Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Routes around Newtomore
  • fenboy

I’m off to Newtonmore for a week with the family next Saturday and looking for route ideas! I’ve tried searching on here and know a couple from previous trips to aveimore. But looking for rides I can do from the house we’ve rented in Newtonmore so any tips to put me in the right direction appreciated!! Thinking a day or couple of half days doesn’t have to be technical just getting out!
    Thanks

scotroutes

Head up Glen Banchor. Can be a couple of reasonable fords when it’s been raining.

Along towards Kingussie for Loch Gynack and Creag Bheag

Go south down NCN7 to the A9 and Ralia then cross the A9 to Etteridge or Phones. You can follow the old Wade Road north towards Ruthven Barracks. At the A9 crossing, go straight across, follow the grassy hard shoulder for 100m or so then through a gate. That takes you back under the A9 almost at Ruthven. Head back to Kingussie down the road and then the segregated cycle path.

Laggan isn’t too far away.

If you don’t mind a bit of road bashing, head past Ruthven to Tromie Bridge and Drumguish. Take the Badenoch Way and then explore all the woody singletrack behind Inveruglas and Insh. There’s some really nice stuff around Creag Dubh.

StirlingCrispin

Second for Glen Banchor.

I last rode this in July and the path was boggy and indistinct in places – an old fashioned day out. Pay attention at the bothy – the (new) main track now goes up into the hill, deviating from that shown on the map. You’re looking to follow the river.

I’ve put a map here but can’t embed it: https://goo.gl/photos/hU9J4wzqcFYH5bDs5

fenboy

Thats perfect, thanks guys!

thenorthwind

Cheeky bookmark for a trip to Newtonmore in March.

FWIW, last year I got the bus up to Aviemore and hired a fat bike from Bothy Bikes for the day to have a play. I know it’s not what you asked, but this is STW 😀 and it’s worth considering.

colournoise

Bit of a road bash along to Laggan, lap of the reds, lap of the black, cruise back…

scotchsteve
    Free Member

Fenboy,

I’m actually off back “home” to Kingussie (3 miles down the road) on Sunday for a few days and was looking for some trails as well, stumbled across this website:

MTBtrails.info – Kingussie

Has a load of trails, overviews, some pictures and helpfully maps and gpx files, I think all rider generated – all in all looks like a fantastic resource, so may be of use to you for your trip.

Also If you click on the Trails header at the top it takes you back to a zoomable map of the whole UK and you can then click on to Laggan, Aviemore etc which are nearby.

Steve

oldbloke
    Free Member

As an extension to Scotroutes’ recommendation, you can take the junction to Invernahavon caravan park and routes through the forestry south of that to pop out at falls of Truim. Not technical in any way but the views are good.

Glen Banchor is entertaining. Corrieyairack pass also close by.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Routes around Newtomore’ is closed to new replies.