Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rossendale locals – route help required!
  • RustySpanner

Riiiiight.

Headed off today to try and find the route from Huncoat/Hapton over to Dunnockshaw/Clowbridge reservoir.

Started off well – found the quarry access road (marked as ‘King’s Highway’ on the map) at the west end of the A679 Burnley Road where it meets the A56.

Climbed up and headed SE.
    No signage anywhere.

Climbed up past the quarry, past the farm on the left and carried on up.
    Only one track headed east over toward Dunnockshaw but the gate was chained – assume this was the one we should have taken?

We ended up following the King’s Highway down to Mitchell’s House Reservoirs and Accy/Haslingdon.

Bit rough this afternoon – couple of very close lightning strikes and we got hailed on climbing up past the quarry!

No OS map with us, just some crappy flyer called ‘Cycling in Hyndburn’ 😀
    Shows the route over Great Hameldon, but buggered if we could find it.

Any ideas?

philfive
    Free Member

Yep should of gone oven the gate mate by word of warning, the route is boggy in the rain.

RustySpanner

Thanks Phil, thought so!

Boggy? 😀

It was wetter than Ken Clarke’s cocktail cabinet this afternoon. 🙂
    If I’d have looked up and kept my gob open I’d have drowned.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    philfive
    Free Member

Hahaha good to see some more accrington riders.

stumpyjon

It’s on PMBA’s list of routes to improve and sign post. LCC have already made improvements near the Halo Panoptican in Haslingden, are nearly finished work on Deerplay Moor and will be fixing the scree slope behind the Ski slope next. Proper signage and maps is being worked on. More info on http://www.pmba.org.uk (page 2 or 3 can’t remember exactly). You need to be a member to access the maps at the moment though (which costs all of a fiver).

philfive
    Free Member

Stumpy, are they looking into the link from the kings highway over to the radar station? this could really do with some all weather treatment.

I rode the repairs below the halo and it hasnt been that good in a few years but wonder if it will last a heavy winter due to drainage?

philfive
    Free Member

Also any plans for a link path from the new turbines over to Grian Road?

had a look over by turbine 12 and you arent that far from the footpath but it’s a bog.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rossendale locals – route help required!’ is closed to new replies.