Routes around Helensburgh?

• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by  mashr.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Routes around Helensburgh?
  • mashr

Done plenty of road out that way, but was wondering if anyone knows any decent off road (either mtb or CX/Gravel) routes? I know there are a couple of MTB trails above the Duchess Woods, but figure they’ll probably be a bog. Other option that comes to mind would be bimbling around Ben Bouie and Duchess Woods on the cross bike, but not sure if that’s really be much cop.

Anyone know of anything worthwhile for a couple of hours? Thanks

aldo56

Lots of good stuff on the mtb, here is a good ride I’ve done:

https://strava.app.link/3eaa7c86D2

Check out trailforks for more information. The trails near “Doras trail” are likely to be swamp like just now but still fun.

mashr

Somewhat scarily I just plotted out that exact route (different start/end points, just so you know I’m not stalking!) last night! Is it enough to justify taking an Enduro bike or worth just exploring around on the CX/Gravel bike?

Not far off route for you, I’ve been up Beinn Dubh walking/running with the family a few times this year, would be a bit of a push up, but it’s lovely up on the horseshoe with awesome views over the Arrochar alps, and what would be a decent descent, especially lower down back to Luss.

Start from Luss primary, up Glen luss and at start of Glen Striddle, it’s a steep grassy push up Mid hill and then follow the fairly obvious path around to Beinn Dubh, and off you go!.

Probably take 2, mibee 2.5 hrs.

There’s some other options in those hills, I’ve not done them, but @Sanny has, mibbe worth giving him a shout.

aldo56

It’s a nice loop! Definitely the enduro bike. Some of the trails would be too rough for a gravel steed and the road sections are all fairly short.

aldo56

Just be wary of the felled area shown on trailforks – some of the trails are completely gone last time I was down. I think Doras and Chuzzys are still untouched but The Boa area is all gone.

mashr

Thanks, big bike it is then. Rode the old stuff years ago, but had seen that it was all now gone. Not sure how much time i’ll have so might need to do some picking and choosing, should be able to get round the Duchess and over Gouk Hill (and back) though, maybe missing out on heading towards the Fruin.

Nobeerinthefridge, did have a play around on Beinn Dubh many moons ago. Just going for something that can be done from the door on this occasion.

I know I always see some reeally nice looking singletrack from the train window, need to go look it up on a map actually…

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

Could follow the john muir way out to arrochar and train back or vice verse (train first would be easier I think.) Or do the out and back.

If you are feeling fit train to arrochar then glen loin loop first and then follow the 3 lochs way back to helensburgh would be a fine gravel route(Or an nice easy mtb bimble.) would be about 70% fire road/double track, 20% road 10% single track. About 35 miles I’d guess, first half fairly hilly (glen loin is a straight up and down affair, then start of the 3 loch ways has a heft climb to start getting easy as you go)

Premier Icon retrobri
    Subscriber

Opens feed with interest as mother in law lives in Helensburgh so I’m in the Area quite a bit….I normally ride Arrochar glen loin loop and Ardgarten loop, might try your suggestion seosamh77 with 3 lochs way

mashr

Never did report back. Got an alright wee ride in the end, obviously it started chucking it down at the furthest point from home!

Went straight up the hill to Dora’s. Should’ve had lights on but otherwise looks like a good wee trail, will definitely head up again when things are a bit drier. Didn’t Shuzzy’s as I expect that’s even wetter. Bit of an adventure trying to find a way through to the trail that goes down the right of the wall, “Tech DH” was so wet it was to be avoided.

Quick blast past the Hill Hours over to Ben Bowie, Christmas Tree photo, then the surprisingly nice steppy trail on the John Muir way (again, from what I could see without lights!). Set myself several turn back points heading further along the way, ignored them all and ended up right down at Stoneymollan. The trails at the very bottom were also a mess but worth a look. Then of course it started really raining. Climb back up and over is fine though shame the run down to the school is lacking a bit of gradient but its ok. Shame it’s also missing a bridge at the bottom!

Thanks for the pointers!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.