Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Route Gurus – help…Aviemore to Blair Atholl?
  • MussEd
    Free Member

Hello, a couple of mates are taking me out of my comfort zone next week with a sojourn from Aviemore to Blair Atholl. I’m not regular round that way and the only info I can squeeze out of my control freak pal who’s organising is this
    “Aviemore – Lairig Ghru – White Bridge – Falls of Tarf – Glen Tilt – Blair Atholl”

Can anyone who is familiar with this enlighten me as to what to expect. In terms of terrain, ascent/ descent, technical difficulty etc? Just any knowledge in general really? Thanks in advance…

13thfloormonk

Tell him to skip the Lairig Ghru and do the Lairig an Laoigh, both end up in the same place, but the Lairig an Laoigh is actually rideable for a lot of it, and no boulder fields.

Once you’re in at White Bridge its mostly gentle landy track for a while with a couple of fords, then it gets a little softer and muddier before the top of Glen Tilt, at which point you have an excellent singletrack traverse/descent to the Falls of Tarf before a pretty chilled landy track finish.

Great route.

ton

2nd what the monk said.

can i come?…………. 8)

bajsyckel

Or go round the other way, via feshie. Although Laoigh is less frequented nowadays I reckon (if that is important).

MussEd
    Free Member

Ton- thought you were off the bike on health grounds? Hope you’re on the mend big man!

MussEd
    Free Member

Btw I’ve suggested 13thMonks route change, will see what he say…

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Good route. **** the L a L – you can always ride it when you’re an old man 😉

billyboy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t do the Lairig Ghru on a bike either.
    I did walk the Lairig an Laoigh once, but it’s so long ago I can’t give you an informed opinion as to rideability. It does go to the east of Cairngorm though, whereas you need to essentialy go to the west, so I’m guessing it will be longer

The Gaik Pass and Glen Tromie would be vastly easier and a shorter route to Blair Atholl. Glen Feshie and the Geldie Burn then falls Of Tarf and Glen Tilt is a rideable alternative which would still give you a fair bellyfull of a Highland day out.

Sanny
    Free Member

Rode Pitlochry to Aviemore a few years back in a day. It was either the Gaick or Minigaig we took – will need to check the map to be sure.

Quite like the Lairigh an Laogh option. Sounds good. Pull up from Glenmore will be a fair bit of carrying. Most of the Lairigh an Laogh should be doable then it’s fairly non tech to Blair Atholl.

lorettocourt
    Free Member

I’m with Heather Bash – do the easier routes when you’re an old man – get the hard stuff done while you’re young enough to enjoy it 😉 😉

MussEd
    Free Member

Knew you would come on to see what was said you control freak!

lorettocourt
    Free Member

LOL!!!! Know me too well mate – stop fretting – will be a long hard day but its all good for you 😉 Anyway – its not dark til late!

lorettocourt
    Free Member

P.S. – I like the sound of Sannys route if the weather is totally shocking.

ampthill

I think we went upto Nethy bridge. Good track up Strath Nethy. Carry over to fords of Avon. Over Lairig an Laoigh to Derry Lodge, Linn of Dee, white bridge then down Glen tilt. Its a while back and we certainly did the bit to Derry lodge and I know we ended up in Fortwilliam

the book exploring scottish hill tracks by ralph storer was excellent

We had an over night stop in Strath nethy and anothe some where after white bridge

13thfloormonk

*feeling slighted*

I just remember the descent to Ryvoan from the L an L, big **** rocks jumping up and bending chainrings and getting stuck between the cranks and the frame, probably less fun as a climb… 8)

Oh, and forget the Gaick pass, hours of tedium for 500m of nice singletrack, waste of time.

marty
    Free Member

descent to Ryvoan is having work done on it at the moment. some of the features could be described as anti-bike.

path down to fords of avon is still tough going, just in case anyone thinks it’s a buff bit of singletrack.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Good track up Strath Nethy<

?

I suggest that might be far less pleasurable than the LG 😉 At least it is in that direction…

Per Marty, the L a L from spot height 818 (North) will shortly all be machine made path. Likewise the LG is being re done from the fork near Rothiemurchus Lodge as far South as the path off Braeriach. Estate not keen on the bike publicity the Northern end of the LG gets btw.

ampthill

OK this is all from memory about 20 years ago

I meant easy to ride not interesting

NOT done the LG so can’t say if its better or worse

Sanny
    Free Member

Aye, they were working on the Lairig Ghru when I rode off the summit of Braeriach a couple of weeks ago. The stone pitched water bars make for hoppy fun at speed.

What’s the story with the Larig an Laogh descent to Ryvoan, Marty?

Whatever you do, never ever EVER do Strath Nethy ( starts to rock back and forth in a corner) – it’s a complete waste of time. Only nice weather saved it from being a complete trauma………..

marty
    Free Member

What’s the story with the Larig an Laogh descent to Ryvoan, Marty?
    mainly just great big waterbars on the repaired* path, but there are a couple of odd ones on the fall line section of trail – look a bit like this – which i can’t see any reason for other than to control bike speed**.

* much needed as it’s sprawling out into the heather, despite the central section not appearing to be too unpleasant to walk on.
    ** maybe not such a bad thing

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Sorry to drag this up, just saw it just now.

Did a wee 2 day trip a few weeks back, Started at a pals house in Boat of Garten, cycled the back roads\forrests to Ryvoan Bothy, then headed up Bynack More. The new path is pretty good for ascending and we managed to ride up to about 750m ASL, pushed the rest to the high point. The path seemed quite sanitised, not sure what it was like before but can imagine that the decent would have lost some of its appeal.

Coming down from Bynack more to Fords of Avon refuge was rough, rocky and slow going, very easy to damage the bike here i.e. bent discs or chainrings etc. we took a bit of a battering but it was mostly ridable.

From the refuge we went onto Lairig an Laoigh. I’d say that Lairig an Laoigh was mostly unridable. bikes were loaded with bothy kit but it was just not fun at all. Once on Glen Derry we were back on the bike again and picking up speed.

Over night stop in Bob Scotts bothy to meet some pals for the night. Too much whisky, not enough water = much puking in the middle of the night! my “pals” dragged me outside to sleep under the stars 😆 don’t blame them really!

In the morning we headed to Braemar, Invercauld and up over the old drove road that finally leads to Tomintoul. From here there was about a 25k ride back on the road to Boat of Garten.

Great two days appart from Lairig an Laoigh (hated that bit and will never do it again) and the hangover in the morning. Roughly 35k on day 1 and the 75ish on day 2.

Anyone want to buy a slightly stinking thermarest?

13thfloormonk

*mental note: don’t invite Paul on any bothy expeditions…*

😉

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Ha ha…i’ll bring whisky 😆

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Route Gurus – help…Aviemore to Blair Atholl?’ is closed to new replies.