Router extender / extension / hub / switch question advice please?

Home Forum Chat Forum Router extender / extension / hub / switch question advice please?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Router extender / extension / hub / switch question advice please?
  • matty456

Morning, I have a virgin router downstairs and a pc upstairs, hard wired with 1 cable. I want to plug in my laptop and at some point a server upstairs. What do I need to do this to keep same speed as 1gbps router please? Thanks.

dobo

all your devices need to be 1gbit or the network wont run at that speed.
    you will need at least cat5e utp cables connecting them all or maybe cat6 but thats overkill imo
    in reality you wont get transfer speeds of 1gbps but will be faster than 10/100

matty456

dobo, thanks for your reply. I’m new at this, not sure what you mean all my devices need to be 1 gbit? I’ve plugged in my old netgear router upstairs and its running at 100mbps, is that ok or should I get one that runs at 1 gbps? Thanks for your help. 🙂

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Power line network adopters are on offer at 7 Day Shop or there’s wireless relay ones too.

greeble

plug this upstairs
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8-port-dynamode-gigabit-10-100-1000-desktop-switch

and all the pc’s laptops into it.

are you transfering large amounts of data? then you don’t really need 1gb

matty456

Thanks for the info chaps. I now know what i need. Because Of the 1gbps at the virgin router i may as well get a 1 gbps switch for future proof. Cheers. 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Router extender / extension / hub / switch question advice please?’ is closed to new replies.