Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Routes for gravelly rides in the peak
  • pop-larkin
    Free Member

Looking to do a gravelly biased ride tomorrow in the peaks but would like some suggestions please

Will be travelling over from Stoke land and looking for around 50-60km as I’m unfit

will monsal etc be rammed?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Cmon guys and gals I did say please!

boxelder

Everywhere will be Half Term busy. What about Mac Forest, Wildboarclough, Danebower Hollow to Cat and Fiddle, down old road to Buxton, up over towards Whaley Bridge, down into Goyt Valley and use one way road back up to Cat n Fiddle? Hillier than S Peak rail trails.

thepodge
    Free Member

Could have sent you a gpx with more than 12 hours notice

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I know it’s late notice but only got clearance for a day out late on

Podge- If you’ve got a gpx of a decent route happy to wait and use next time

Boxelder- not a bad call although defo more hilly than the rail trails!

jekkyl

How about train to Macc, up to the forest over cat n fiddle, gradbach, Leek, down past Rudyard up n over past Bosley cloud down to the biddulph Valley way n back to Stoke. Might be more than your mileage though but cracking route

Garry_Lager

There’s a couple of gpx routes for the peak district pioneer adventure cross event here that look pleasant enough:

https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/peak-district-pioneer-adventure-cross/

Shorter one is 48 miles. There was also a white peak gravelly route that someone had put together as a named sort of route, but I forget what it was. Someone on here will know.

pottersmtber
    Free Member

There’s a couple of gpx routes for the peak district pioneer adventure cross event here that look pleasant enough:

https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/peak-district-pioneer-adventure-cross/

Shorter one is 48 miles. There was also a white peak gravelly route that someone had put together as a named sort of route, but I forget what it was. Someone on here will know.

I’d be interested in any White Peak gravel/off-road rides too. I read on the forum somewhere The Peak District Pioneer has quite a bit of road riding in it so would prefer something more off-road.

BadlyWiredDog

I’d be interested in any White Peak gravel/off-road rides too. I read on the forum somewhere The Peak District Pioneer has quite a bit of road riding in it so would prefer something more off-road.

I did the shorter Peak District Pioneer route with a mate a month or two back on cross / gravel bikes, erm, one of each. It does have a fair few very quiet back lanes and a very short stretch of the A6, but it felt reasonably balanced to me. It was a nice enough ride and took us down some stuff that neither of us knew despite being relatively local. I guess the issue with ‘gravel’ routes is simply finding enough suitable tracks that join up and aren’t too technical, that said, we’ve ridden a Cut Gate / Roych loop on cross bikes.

jekkyl

How did you get on Pop?

Picto
    Free Member

We rode on Cannock Chase in the end. German war Cemetery, up to Castle Ring, looped round to Longdon Green then over to the Canal near Armitage. Rode along the Canal through Rugeley and back on to the Chase. Coffee at Birches Valley and back to the German War Cemetery. About 30 to 35 miles. Very pleasant ride.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

As Mr Picto said we did a nice route around the Chase but still have some Peaks on the agenda

Superficial
    Free Member

The Eroica route is a bit off road innit? Monsal trail will be annoying, at least in places. It’s always busy with slow riders, kids and walkers IME.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Routes for gravelly rides in the peak’ is closed to new replies.