Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Rotor bolts torque?
  • Premier Icon ratherbeintobago

Putting on a new front rotor (180mm on a Hope Pro2Evo) as the old one has a pronounced step on the edge of the brake track.

Anyone know what torque for the bolts? Was going 4Nm with blue thread lock.

Ta!

Premier Icon bsims
    Free Member

I thought 6nm but would need to check.

Edit : nope, 2-4nm you are correct.

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago

Thanks, Google-fu is failing me.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve always done mine to 5Nm. However, last week I did actually die in a ball of flames.

Premier Icon bsims
    Free Member

That’s good to know Onzadog, I won’t bother to check mine are 4nm not 6nm if that’s the worst that will happen.😀

Premier Icon lucky7500

I’m pretty sure the torque is usually specified on the rotor, not that I have ever personally used it.

Premier Icon Tim
    Free Member

1 small ‘nngh’ with a short allen key

Premier Icon coatesy
    Free Member

The only time I ever used a torque wrench on rotor bolts was with a set of Hope ti ones (that another mechanic had snapped a head off previously, and was avoiding a repeat scenario) with the blue locking compound. A pointless task,it turned out, as the compound bound up the threads enough to trip the wrench before the bolt heads had even contacted the rotor.

Premier Icon dovebiker
    Free Member

IME 6Nm is no more than a twist of a t-handled driver with your fingers – so just a bit less than that – probably not even the ‘n’ in ‘nngh’ and definitely no ‘r’ 😂 TBH I’ve got 2 torque wrenches but never really bother. I’ve never stripped/snapped any nor had any come loose in 20 years. FWIW 7Nm is the max recommended torque for an M5 fastener – it’s got nothing to do with the disc

Premier Icon davros

Full blast on the drill

Premier Icon jkomo

Don’t forget to Thread lock, tighten until your knuckles click.

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago

@lucky7500 Not on Hope rotors it isn’t.

Premier Icon oikeith

Full blast on the drill

Same but impact driver then an extra crank with the torq key

Premier Icon Tim
    Free Member

Dovebiker. Pretty much. Thinking about it, I actually use a torx screwdriver on my rotor bolts anyway!

Premier Icon scuttler

I can get em off with a hnnn on a torx screwdriver (less likely to wreck the head as some of the hnnn goes into pressing down) so that’s the same force I apply in reverse. Not sure how much torque my skinny wrists could put through a screwdriver.

Premier Icon endomick
    Free Member

I’ve always used a 5nm torqkey, never used threadlock on mine and never had one come loose, been using hope titanium ones for years without issues, I do regular bolt checks and they’re always tight.

Premier Icon nickc

Never used a torque wrench on rotor bolts, the thread compound on the bolts is more than enough to overcome the 2-4Nm that is recommended.

Premier Icon lardman
    Free Member

Never used either thread compound, or torque wrench. And never stripped/lost a bolt.

30 years later, no ball of flames.

Premier Icon argee

oikeith
    Full blast on the drill

Same but impact driver then an extra crank with the torq key

That’s my method too, works a treat.

Premier Icon boriselbrus

Turn till they start to strip then back off half a turn?

Premier Icon doomanic

My Hope rotors say 5nm.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.