Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • route advice please… Thatcham to Wayfarers Walk
  • sheck

Afternoon… need to get to Marlborough, preferably offroad, next weekend from Thatcham, and thought if I can find a decent route across the the Wayfarers Walk, then the 2nd half of the trail is self-explanatory… any tips for linking Thatcham to the Wayfarers – perhaps via Greenham common? Thanks

cinnamon_girl

Looks as though you can use minor roads to the S of Thatcham which means that you could ride along Watership Down. Fantastic scenery and one of my favourite areas. 8)

Presumably after WW you’ll follow the NCN through Savernake?

Edit: Or you can drop down to Hungerford and pick up the River Kennet bridleways.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Part of my 40 mile route is heading on the canal to Kintbury, then the back single lanes to Inkpen and across to Coombe Gibbet to ride back along the wayfarers towards Ladle Hill. But you can go right at Coombe and head to Malborough that way.

Keva
    Free Member

Greenham common would be the longer but better route. From the common you can cross the Basingstoke road and head towards Adbury. From there you can cut across Newtown Common passed Heather world Stud and then head towards the Wayfarers up Ladle or Sydmonton Hill (different names for the same place) From there you can ride to Combe Gibbet via Highclere and on towards Hungerford.

The other way would be to take the canal towpath through Newbury and towards Kintbury. Just before Kintbury you can turn off at Sheppards bridge and go up Irish Hill and head towards Inkpen. Cross Inkpen Common and head towards Combe Gibbet and the Wayfarers via West Woodhay and go up Adders Copse for a bit of a climb.

you should be able to find those place names on a local 1:50000 map and there’s a whole network of tracks a lanes round there.

sheck

Thanks for the suggestions

CG: yes will go NCN through Savernake

Re Greenham Common, is there an obvious trail across it (I’m guessing the dotted black line on my map is the runway?)

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Head to the left of the silos and there is the road which takes you down to the Basingstoke Road, cross over there and head up the road. Greenham has plenty of singletrack hidden in the woods and is free to roam, wherever you want.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘route advice please… Thatcham to Wayfarers Walk’ is closed to new replies.