Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Roubaix or Diverge
  • wiggles
    Free Member

Looking at getting my first proper road bike, narrowed it between these two, have ridden an Roubaix and liked it can get a demo on a diverge if I want as well.

£2k models in both.

The Roubaix is rival (hydro disc) group set with fsa chain set. Main plus being it is carbon but I prefer shimano, negatives are no rack/mudguard mounts.

Diverge is the smartweld Ali frame, with 105 11 speed discs. So prefer the group set and the fact it will take proper guards but will I regret having an Ali frame?

Will be used for a (short so not a major factor) commute and for rides when I haven’t got time for the MTB to try and improve my fitness.

Just rambling really as I really can’t decide on which is the best…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Commuting, even a short one, if you’re doing it all year round, means mudguards and a rack. For that reason alalone, I’d go for the Diverge.

The Smartweld frames are excellent, by the way.

Disclaimer – I have a Diverge Expert.

wiggles
    Free Member

Yeah that is what my head says, my current acient commuter has full guards and it is great in the wet and something like raceblades on the roubaix would work but be less than ideal.

Just something in me feels bad about buying a £2k Ali framed bike. Also the fact that is a bolt through front but not rear is a little annoying as upgrading the wheels might be a bit of a pain in the future.

The carbon diverge is just too much at the moment although it does seem like the perfect answer…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Don’t bother; both bad value for money. Get a Giant. Or one of those new Mason cycles.

wiggles
    Free Member

Decided on specialized already, I don’t have to pay “normal” prices so value for money not much of an issue.

drlex
    Free Member

Annoyingly, the model between CFH’s Expert and the smartweld, the Carbon Comp, is available in Europeland for around the same price as the smartweld – linky
    As a Roubaix owner, I’m still keen on buying a Diverge, so I say Diverge. Like you, the odd axle arrangement of the smartweld is one of the reasons I’m prevaricating.

claudie

I have a roubaix with crud race guards which is used for 12 mile each way commute and longer weekend rides and I love it. The guards are two years old and I’ve had no issues with them. With the guards on, I can fit a 25mm tyre on the back but only a 23 on the front. I had an aluminium Orbea and a genesis equilibrium before but much prefer the roubaix

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Carbon Comp is indeed rather lovely. Still think SBC missed a trick by not bringing it in to the UK.

Still very much in love with mine, though! 8)

iamsporticus
    Free Member

The new roubaix has clever concealed fittings to fit their own mudguards

Fwiw, if you want to do Road buy the roubaix, if you want a trendy crosser get the diverge

wiggles
    Free Member

I think it will be a diverge because I would like to be able to do a bit more than just road. Sort of has to be these models as I have decided I need hydro disks or a roubaix sport or similar would be fine… Other option of course is to wait a few months and see if there is a cheaper carbon diverge in the 2016 range…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oooh! I’m “trendy”!

Had to happen eventually! 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Roubaix or Diverge’ is closed to new replies.