Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • RoW access grey area: how does this work?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I had a particularly unpleasant confrontation earlier today while on a footpath that leads to a bridleway. The path I was confronted on is a metalled access track that runs from a road by a farm to another house, which then splits into two footpaths and a bridleway (all unmetalled).

Cutting a long and rather heated story short, the confronting landowner claimed I was on a footpath (I was), I’m on private land (I was) and there is no bridleway at the end (there is). I argued I was on an access path to the bridleway.

The bridleway is not a commonly used one (it has a stile at one end…) but is official according to my two-year old OS map, Streetmap and the signposts at either end of where it officially sits (further up the footpath from where I was confronted).

My understanding is I can use private tracks to access such RoWs, but after a quick search I can’t find anything concrete. However, I figure it’s not unusual: there’s a lot of RoWs out there that change classification when they cross local land boundaries (parish / county etc.)

So – was I in the wrong?

Trimix
    Free Member

Only if you are caught.

epicyclo

NO, you were simply asserting your right to access the land.

cinnamon_girl

My understanding is I can use private tracks to access such RoWs,

Would be surprised at that. We do have “white roads” that don’t necessarily appear on an OS map. You need to look at the definitive map which may be available online to view via your local council’s website.

towzer

Find the definitive map, the local council For the path area should have it somewhere on their website, if the path is not marked on the definitive map then legally you loose. It may be worth contacting the rights of way officer for the appropriate council if it looks a bit ‘messy’ as you say – dead ends etc

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Were you on foot or on a bike?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Need to be care full at present some of these people in the countryside will start to get very heavy handed just like in Foot and Month even though you have a right to be there at present.

tjagain

Was he the landowner? Only the landowner can ask you to leave. Other wise a cheery wave and be on your way

scaredypants

if it’s a footpath, “nobody” can stop you using it. Just walk your bike along it and you’re a pedestrian

thorpey0
    Free Member

Did you cough on him?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Were you on foot or on a bike?

Bike. I was technically in the wrong at the point of confrontation.

Was he the landowner? Only the landowner can ask you to leave. Other wise a cheery wave and be on your way

I believe so, but didn’t question. Both the farmer and lady farmer were coming out of farm grounds on foot in full welly regalia. I gave a cheery wave while having obscenities yelled at me once I reached metalled track / road junction. 😉

You need to look at the definitive map which may be available online to view via your local council’s website.

It may be worth contacting the rights of way officer for the appropriate council if it looks a bit ‘messy’ as you say – dead ends etc

Good calls.

Need to be care full at present some of these people in the countryside will start to get very heavy handed just like in Foot and Month even though you have a right to be there at present.

Yes. It was stupid busy out. I’m re-working solo ride plans.

Did you cough on him?

He seemed keen to get close at one point and his wife accused me of being a carrier that could infect gates around her livestock. The thought did cross my mind. 🙂

steveh

There is no legal right to use a track to access a bridleway such as you mention which changes state or even just starts in middle of nowhere. Your right of access is from the other end to the point at which it stops being a bridleway.
    It is not a grey area at all. It is crap but that’s different.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It is not a grey area at all. It is crap but that’s different.

That is crap. But thanks for the clarification.

burko73

The whole footpath/ bridleways thing is just nuts. Any doubletrack/ farm road – there’s no harm in riding a bike down that if there’s access on foot already. Something needs to change.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

What worries me is that any change at the moment would swing in favour of the landowner.

Dig or Ride secret tracks? A new law means you’re a criminal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘RoW access grey area: how does this work?’ is closed to new replies.