Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Rothiemurchus routes.
  • jam-bo

staying at rothiemurchus campsite for a few days over the easter weekend. only got room for one bike on the van, gravel or mtb. not looking for epics but good 1/2/3max hour local loops without having to drive.

any suggestions.

kennyp
    Free Member

Loads of great gravel rides right out the back of that campsite.

matt_outandabout

Loads of great gravel rides right out the back of that campsite.

This – there is amazing mtb as well, but if it is a quick spin from the site, then a gravel / do it all / fast 29er will be ace.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

I usually point folk up Glen Eanaich. Take the high road in and low road (track really) out.

You are on the Old Logging Way, so follow that up to Badaguish, past the old village at Beglan, down to the visitor centre then out to An Lochan Uaine. Come back via the Hayfield and the back of Loch Morlich, Picadilly and Lochan Deo.

Old Logging Way to Aviemore, the Burma Road, Carrbrisudege, An Sluggan and back to Rothiemurchus.

Old Logging Way to Aviemore, Speyside Way, Kinrara, Kincraig, lower Glen Feshie loop, Feshie Moor, Inshriach and Loch an Eilean.

There’s more…

These are all gravel routes, some short bits might be “better” on a fast 29er.

jam-bo

the glen eanaich one looks pretty straightforward, the others not so clear on a 25k OS map.

got any strava links or gpx’s?

scotroutes

Yeah, I’ll do some later. Do you Komoot?

jam-bo

I think I have an account but I’ve not looked at it for a long time.

filks

Did the glen eanaich route as suggested by Scotroutes a couple of summers ago on a rented fat bike. Was a great morning ride. Recommended!

jam-bo

That works. Thanks.

somafunk

Glen Eanaich below,

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”></span>

scotroutes

Should we mention the Corner of Certain Death?

somafunk

Nah, it’s exciting when you meet it for the first time, it’s quite astounding just how fast you can scrub off speed when necessary 🙂

Is the run up to it all cleared now?, 6 years since I was last up.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Nice picture that somafunk. I think I’d rather be cycling up to the top of the cliff on the right of your photo. Much more fun. Bit more of a challenge though.

StirlingCrispin

Yeah – Glen Eanich is OK.

These photos are from just a few weeks ago. Not a sound at the loch side.

Survived the Corner of Certain Death but on another descent was so busy looking at the views I clipped the heather at the side and flipped over the bars. Happy days.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

scotroutes

@aberdeenlune.

Here you mean?

@somafunk
    the wee landslip is still there and the issue is still the muddy bit just before it. It’s only a couple of metres. I’d plans to see if I could sort it a bit but it was so wet last time I was up. I might make another effort after a dry summer 😂

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

That’s a tremendous photo @scotroutes. Yes exactly where I was thinking. I’m going to head up there on a nice day in the summer. Hopefully the climb up from Achlean won’t be too bad and I may be able to hop over the drainage channels.

somafunk

Yeah that’s a cracking route but not something I’d challenge on a bike at this time of year, Tried it one time at the end of may leaving aviemore in glorious sunshine and had to take shelter near the top in an emergency bivvy bag from a horrendous hail shower, if I hadn’t had the foresight to take my winter kit I’d have been in trouble due to the cold.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Whilst we’re talking Einich, has anyone done the HaB up east of the Loch onto the plateau recently, and thence up to Sgurr Gaoith or Carn Ban Mor?

I’ve taken a bike up there before, but it was over 25 years ago so I’m not up to date.
    Was thinking of it as an alternative to the Gooey there and back route

somafunk

Whilst we’re talking Einich, has anyone done the HaB up east of the Loch onto the plateau recently, and thence up to Sgurr Gaoith or Carn Ban Mor?

I attempted it back in 2014, gave up as it was not fun in anyway imaginable

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Which bit?

Now I’ve lost my fitness and ability to cycle up hills I’m very much in the ” uphills should either be very shallow so I can cycle up them or very steep so I can at least get the height gain done quickly with the bike on my back” camp.

I have afeeling that the standard Sgurr Gaoith ascent would fall in the ” each section is rideable in isolation, but after 150m of it I’m knackered and just end up pushing the rest slowly”

The alternative of a lovely bimble up Glen Einich, followed by the short and horrible HaB quite appeals.
    The problem is that I think the initial plateau bit is a trackless swampy mess too.

scotroutes

I walked up the (not clearly visible) Ross’s path last year doing a path survey for Scotways. That runs from the path on the West side of the loch but does put you on the SG/CBM ridge. It was tough enough without a bike. Also, my hands were stained red by the time I made it to the top. I have never, ever seen so much blaeberry. It was solid across the hillside. I wasn’t hungry at the top either 😂

jam-bo

Van packed, bringing the smuggler rather than the gravel bike. Bit more versatile.

scotroutes

In that case you’ll probably want to do the bottom bit of the Lairig Ghru. Just head up to Rothiemurchus Lodge, take the path heading SW then head NW at the junction.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.