t resistance as you will be used to on other exercise equipment. It effects the feel of the stroke more than the difficulty. What effects the difficulty is what you put into the stroke.

If building strength/muscle is your goal personally I’d recommend barbell weights (something like Starting Strength) and save the rowing machine for the warmup/cooldown & occasional short interval training.

This. Rowers tend to be big and muscly, it helps them row faster. They will have got that way by weight training.

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

As per Straightliner, pyramids are fun and so many variations.

After warming up take your race pace for a given distance (mine is about 2:00/500m over 5km, similar to you) and then do a cadence pyramid: 1km @ 28spm, 1km @ 24spm, 1km @ 20spm, 1km @ 24spm, 1km @ 28spm. Or vice versa 20/24/28/24/20. At lower cadences you need a much more explosive movement to maintain the speed.

Speed pyramids with constant cadence (do the routine at different cadences on different days): 2:10/500m, 2:05, 2:00, 2:05, 2:10 (subtract 5 seconds and or increase the step distance as you develop).

Interval pyramids of 1:55 for 500m, 2:10 for 500m, 1:55 for 1000m, 2:10 for 1000m etc.

Signup to Concept2’s Workout Of The Day for additional inspiration.

Edit to add: try different resistances as well, the control required at lighter resistances makes things interesting.

Another edit to add: I’m using mine (Concept2) mainly for cardio purposes with resistance around 5, but my shoulders and core definitely benefit from it and I’m far from becoming The Hulk.

richard

As other posters have said, building strength and muscle is best done with weights. Rowing will build some strength in time…

Your resistance seems set far too high. What stroke rate are you rowing at? I’d recommend about 20spm given your comments, but at a lower resistance. With the resistance at 8 and at the steady pace you describe, I’d expect your stroke rate to be quite low, something like 16spm; much higher and I question your technique.
    The C2 machines measure average power and translates that to pace; the “resistance” setting affects the flywheel drag. A higher drag slows your pull down and can be good for specific strength training on the rower, but you need to be very sure your technique is good if you do this.

At a steady pace, a rate around 20spm is sensible to build strength and pace, and that should be with the machine set somewhere around 4. To sprint, just up the stoke rate 😉

I’m doing quite a bit of rowing machine stuff at the moment to try and compensate for too much time spent at a desk and on a bike… I’m not big and muscly, so I’m quite slow on the rower, but I do find it much easier to put in a consistent effort at around my anaerobic threshold, so it’s definitely helping my CV and is building a little strength. As a comparison I’m mostly rowing 10k at about 2.05 pace and 20 to 22spm, with the machine drag factor at around 110 (about low 4 on the machine). Some days I do intervals of at least 10 x 500m/1min rest, but I don’t seem to manage much below 1.55 pace for all of these! As I said, I’m quite slow…

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’d recommend everyone who sets the damper by using the numbers 1 – 10 to stop doing that and use the drag factor reading available on the performance monitor. It’s the only way to get consistency. 125 is is meant to be similar to rowing on water.

the-muffin-man

Thanks all so far!

What stroke rate are you rowing at?

About 30/min

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

This plan – The Pete Plan is the most recommended for indoor rowing, that’s unless you want to follow a long term phased plan.

I normally do a reduced version by missing out some steady distance sessions.

monkfish
    Free Member

+1 on the Pete plan.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I just do 1000m and try to beat the time, this is after squats, overhead squats, deadlift, rings training, currently training to do a planche, getting incredibly close.
    Age 53, so your a youngster. 😀

mwleeds

I’d recommend everyone who sets the damper by using the numbers 1 – 10 to stop doing that and use the drag factor reading available on the performance monitor. It’s the only way to get consistency. 125 is is meant to be similar to rowing on water.

This.

A poorly maintained and dirty rower in one gym can be <120 drag factor when set at 10, whilst a well maintained rower would probably be 4-5 at 120. Most rowers train at 120-135.

Rowing is quite technical (even on a machine) make sure you have good/ok technique before pushing too hard.You’ll be faster, enjoy it more and are less likely to get hurt.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I’d recommend everyone who sets the damper by using the numbers 1 – 10 to stop doing that and use the drag factor reading available on the performance monitor. It’s the only way to get consistency. 125 is is meant to be similar to rowing on water

Spot on advice above, get your form right as well, this will ensure all the required muscle groups are used, correct form does feel a bit strange at first, as it improves you will see your SPM drop and split speed 500m/min improve.
    I do my own version of Petes plan, theres plenty of advice on youtube and the concept 2 web page, the other advantage of the rower is the fact all the primos at the gym tend to ignore it so its always free.

the-muffin-man

How do I set/know I’m on the right drag factor?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

How do I set/know I’m on the right drag factor?

Drag factor is one of the options on the performance monitor. Under options/other or something – easy to find. Select it and you get a reading when you row, just row a few strokes to see what it says and then tweak the damper leaver until the reading matches what you want e.g 125.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

A friend of mine who I used to row with went to Leander Club when he was 18 at the time when jurgen grobler had just started coaching the GB team. When he asked what he should do on the erg, grobler replied ’20k Ja!’ So he did that. I asked him how long it took as in those days that sort of distance was unheard of. He said it took 70 minutes. That works out as 1:45min/500m as average. So the OP is asking what to do: 20k Ja? (only joking).

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Gavin – your friend was very fit doing that distance at 1.45/500.

km79
    Free Member

He said it took 70 minutes

Damn! I was near death doing 10k in 35 mins.

carlphillips
    Free Member

bloody hell im done in after 6k in 28mins!!!

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Ive used a concept 2 on and off for several years, about 6 months ago a guy at the gym commented on my technique and gave me a quick lesson in correct technique, also advised on a few circuits, best cadence etc.
    Since then I have come to enjoy rowing a lot more and have seen a slow but steady improvement in speed and overall fitness and I do think its been beneficial to my cycling.
    I alternate between time circuits and distance circuits.
    A normal distance circuit:

Warm up – 2000m SPM 20/22 drag factor 130 split speed average 500/2mins

pyramid – 300m-600m-900m-1200m-900m-600m-300m again SPM 20/22 try to keep split speed to less that 1min 58s. 40s rest between sets

( 5 x 20 16kg KB swings or KB squats )

Press-ups or plank or both until failure

Re-heat with 500m at 22SPM 500/1Min – 55s
    Finish with tabata 200m x 8 with 20 secs rest

@ Muffin man you can set up the Monitor to any combination of intervals you wish, have a look at the O Neill Aerobic fitness test for some realistic indicators of what to aim for in relation to your age.

https://indoorsportservices.co.uk/training/oneill_test

Stretch off

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Rowing Machine exercises…’ is closed to new replies.