Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Route planning
  • claudie

For uk, mtb and hiking. I want to be able to plot my own routes and follow those that others have created and reviewed. Garmin connect, AllTrails and Komoot don’t use os maps so footpaths are often missing. OS appears good but if you are not in a national park you can’t just click on the start and end of a footpath to follow it, you have to put a point on every turn for it to be plotted properly and if you want to return on the same path you can’t simply click return to start, also the reviews are a bit un informative. View ranger seems to be the best and uses os maps but the website is a bit clunky. I’m happy to pay a subscription but what’s popular with STW. There was a thread on this awhile ago where a really complex system was recommended – it needs to be straightforward and easy to get into garmin. Thanks

scotroutes

I don’t think there is any site using OS mapping that let’s you “route” the way you want. The underlying data isn’t there.

whitestone
    Free Member

Bikehike uses both OS and OSM but routing is still a point by point click fest. As Colin says the underlying data hasn’t been made available.

Just going to have to put some work in I’m afraid.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Plotaroute. As ever, no os mapping but it’s pretty awesome in all other regards

supernova

I like plotaroute too for openmap routing, but there’s lots of paths missing from it.
    ViewRanger lets you plot with OS and will stick to paths between points.

slowoldman

I like plotaroute too for openmap routing, but there’s lots of paths missing from it.

That’s because like cycle.travel and many other on line mapping apps it used OSM (Open Street Mapping). The mapping is maintained and updated by anyone who is interested enough to sign up and learn how to use it. If you do that you can add in the missing paths.

MadBillMcMad

walkthelakes.co.uk

No it doesn’t show where others have been but it’s full os mapping.

And yes it’s click by click but it’s simple and just works.

richardkennerley

Doesn’t create a route in Strava do exactly what you want? I know it’s not OS maps but I’ve used it to plot a few routes and they can be exported to gpx.

jekkyl

Justgoride I use, is excellent..
    When plotting routes you can flick between OS, Satellite and map. You click for it follow the road and it often picks up bridleways but you have to sort of lead the route to it. Export as gpx, it’s great.
    https://www.justgoride.co.uk/routes/46412

andykirk
    Free Member

I am not an expert but am currently using Komoot for off-road route plotting – it seems to know most paths in my area anyway and is super easy to use.

martinhutch

Doesn’t create a route in Strava do exactly what you want? I know it’s not OS maps but I’ve used it to plot a few routes and they can be exported to gpx.

It’s OK, but does make some bizarre routing decisions sometimes. It also doesn’t discriminate between different ROWs, just goes purely on popularity.

Justgoride I use, is excellent..

That does look good – although seeing ‘Ordanance Survey’ on the dropdown menu is triggering my OCD a bit! 🙂

epicyclo

One thing to watch with OS (at least in the Highlands) is that paths may no longer exist.

There’s a few in my area where I have followed the “path” and it’s been a hike a bike though heather and bogholes and there’s no trace of the path at all except maybe short sections of a few metres.

That’s not a complaint, just an observation. It’s worth checking the aerial photos when planning a route.

I’ve been tempted to get a small drone for that purpose.

claudie

Thanks for the suggestions, I will give them all a try. I must admit to becoming a bit obsessed with route planning and exploring!

tjagain

geograph helps with epicyclos situation.

pampmyride
    Free Member

I use all trails but check rights of way, if I’m bothered, on https://www.streetmap.co.uk/ which has free OS maps.

thenorthwind

gpxeditor.co.uk seems not to be well known, but I’ve used it a lot in the past and it probably ticks your boxes. Uses OS maps (OSM/OCM/Google also available). Does automatic routing and I’ve found it works on some paths, but not all (possibly uses OSM data, so dependent on that?). It used to be completely free but some of the features (e.g. multiple tracks so you can cut and paste bits of routes) are now subscription only, but at £20 a year, I’m seriously considering it.

husa450
    Free Member

I cant understand the mountain bike riding love for komoot. From bike magazines, GMBN and other social media influencer’s, for planning routes from scratch for off-road bike riding i.e. avoiding footpaths its rubbish and the auto route function cant differentiate between footpaths and bridleways and BOATs etc. Its better for road riding, and you can import gpx where as strava’s new route planner cant. Viewranger and garmin basecamp is the combination I get the most out of, but you need to have purchased the OS maps for garmin.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Komoot is probably the easiest thing to use especially with the “follow ways” function. I just click on a few points along the route and let it do the rest. You can always have bing maps (OS) open in another window is you want to double check the path designation.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Route planning’ is closed to new replies.