Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • routes around Cheddar gorge and Ebbor gorge
  • Keva
    Free Member

As above, does anyone have any mtb routes around Cheddar gorge and Ebbor gorge, I’ll be staying on the campsite just outside Cheddar. I’ve ridden a route round Cheddar before from the campsite but it was five or six years ago and I don’t think I can remember it all. Is there any mtb biking to be had round Ebbor gorge as well, it’s not too far away?

mduncombe
    Free Member

Pay a visit to Bad Ass Bikes at the bottom of Burruington Combe, just the other side of the Mendips, they will point you in the right direction.

http://www.badassbikes.co.uk/

Edric64
    Free Member

Which campsite?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

The rocky path up Ebbor Gorge is a fairly tough walk, not rideable. And the other good stuff there would be very cheeky. Not to worry though, loads of good riding around Cheddar, and the trails are in good nick at the moment. I’m sure you’ll get loads of help here, but email me if you want a GPX route or map.

What sort of riding are you looking for?

andyl
    Free Member

This is a good start: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~davend/fat_tyre.jpg

for ‘official’ trails.

Keva
    Free Member

What sort of riding are you looking for?

just the usual xc stuff, bridleways, a couple of climbs and descents with the inevitable bit of road linking them up. I don’t mind riding a bit of cheeky so long as it doesn’t disturb. 20 odd or a few more miles is a good ride, something to keep me going for a two or three hours, I’ll probably get a bit lost 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Mendip trails have been in superb conditions for the last two months. Long may it continue. Mintyesque:

1. The bridleway on the East side of Cheddar gorge is your starting point. The descent North to the road at the upper-end is steeper and the last 100m rocky/techy. The descent south to Jacobs Tower and then the bridge over the Axe (Edelweiss cafe/Shanaz curry house) is fast/rocky fun. Be aware that the bridelway gets very busy with visitor foot traffic from 10am-5pm so try to avoid that or expect to ride it slowly. The best access to the summit on that side is a FP (largely unused wide gravel farm track) about 1.5 miles further up the gorge road – look at the OS map to work it out

2. The FP on the West side also goes and is interesting, although it’s hike a bike up some steps at the top-end. It splits into 2 FPs as it goes into the woods lower down: take the right-hand FP over a stone stile and mind the next stone stile part way down. The foot traffic warning also applies but it’s the less popular side. The best access is the very steep tarmac lane known as Tuttors Hill, above Tweentown, up past the experimental quarry – again, check the OS map.

3. look for Warrens Hill Road further east on the map, from Tynings Farm toward Cheddar – a fun bridleway with lots of exposed bedrock.

Go for a walk in Ebbor gorge.

Keva
    Free Member

excellent, thanks for the quick replies!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Buzz – you know, I’ve never ridden the west side, always seemed too cheeky to me (I always seem to be with the father of Ms AD when I’m there, he’s a bit of an anti bike activist). I think I’ll try it when it’s quiet next week.

Candodavid
    Free Member

The west side is the techy side

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Which section in particular? The east side, last 100m north to Velvet Bottom is fairly tricky.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

There is no such thing as too cheeky. Only the wrong time of day. 8)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

West side demands fancy pedal work. What Scienceofficer – pick your time and you’ll be fine.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Fancy pedal work eh? Reminds me, I fancy another go at the steps up.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘routes around Cheddar gorge and Ebbor gorge’ is closed to new replies.