Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Routes in the Lakes for kids
  • mjb

Can anyone recommend some easy routes in the Lakes suitable for kids? So anything from 2-10 miles preferably with no long ups or main roads. Easy singletrack and places of interest to stop at are an added bonus. We’ve done the Eskdale trail and Whinlatter blue but struggling to think of anything else suitable.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Tilberthwaite, west side of Windermere/wray castle, elterwater/langdale, ennerdale out to blacksail hut (fire road either side of the Beck), west side of coniston to torver, on to beacon if they’ve got the legs

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I keep trying the borrowdale bash and it keeps not working. So don’t do that.

However the route from rosthwaite past the langstrath inn and then down langstrath to the swimming pond(black pot?) Is great.

lister

Claife Heights/Wray Castle/west shore of Windermere. Various routes can be linked together but there are some unavoidable climbs.

Coniston village north to Tilberthwaite. There is a lovely bridleway that runs along the main road…it’s not shown on older OS maps. Again, bit of a climb after that but lots of riding around the old quarries and Hodge Close.

Loughrigg Terrace loop from Ambleside.

Grizedale exploring, bridleways and bits of the forest tracks and purpose built stuff.

My kids have done those routes over the last few years, Hazel had probably just turned 7 when we first did them.

It’s up to you to know what your kids can do, spend lots of time with 1:25 maps and study the contours. My kids seem to prefer short but steep ups where we can push and chat if necessary. Longer grindy climbs are more frustrating for all of us as they take ages and get knackered quickly.

TomB

Park at Littletown farm, Newlands- out and back south along the old mine track heading south towards dale head tarn. Cycle as far as you can, leave bikes and either climb up to the tarn (bit of a hike) or play in the waterfalls, then return for cake/ice cream at littletown.

You could also camp at the south end of the valley for more of an adventure.

richardkennerley

Pooley bridge up to “the cockpit” then down the bridleway to howtown then back along the road to pooley bridge.

This may well be too hard for kids, it’s been a long time since I went out that way, but I think it’s fairly easy going and actually a really fun descent

mjb

Thanks all, some really useful ideas there, got a route planned for my next visit now.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

The Bridleway alongside Buttermere from Gatesgarth farm is good, best done as an out and back to Buttermere village where theres some great cafes, the gradient is good after recent repairs, and its nice and wide too, probably best done on a Saturday as its usually less busy, enjoy.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Routes in the Lakes for kids’ is closed to new replies.