Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Route advice wanted around Aviemore
  • NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi all going on a little trip to Scotland next month and have booked some accommodation at Aviemore. Was planning to do the route from this site that goes around Loch Morlech etc.
    However last weekend I got up there for a bit of a recce and thought that although it was very picturesque it was not really what I was looking for.
    Really looking for a nice 4/5 hour route with some good single track that is close to Aviemore. Bit of hike a bike is fine and a bit of tech is also good. Anyone local got any good advice. I asked in the local shop but they didn’t have a lot of info. 🙂

fergal
    Free Member

Yep real shame the trails are really sanatised in the local, used to live in the area, can’t believe how it has changed, even the easy trails that used to have a few roots, technical bits have been turned into trails suitable for mobility scooters, Can bam mor is a good descent, alas with a mega climb, on the other side of Glen Feshie there is a fantabulistic singletrack descent untouched at present, goes over the shoulder of a hill.

duir
    Free Member

Even Carn Ban Mor has had some work done that ruins part of the descent. Someone decided to sanitise a part of it and build some awful drainage features a few of which are down right dangerous. Hope they don’t do it all the way up the mountain.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

There must be some good riding in the area surely!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

There’s more riding around Aviemore than you could exploit in 2 weeks of perfect weather. 3 sources of information:
    1) Search STW for threads mentioning Aviemore
    2) Plenty of MTB books with route suggestions
    3) Speak to the guys at Bothy Bikes

fergal
    Free Member

So where would you suggest Mainwaring that isn’t on the tops, more sanitised footpaths for the elderly? Latest travisty in path building is the Bynack mor path, shoddy peice of work, the NP is turning the place into a theme park, follow the yellow brick road.

The Cairngorms were as near as dam it a wilderness, rough and rugged, now? a manmade network of stone pitched trails, i have been on better more interesting trails in the Quantocks alps 😀

coogan
    Free Member

Burma Road is a great route. Two big climbs and some fantastic descents.

fergal
    Free Member

Don’t believe the hype, landy track, the trail that cuts left at the top is a bog.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t believe the hype, landy track, the trail that cuts left at the top is a bog.

+1

Burma road is a nice ride in terms of views, but as a ride, it’s very disappointing.

People rave about Aviemore, but tbh, I prefer the lakes, and I live in Scotland. Granted, I haven’t ridden all the trails up that way, but I’ve been a wee bit let down by the riding, and that saddens me.

coogan
    Free Member

Must have done a different Burma Road route I did then. It was ace.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just my opinion, as ever, Coogan. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

And this is the problem about recommending routes. I go up to Aviemore frequently. I love the trails round there – especially the rooty, pine-needle strewn tracks and the fact that there is a huge network of stuff to explore, all the way from Glen Feshie up to Nethybridge. But that’s me, and what I like doing. If it’s not as “gnarly” as some folk are expecting, I’m gong to be letting them down if I come up with suggestions.

Maybe it’s come to the point where what everyone needs to do is go out and explore for themselves and to stop relying on the internet for their “quick fix” which would be better supplied by a trail centre.

fergal – Member
    The Cairngorms were as near as dam it a wilderness, rough and rugged,

The Cairngorms has been a managed landscape for generations.

fergal – Member
    So where would you suggest Mainwaring that isn’t on the tops, more sanitised footpaths for the elderly? Latest travisty in path building is the Bynack mor path, shoddy peice of work, the NP is turning the place into a theme park, follow the yellow brick road.

IIRC, one of the roles of the National Park is to encourage access for all. Seems to me that they are doing their job.

fergal
    Free Member

Well the thing is i did go out and explore circa 1990’s, i have been back recently and all the old trails are no more, the park has become homogenized, catering to the lowest common denominator, the scenery is nice, but i guess if you sell that shortbread tin image, from the humongous industrial scale network of manmade stone pitched paths and visitor centres, you apeal to the less adventurous in society, who want everything to be provided, including, smooth sterile trails, where they don’t even have to get muddy shoes, i certainly don’t really look forward to going back.

druidh
    Free Member

the humongous industrial scale network of manmade stone pitched paths and visitor centres,

There’s evidently some other Aviemore of which I am less acquainted 🙄

fergal
    Free Member

OK i will concede, maybe a little over enthusiastic with the word industrial in relation to visitor centres, the path building however is on an industrial scale.

To me the lanscape in a National park should be preserved, with as little manmade interference as possible, not only are these paths rubbish to ride, they are a blot on the landscape, they could be maintained in a far more natural less intrusive way.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

fergal – Member

So where would you suggest Mainwaring that isn’t on the tops, more sanitised footpaths for the elderly?

See, it’s that kind of attitude and comment that makes STW a poorer place. You take a couple of minutes of your life to try and be a bit helpful and someone, not even the OP who posed the question, makes some crass critical remark. If you don’t have anything constructive or informative to say then don’t say it.

To me the lanscape in a National park should be preserved, with as little manmade interference as possible, not only are these paths rubbish to ride, they are a blot on the landscape

Well that’s the point of the paths. Walker numbers have increased dramatically and are creating huge eroded scars all over the place, most noticable around boggy areas. It’s well proven that if you create a good path, walkers stick to them, which prevents much wider and more visible erosion. The paths may not be as fun to ride, and they may present a “sanitised” perception, but they are better than the alternative of allowing unrestricted erosion

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Ok I asked the question………….. so does anyone know any good routes in the area?

druidh
    Free Member

YGM 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

Go in and see Dave and the guys in Bothy Bikes.

They’ve moved to Dalfaber at the far end of the village and are well worth seeking out. Sound, solid advice on trails and conditions. Their advice is free but it’s always worth spending a few quid while you are there as they are running a business after all!

They’ll see you right and have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the area.

Fergal

Don’t worry, fella, there’s still plenty of cracking riding to be had despite the Park’s concerted effort to spend more money than they need to on stone pitched and drainage ditched trails when there are cheaper alternatives that are just as effective but more bike friendly. 😀

kcr
    Free Member

As noted above, there are many miles of tracks between Feshie and Carrbridge. However, these are not waymarked, and some is not obvious, so it is difficult to describe routes (I have been fortunate to ride with people who have been exploring the area for years and know lots of good singletrack and interesting routes, so I’m usually just following their wheels!).
    If you study an OS map of the area and go exploring, you will find plenty of stuff to occupy your holiday.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, went into what was bothy bikes shop on ski road now another shop and couldnt get much info.
    I agree the stuff around Feshie is great, got taken out around there by a local and loved it not sure I could find it all now!
    Would just like to have a route on the map before we arrive rather than turn up and go looking.

Sanny
    Free Member

Like I said, speak to Dave and the guys in Bothy Bikes now in Dalfaber. They’ll see you right.

Very disappointing to see their lease terminated at the site in Inverdruie given how much they’ve done to promote responsible biking in the area and the sport in general. No harm to Mikes Bikes as it’s another local business taking up an opportunity that was presented to them by the Estate to run a bike hire outlet on the old Bothy Bikes site but I’d rather give my hard earned to Bothy Bikes.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Route advice wanted around Aviemore’ is closed to new replies.