• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Round Trip Routing resource?
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m getting a bit set in my ways, riding the same loop over and over and I need a bit of a change. As a non-driver I’m restricted to door-to-door rides.

My Garmin Oregon has a Round Trip Routing function (from the “Where To” section) but unfortunately it’s rather basic taking just a distance & starting point before spitting out some loops (unhelpfully named as Route 1, Route 2, Route 3 etc. plus the Garmin display isn’t the best for working out where you’ll be going).

Ideally, in addition to mileage, I’d like to be able to specify an amount of climbing & perhaps some points of interest to send me off in a given direction and, of course, feature avoidance (busy roads etc.) would be handy; are there any online services/sites what will do this?

I could always sit down and plan something of course, but I just wondered what’s out there.

whitestone
    Free Member

What maps have you got on the Oregon? I’ve both Ordnance Survey and OSM (not displayed at the same time obviously), both fine for knowing where you are and for following a route.

One of the higher Edge series has a “route suggest feature”, can’t remember which one as I don’t have it, that does pretty much most of what you are looking for.

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve got the Topo Light UK & Ireland v7 map from Garmin; it’s based on OSM data (but I think that there are some extras on top).

jimdubleyou

You can probably do a bit better on the Garmin Connect website – it does popularity based routing & stuff like that.

Probably not all the features you want thought

alanw2007

Komoot will do what you want. You can choose start point, waypoints, and end point plus what kind of route (road, gravel, mtb) and how hard you want.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Komoot +1

Although its not perfect as it relies on osm mapping so doesnt know the difference betweeen a bridleway and a footpath sometimes or equally will avoid some footpaths that in real life you would happily ride. Or two trails to the top of a hill which end arround the summit, if they dont actually meet then it wont route from one to another. So you still need some local knowlege to tweak the routes.

dknwhy

My Garmin 1000 has a routing option where you choose the distance and profile and it gives three options with elevation data. Has worked well when i’ve visited random places.

Failing that, Komoot and cyclemap.net are good for round trip routing. Komoot can sync straight to device for newer Garmins with the IQ app thingy.

thepurist

Cycle.travel will suggest round trip routes of whatever length you want, and it acoids busy roads as much as it can.  You can add in ‘via’ points too.   I used one on Tueuday, exported to GPX then uploaded o Garmin all OK.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Komoot or RidewithGPS

whitestone
    Free Member

If something’s wrong on OSM then fix it! Simple (and free) to sign up.

Editing is a little tricky as it’s not as simple as marking a route as a “bridleway” as that’s a UK (OK, England and Wales) specific legal designation. When you click on a feature one of the options is “Allowed access” and that’s not a simple yes/no for each category of user – https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access for instance there’s a bridleway near us that goes across a ford, there’s a footbridge (a 12×12 timber with handrails) in case the beck is flooding. That footbridge has the following permissions: all -> no; foot -> yes; motor vehicles -> no; horses -> no; bicycles -> dismount.

After that it depends on how often new versions of the base map are generated and how often Komoot and other users pick up those versions.

Apologies for the waffle!

PJay
    Free Member

That’s great, thanks for all the pointers.

My Oregon is a 700 so does have Connect IQ capability.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Round Trip Routing resource?’ is closed to new replies.