Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Roughly, how much will my decking cost?
  • twoniner
    Free Member

Looking at getting some raised deck done, the plan was for me to build it but with working away all week and only home at the weekends I cant see it happening.

I’m after something like this.

Mine will be raised about 3ft, out from the house about 14ft and about 15ft wide with some steps.

Nothing too fancy, just really as you see in the photo (I nicked off google)

Going to look at getting quotes over the weekend but wondered if any of you have had similar. I’m hoping for no more than £2000.

jam-bo

Won’t that need planning?

seavers
    Free Member

Just a guide below…you really should look into planning regs for what you want.

Situations Requiring Planning Permission;

* Where the deck is situated within 20 metres of a highway.

* Where the deck platform is more than 300mm (1 ft) from the ground (effective 1 October 2008).

* If the structure would affect the amenity value or privacy of neighboring properties.

* If the deck is attached to a listed building or situated in a conservation area or National Park.

* Decking area covers more than 50% of the total garden area.

Edukator
    Free Member

Add the cost of a hospital stay when it gets slippy and you fall over, and the cost of getting rid when you get fed up with sliding around (unless you have a wood burner).

twoniner
    Free Member

Won’t that need planning?

Only part of it that needs planning is the fact it’s over a foot off the ground. It’s not technicaly planning you need. I have written to the council with a detailed plan and it’s had the ok.

spooky_b329

Quick hi-jack – does the planning apply if whilst terracing a garden, the ground level is raised more than 300mm whilst cutting into a slope and building up the lower side?

wrightyson
    Free Member

That 300 mm rule is utter bolloxks really as I stated on another thread recently. A good sized span and you’d want a 200mm joist, 34/36 mm deck, a slight slope of 67 mm front to back and your bloody over it!

twoniner
    Free Member

No I dont think so. The whole Planning or dropping your local council a quick line all came about because people were kicking the arris out of it when building some decks.

Most people dont bother with runing it passed the council but I like to do things by the book where poss. Plus my house overlooks some that are a bit futher down, it only takes one of them to whinge!

br
    Free Member

Where the deck is situated within 20 metres of a highway.

That should cover 95% of UK properties…

The cost will be dependent on the quality of the job, but if you are paying for an all-in-price as per your pic you’ll be lucky/unlucky to get one under £2k.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i was in B+Q the other day and a bloke in an orange and black shirt asked me if i wanted decking……….luckily i got the first punch in

ill get my coat

wrightyson
    Free Member

I reckon there’s at least £500 worth of hand railing there btw so ya 2k might be a little bit optimistic.

twoniner
    Free Member

i was in B+Q the other day and a bloke in an orange and black shirt asked me if i wanted decking……….luckily i got the first punch in

ill get my coat

tinybits
    Free Member

I just had a quote for a 5m x 5m raised deck built for £5k. When I stopped laughing, I got a second quote for £1k labour plus materials. I then decided to find materials and after striking lucky with wicks doing a half price sale on 4.8m boards, I then started in joists etc. robins timber merchants in Bristol were very good value. I think with paying a Gardner to give
    me a hand, ill be about £600 all in. Mind you, it’s not built and I’m not sure how the finished product is going to look!

pjm84
    Free Member

A lot more than 2k.

footflaps

Add the cost of a hospital stay when it gets slippy and you fall over, and the cost of getting rid when you get fed up with sliding around (unless you have a wood burner).

What are you on about? Decking is grooved so you always have grip. I put some decking steps up a few years back and it’s never been slippy in the wet or winter.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Decking is grooved so you always have grip.

My brother’s decking is lethal. It’s in a shaded part of the garden and when it’s wet, which is a great deal of the time, it’s more slimy and slippery than a Tory.

I can’t see how the grooves would give you grip, they just provide you with less surface for your shoes to come in contact with. I assume they are there to provide channels for excess water.

Unless of course the soles of your shoes are furnished with simular grooves, in which case if you walk in the correct direction they should provide excellent grip.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s the slime that grows on it that’s slippy, not the deck. Jet wash it every couple of years and it’s fine.

bensales
    Free Member

Factor in some money for pest control. You will get rats living under it.

I can’t wait to rip out our decking and put a decent patio down.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Jet wash it every couple of years and it’s fine.

I’m surprised that it takes as long as 2 years for slime causing bacteria and algae to grow.
    I would have thought that a couple of weeks is all that is required.

5thElefant
    Free Member

No, takes a couple of years to get slimy. I assume the wood treatment helps stop the buildup. You can get anti-slime sprays too (or use a mild acid) – I just jetwash though.

slackalice
    Free Member

Will depend to a degree as to where you live in the country. Also how much leg work and effort and time you are prepared to invest personally. Yes, you can get some cracking deals on materials if you shop around. For most tradesmen, time = money and the amount saved can be offset by the time spent researching, specifying, ordering etc.

If I was taking on that job and you wanted to buy the materials, I would need to spend time putting a cut list together. Time being the operative word.

If you’re not willing to invest any of your own time, then suck it up, get a few quotes and pay a professional to do the whole job to your requirements. It’s really that easy.

marcus7
    Free Member

I’ve never slipped on my decking even in ice and snow, in fact the stone paving was far worse and it was part of the reason i replaced it, as long as its kept clean and treated it is fine, the grooves are to keep pooling water to a minimum and should create drianage channels if fitted correctly. I did it myself and it took about 4 weekends and was more expensive than i had expected, also use the longest lengths you can get to reduce joints which are a pain, hidden fasteners are a good idea too!.

twoniner
    Free Member

You will get rats living under it.

Not with our cat, he’s a midless killer 😆

Will depend to a degree as to where you live in the country. Also how much leg work and effort and time you are prepared to invest personally. Yes, you can get some cracking deals on materials if you shop around. For most tradesmen, time = money and the amount saved can be offset by the time spent researching, specifying, ordering etc.

If I was taking on that job and you wanted to buy the materials, I would need to spend time putting a cut list together. Time being the operative word.

If you’re not willing to invest any of your own time, then suck it up, get a few quotes and pay a professional to do the whole job to your requirements. It’s really that easy.

I would love to do it myself but time isnt on my side.

I am more than happy to invest a lot of my time sourcing wood and materials.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Roughly, how much will my decking cost?’ is closed to new replies.