Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Route advice.. Rhayader to Devils Bridge
  • Nick

And back again? Any advice? Lots of options not sure where to start really!

Looks like lots of possibilities south of Devils Bridge (Pont-rhyd-y-groes/Teifi Pools way) whats the best stuff, if any there?

If I wanted to include the Doethie Valley on an epic tour of the area, any tips for getting there from the north or east?

Cheers

Evesie
    Free Member

One of my favorite epic days out if you want to do a loop is round Claerwen, drop down E.Llyn Egnant, Frongoch, Strata Florida, road/fireroad SE Moel Prysgau, head S along the old Roman road (the splashes?) to road S of Nant-ystalwyn, head S down road to junct W to Soar-Y-Myndd, carry on up track head W to Doethie Valley, down the gorgeous valley to farm, then up NE to Llyn Briane dam, down to road E to fire road over Cwm Henog, 40mph+ downhill to Llanwrtyd, up Irfon valley road, R at Abergwesyn, BW N /NE around Bryn Clun & over Carnau ( good ST over top)v.fast descent down to Rhiwant. First did this route as a scouting mission for the now defunct Iron Lemming for Trailbreak, some of it was used in the event.It’s a proper day out. Need to get back over there for another fix…

nickc

Not over Monks Trod would be my only advice

Nick

Cheers

Couple of q’s, is the track south of Dolgoch no good?

Which is the Monks Trod? is that the ‘Ancient Road’ from Esgair Rhiwlan to Llyn Egnant?

scratch
    Free Member

is the track south of Dolgoch no good?

The track from Dolgoch to Llyn Brianne doesn’t exist on the ground.

Which is the Monks Trod? is that the ‘Ancient Road’ from Esgair Rhiwlan to Llyn Egnant?

Yeah that’s the one, worth a punt if it’s been dry for a while, not really a winter ride.

Stunning part of Wales, quite tempted to head up that way myself soon.

scratch
    Free Member

Evesie’s route would be a belter,

If you did want to head to Devils Bridge I’d do the dual track around Clearwen follow the road up to the Swedish looking house (the one before Tynfon) and head north over to Blean-Marchnant, follow it round and head into the forestry at Coed Bwlchgwallter down to Dologau, then link one of the bridleways to get over the hill to Devils Bridge.

Nick

Yeah it does look magic, what I’m trying to do is put together a two or even three dayer, staying at a bothy nearish to a pub with days of around 40 miles….

Surfr
    Free Member

Ask around on mtb-wales.com I know there’s some routes in the Elan Valley (which goes from Devils Bridge (well Cymystwyth) to Rhaeder via the 4 dams)

nostoc
    Free Member

if you do the monks trod then skip the western end and cut down to the farm at Claerwen – this makes the riding/wading ratio more acceptable

Ambrose

Take a looky here…

http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/rr049.html

Route passes two bothies. 40 miles is. I last rode it in November and it was hardgoing over the top from Carnau down to Rhiwnant. In the summer the Nant Paradwys is fantastic. That day it was a real slog.

I seem to remember that IMBA had a X Wales route passing through the area too.

I can email *.mmo files for all the routes mentioned above if you want.

Dan- I’m feeling like you are, so I’m off to Moel Prysgau me thinks tommorrow.

molgrips
    Free Member

The downhill off the “ancient road” is good but it goes awol for a good section across the tops, unfortunately. Someone needs to get up there and make some singletrack 🙂

sofatester
    Free Member

Maybe even a cafe and bike wash as well? Perhaps some grading and way markers? 😆

nostoc
    Free Member

If I’m going that way I climb up through the forest at Llanerch-yrfa and over Drygarn Fawr to top of Nant Paradwys.
    It is always hard going in places but no harder than Ambrose’s route climbing from Trallwm. Up by the cairns on Drygarn Fawr is one of my favourite places – really peaceful and miles from anywhere.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Monks trod = wellies in summer.

Ambrose

The Cafe at Trallwm is a real double edged sword. Super grub but if you stop you are doomed!

I’ve never done the Llanyrch Yrfa to Drygarn climb in the summer. It’s fun in the snow though!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Route advice.. Rhayader to Devils Bridge’ is closed to new replies.