• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ASC.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Route advice needed, Dolgellau to Barmouth via Cadair Idris
  • captain_bastard
    Free Member

Stopping off near Dolgellau as part of a multi day ride, want to take in Cadair Idris on route to Barmouth. Ideally I’d be heading pretty much straight up and over Cadair, the obvious route up Cadair would be the pony path, but looks like only the southern stretch is a BW? Anyone know if the stretch from Ty-nant is rideable?

Cheers

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Somehow, while living in Dolgellau in the early 1980s as a young whippersnapper, I never went up Cadair… End of! 😥

Back then, it was lovely around Llyn Gwernan and Llynnau Cregennen.

Strava shows a cat1 climb segment from around Ty Nant, but it’s a bit ominous that it only has four riders ever, albeit it diverts from the lower part of “Foxes path.” http://www.strava.com/segments/3450200

dirtydog
    Free Member

If you install Stravistix (browser plugin) you will be able to access Strava heatmap,usually a good indication as to whether route is ridable.

Tiger6791

It’s not really rideable, the only ‘proper’ route up is the Pony path and its an up / down same route affair.

Cadair is not bike access friendly

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Hmmm, thought that was the case, but thanks for the conformation, saves a painful push up. Still think I’ll have a crack at the pony path, just with a longer ride around to the start

Tiger6791

Out of Dol on the Mawddach to Arthog then up to Bomber lane (which is nice) and there’s a proper road climb to get there. (I say road its more like a tarmac ramp)

https://goo.gl/maps/rhMtbHEZkLt

(just follow that up on Google maps and you’ll get the idea 😯 )

When you get to the end of that tarmac (crossroads) go straight up on the dirt track, double track over hill, long downhill on tarmac.

(look out for plaque)

Then back lanes to Pony Path

Tiger6791

Just realised Pony path is Google streetviewed so you can preview the dullness 😀

https://goo.gl/maps/2oGkH4nvp6D2

ASC
    Free Member

I’ve spent a fair bit of time around that way. I’d agree with comments above Ty-Nant is a bike carry mostly and I’ve walked up Pony but I’ve not biked up.

I reckon if you’re happy to push/carry at times there’s a doable route from Dol up to Cregennen. There’s a path that runs parallel with road, I’ve ridden parts the other way. It starts at a pretty steep grassy bank off a lane then it’s okay dropping you down to YH. You’re back up again then to the lakes.
    I’ve never done that route but would be tempted 🙂 down the ramp then to Mawwdach trail.

Lovely part of the world!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Route advice needed, Dolgellau to Barmouth via Cadair Idris’ is closed to new replies.