Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Route from Langsett – Leeds on the MTB
  • el_boufador

Hello, looking for some route advice.

I have a kind of half a plan to ride from my sisters house in Sheffield, back home to Leeds with a mid ride bivi, over the B/hol weekend.

I’m fine with the peaks routes bit however when I get to Langsett (over cut gate) my knowledge goes dry.

The way I look at it I can either

1) Ride all the way back to Leeds

2) Ride to Hudds and get the train back to Leeds

3) Sack it mostly off and just ride to Penistone and get the train back to Leeds via Hudds.

For options 1 and 2, are there any decent quality and reasonably rapid mostly off road routes through those areas? Would be great to hear any suggestions!

I guess also bear in mind that I will probably be wanting to get back to Leeds asap (for family duties), so will want quite fast tracks and won’t be wanting to sniff out hidden singletrack (be theree is plenty, but I won’t have much time to look probably, and will be knackered from riding some big miles through the peak the day before).

If it’s looking a ball ache I will probably just sack it off and do option 3.

Thanks for any help!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I know someone who used to ride Sheffield to Shipley pretty much all off road on a cx bike.

Apparently involved going through some not very nice parts of Barnsley.

I know that doesn’t really help 🙂

markshires
    Free Member

You can pretty much pick up the TPT from the back of langsett and follow that all the way to Leeds. Majority of it is off road gravel tracks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    el_boufador

Cool thanks both, will take a look at the tpt

antigee

FunkyDunc – Member
    I know someone who used to ride Sheffield to Shipley pretty much all off road on a cx bike.

Apparently involved going through some not very nice parts of Barnsley.

that latter part is correct for the TPT route which heads quite far east and then up thru Selby I think, 5 years since left the area hope the signposting has improved 🙁

do the Leeds trains run thru Slaithwaite? – Langsett to Holme and over the top to Slaithwaite – googlemaps shows a green dotted “cyclist friendly” route which would pretty much be the route I’d suggest

ton

tpt is quite good
    I have ridden from rothwell to Sheffield on it. pretty all offroad and on bike paths. a branch runs to Penistone from elsacar.

antares
    Free Member

When you get to Langsett you could head East towards Penistone and pick the TPT up there and head towards Barnsley, then go North on the TPT to Wakefield where the TPT goes to Leeds but it does take a bit of a wide berth and goes through Methley and Woodlesford before ending in Leeds city centre.

ton

I also know a more direct route, that goes via high hoyland-horbury-kirkhamgate.
    a lot of cheeky but nice bits. needs a bit of local know how to jiggle it together.

martinhutch

If you’ve got two days, why not loop further west and pick up PBW at some point, do one side of the Mary Townley Loop then pick up the Calder Aire Link past Bingley to hit the Leeds Liverpool Towpath at Shipley?

Should be fairly quick, and you could always get the train out to Edale/Chinley/New Mills to make it quicker.

el_boufador

Thanks all, will check out those suggestions and do some strava snooping in the locations you suggest ton. Unfortunately I haven’t got two days, I’ve got an afternoon/evening and an early morning, would look to be doing something epic if i had the two days!

flaps
    Free Member

I live in Rotherham and the TPT runs straight past my house (by Old Moor) so I use it quite regularly. What antares says is spot on and that’s the route i’d take.
    I’ve done here to Langsett and it’s not a bad ride, pretty easy though apart from the initial hills from the res. I’ve not yet ridden to Leeds though, but have been as far as Wakey (Newmillerdam). Lundwood’s a bit rough, I got a huge nail in my new wheel under the bridge there, but as soon as you hit the canal it picks up.
    Ask away if you have any route questions.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Route from Langsett – Leeds on the MTB’ is closed to new replies.