Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Route recommendations near Windermere this weekend?
  • Premier Icon Fat-boy-fat

Hey peeps, going to be down near Windermere this weekend and, with Grizedale essentially being closed  I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for roughly 10 mile loops nearby that are OK with trees down, etc

Premier Icon lookmumnohands
    Free Member

If you want a quick blast then you can’t go wrong with Claife Heights.

Not Gnar by any stretch but you can park at the Ferry and there’s a couple of loops you can build in over the tops and down to Hawkshead.

There’s a few threads (search not working for me) with GPXs and try and build in Colthouse descent if you can, it’s mint.

Premier Icon timf

Not far back to Staveley and the tree free routes up in kentmere.

Premier Icon bongle
    Free Member

A mate went up to Claife Heights on 17th Jan and said that the descent to the lake shore had about 6 sections with big trees down across the path.  Also trees down throughout that area.  Kentmere/Staveley area will definitely be ok.

Premier Icon Fat-boy-fat

Any GPX for the Kentmere stuff? Shame about the trees as Claife Heights seems about right.

Premier Icon lapierrelady

Claife is still not clear, neither was the west shore of windermere at the start of the week. Kentmere all seems fine, Loughrigg is clear also

Premier Icon martinhutch

What’s the Grizedale situation currently?

Premier Icon lapierrelady

Officially, nothing on the west side is open. But there hasn’t been a website update since before Christmas. It would be worth giving bike treks a ring to see what the current situation is. Strava suggests that there is riding happening in the west side, but not clear how frustrated it is by trees down. There are a lot of trees down! And matchell coppice car park on coniston is closed because it is full of felled/cleared trees

Premier Icon lowey

Grizedale is knackered still. West side closed and the Coniston side trails have been decimated by felling. Viking, supanoodle, golden showers etc all gone.

Premier Icon GolfChick
    Free Member

Smidge over 10 miles but this loop is completely clear of trees and you’ll be fine doing it solo.

Staveley loop

Premier Icon Fat-boy-fat

Cheers all. Stavely, Kentmere at lunchtime ramorra it is.

Premier Icon Fat-boy-fat

Cheers for the recommendation. Nice chilled bimble today. A few steep ups that needed a push for me but still all good. I do get the impression I might have done it in the wrong direction (anti clockwise) as I came across a few going the other way round. Saying that, the grassy descent from the last peak down to the road was nice.

Premier Icon GolfChick
    Free Member

If you did what I recommended then yes anti clockwise, however people do portions of it the other way round depending where they’re riding. For example if going to ride Nan Bield it would descend your second climb.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.