• This topic has 99 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by robw1.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Rose halting sales of bikes to UK
  • 13thfloormonk

Check them out on trust pilot – they seem to have some issues. The bike I have is my second from them. It’s been a shocking experience. Ordered a custom build in July. Date pushed back with no notification. Arrived September. Wrong parts fitted – cranks, wheels, bar tape, casette. Basically everything I had changed from stock.

I’m a bit of a Rose fan-boi but in truth I had a similar initial experience, they sent me an order confirmation with a few of the wrong bits listed, again, stuff they obviously didn’t have in stock. A bit of back and forth sorted it (I pointed out that they could swap the 53-39 chainrings with the 50-34 chainrings they were selling on their web store) and to their credit they did it for me, and the bike arrived perfect.

B******s. Both my road and cross bikes are Rose and I would definitely buy from them again. Seems a trip would be in order.

If I was in a financial position to order one I could get it delivered to our hotel in France on Day 0 of our Pyrenees trip next year… Probably the definition of ‘asking for trouble’ to start your trip on a brand new bike that’s been delivered to your hotel the night before 😀

honourablegeorge

benpinnick

As someone who sells bikes outside the UK I would say this is all about winding down pre Brexit. As mentioned you could limit to SRAM only and then the customer says they’ll do the swap and you could probably get away with it. What you can’t avoid is the massive PITA that sending bikes from the EU to the UK will be after Brexit if it’s anything like sending say to the USA. Where 2020 has been a bit of a golden year for the UK bike industry I suspect 2021 will be somewhat the opposite as supply remains disrupted and then compounded by Brexit disruption.

I’d imagine the law around liability and the like is another massive grey area for companies also – they don’t know what laws and standards will apply in the UK. (presumably nobody does)

honourablegeorge

scotroutes

The reason for the UK setup has already been explained in this thread.

It’s because all those other countries drive on the wrong side of the road that they have their brakes set up wrong.

jameso

Ordered a custom build in July. Date pushed back with no notification. Arrived September. Wrong parts fitted – cranks, wheels, bar tape, casette.

Well it’s either swap out parts or not have a bike for months at the moment. They should communicate this but realistically I’d let them off to some extent – supply chains are in unprecedented levels of chaos right now and have been that way all summer. If you got the bike you’re better off than most.

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

As a company expecting to lose 50% of retail turnover when we crash out of Europe in a chaotic shambles, here’s one of the basic reasons.

Shipping Dpd to Germany £7 for anything upto 30kg. Ten metres across the boarder in Switzerland £50. The difference all the customs fees and docs, then chuck in all the fees for the customer end too and strangely customers don’t bother ordering. Also any customer service in future costs that on every shipment too so especially on big stuff It entirely nukes the margin.

As of leaving properly that’s the whole of Europe.

Then Throw in we want our own rules for everything. Which means legally it’s double the ballache to comply for what to the Europeans is a poxy little slice of their market.

Hence why we are focusing on manufacturing currently.

Neil SuperstarComponents

martinhutch

tHiS iSN’t tHe BrExit I vOtED fOR!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

In before the “yeah, but a deal hasn’t been done yet” guys.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Best of luck Neil.

benpinnick

They can’t. New bikes must have the brakes the UK way round.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/regulations/safety-regulations

Unless assembled by the customer. No reason the brakes can’t be part of tha assembly process.

pdw
    Free Member

Can anyone explain what “dumping protection reasons” might mean?

hols2
    Free Member

Unless the next step is BMW and the likes stopping RHD cars for the same reasons!!!!

Japan uses RHD (and moto-style brakes on bikes). It’s a major market for Euro car makers so they’ll make RHD just for that.

hols2
    Free Member

Unless assembled by the customer. No reason the brakes can’t be part of tha assembly process.

Shimano brake levers must be split from the hoses and bled afterwards. If they’re supplied to the UK, the suppliers will need to do that so they are ready to fit.

tetrode
    Free Member

I bought my road bike in the UK and my MTB is YT so came set up with euro brakes. I’m very used to rear braking with my right hand when MTBing now but I have rented a couple of bikes and found it very easy to just remember to squeeze the other lever instead. I guess if you’ve been doing it one way for decades it’s harder but for me it comes naturally.

That is a poor excuse by Rose though, it’s definitely brexit related instead and they just don’t want to say it.

13thfloormonk

Can anyone explain what “dumping protection reasons” might mean?

Am guessing, but do groupset manufacturers not try to prevent companies masquerading as a ‘bike manufacturer’ but then selling off cheap groupsets e.g. ‘dumping’ cheap groupsets on the market and lowering the perceived value?

As such, if Rose were only selling frames and forks to the UK, then within the (post-EU) UK market they might not be seen as a manufacturer, and therefore might be seen as breaching Shimano/SRAM’s ‘dumping protection’ measures if they are only selling parts and not complete bikes?

5plusn8
    Free Member

Wierd, I was told that the UK was th largest MTB market in eurpoe by a long way. i dunno if that is still true but it seems daft to dump a whole market.

jameso

Wierd, I was told that the UK was th largest MTB market in eurpoe by a long way. i dunno if that is still true but it seems daft to dump a whole market.

Not by a long way

torsoinalake
    Free Member

it seems daft to dump a whole market

What if you don’t have a big presence in that market and selling into it costs more money than you are willing to spend? Not making a profit is the daftest thing a company can do.

Hold that thought, and add road bikes.

pdw
    Free Member

As such, if Rose were only selling frames and forks to the UK, then within the (post-EU) UK market they might not be seen as a manufacturer, and therefore might be seen as breaching Shimano/SRAM’s ‘dumping protection’ measures if they are only selling parts and not complete bikes?

That seems plausible, although I’m a bit surprised that it’s an issue if they’re only selling retail components. Pretty sure that all Shimano stuff I’ve had from Rose has been in retail packaging.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Hold that thought, and add road bikes

Or anything internally routed

BillOddie

If I’m Rose this is an easy decision to make…

1) Faff and added complexity with internal routing of swapping as they seem to be batch building standard builds now rather than doing the custom thing. Perfectly reasonable considering the level of demand for bikes over the last 6 months.

2)  Leadtime on some bikes that they can take orders on is probably into 2021 now, so Brexit complicates fulfilling them, there could well be duties etc that will have to be paid buy the consumer, which may not have been stated at time of ordering.

3) Health and Safety – what rules will apply?  Are they opening themselves up to a nightmare?

benpinnick

Aye road bikes is an issue on the brakes. The thing to remember for all things post brexit is that its made us a soft target for cuts. Rose sell good value bikes. They’re not rinsing them out at some massive margin. So as soon as things get a bit difficult they’re going to look for the easy ways to improve their business and streamline operations.

We were never likely to get a trade deal which kept the borders open between us and the EU, and now the Gov. seems determined to squash out the last flicker of hope that could happen we sit here, 3 1/2 months to go with no idea how or indeed how well trade will function between us and EU countries. So yeah, if I was Rose or in fact any EU based bike company right now I’d not be selling anything I couldn’t deliver before the end of the year, and I would be questioning the value of continuing after when there’s massive lead times on key components now, which will likely create shortages in 2021. Just like Rose sometime in the not too distant future we’ll have to shutdown our EU sales for at least some period of transition to allow for the changes in VAT and duty that will happen. Straddling the change would be a royal PITA so we’ll probably stop and then restart once the outlook is clear. Not what I want to do but probably the best option I have.

honourablegeorge

tetrode

That is a poor excuse by Rose though, it’s definitely brexit related instead and they just don’t want to say it.

Why would they not want to say it? It’s not like pointing out that Brexit is a disaster is somehow taboo.

benpinnick

That seems plausible, although I’m a bit surprised that it’s an issue if they’re only selling retail components. Pretty sure that all Shimano stuff I’ve had from Rose has been in retail packaging.

Supply agreements generally prohibit selling outside the EU. Thats a relatively small window now where we’re still in the EU zone, so not really a big deal to shut it down a couple of months before you’d probably need to.

soobalias
    Free Member

weird, im fine with the brakes either way on the bars or the steering wheel on either side of the car

but running all the hoses through the frame is pure mental (TTing roadies excepted)

Flaperon

no problems after a few minutes of settling in

Hard to remove years of instinct in just a few hours. No issues at all on a 4 day riding holiday until I entered a corner with a little too much speed and couldn’t understand why the bike wasn’t slowing down. Fortunately I’d grabbed a handful of the back brake and not the front, and I made it around the bend – just – but there was more than one kind of skid mark on the road.

Poopscoop

I’m pretty sure of you believe in Brexit hard enough Rose will absolutely continue to send you bikes no problem. They need us more than we need them. Never forget that.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Not by a long way

Well not MTB but joint 2nd largest bicycle market in europe. https://issuu.com/conebi/docs/20170713_european_bicyle_industry_a

Germany 21%, France 16%, Uk 16%

scotroutes

There’s no reason road bikes should be an issue. Use the Shimano J-Kit hoses and all the swapping is done easily enough. In fact, I wish Shimano would just ship all brakes on all bikes with those hoses.

eyestwice
    Free Member

Aside from that one post, I can’t find anything whatsoever to back this up. The bit about ‘dumping protection’ sound ridiculous to me, yet everyone appears fixated on the whole brake issue.

Good ol’ social media.

P-Jay
    Free Member

it seems daft to dump a whole market

We’re probably just not worth the effort. Obvs Ben from Bird and Neil from Superstar have a far better grasp of things than me, but this will be one small tale of woe of many coming.

They’re very politely avoiding the Brexit word, and it seems to be more than one thing, but can you blame them? – it’s mid-Sept 2020, the transition period ends in 107 days, not a long time in business, how long until their expected delivery dates start bumping into a period when they don’t even know if they can export bikes to the UK?

Add in their new production methods, it’s a shame, but to further increase profits / cut costs they seem to be moving away from paying “expensive” Bike Mechanics to build bikes all day, to using ‘Production Operatives’ to do the same simple task over and over. They seemingly can’t factor in two brake leaver configurations into that, they can’t ship the brakes the wrong way because of UK laws and the chance of being sued if someone hurts themselves and they can’t circumvent that buy selling them in bits for home assembly because of the Dumping protection rules.

I’m sure if they had the sales in the UK that YT get, they’d make more of an accommodation for us, but they don’t.

This won’t make much of a ripple in the UK, a few thousand people will hear, maybe a few hundred care, but more things like this will start to be heard – obvs the Gov will blame them, blame the EU, blame the **** weather who knows.

Sadly (perhaps) we don’t, at this point, seem to be befitting from it either. Small, insignificant almost thing today – Nissan have revealed a new Z-car concept, some car nutters have been waiting months for it – the kicker, they’re not bringing it to Europe, EU emissions regs just don’t allow for a low-volume 400bhp V6 twin-turbo Coupe. “Ah, but we’re leaving the EU this year” say the petrol heads – but even though it’s a Japanese car (which is a RHD market) they’ve said no to the UK, because we’re just not worth the effort of making UK legal, even if our emissions regulations (whatever they may be next year) allow it.

We’re going to have to get used to being the small country we are, because even though we’re 7th in the world by GDP, we’re all alone and everyone else is in some kind of union with other nations.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Well not MTB but joint 2nd largest bicycle market in europe. https://issuu.com/conebi/docs/20170713_european_bicyle_industry_a

Germany 21%, France 16%, Uk 16%

That’s the problem – I don’t know how far you have to go down that list until you get to a non-EU European country, but in Business terms, it’s not Germany 21% France 16% UK 16% etc – it’s EU 84% – UK 16%.

dogbone

It seems like some quite large markets drive / ride of the left. Smells more like Brexit.
    Australia
    Bermuda
    Channel Islands
    Cyprus<
    Hong Kong
    India<
    Indonesia
    Ireland
    Isle of Man<
    Jamaica<
    Japan
    Kenya
    Macau
    Malaysia
    Malta
    Nepal
    New Zealand
    Pakistan
    Singapore
    South Africa
    Thailand
    United Kingdom

pdw
    Free Member

Hard to remove years of instinct in just a few hours.

Agreed. It’s fine until instinct needs to take over. For me it was when the front wheel started to slide approaching a corner, so I instinctively applied a little less front and a little more back. Didn’t seem to fix the problem, so I instinctively did it some more. Fortunately it was a soft landing.

Same reason that accidentally putting a car in reverse rather than 1st can end so badly. Your brain doesn’t understand the problem, so presses the pedal that’s supposed to make you go forwards harder. I know someone who wrote off two cars and put holes in both ends of their garage this way.

hooli

Meh, not a great loss is it? Don’t think I have ever seen a Rose bike out on the trails and it isn’t somewhere I would look when shopping for a new bike.

5plusn8
    Free Member

No me niether, I’m just navel gazing.
    16% of my market disspearing would bother me. As others noted brexit might be the real reason though I don’t know why they wouldn’t say it.
    Obvs they have their reasons so it must work for them.

kelvin

It’s not like pointing out that Brexit is a disaster is somehow taboo.

Er… when the dust settles, and they can see what the situation is, it could well be worth Rose changing their production to supply the UK market. Like it or not, to even point out that Brexit might be involved even in short term business plans is heard as “down with Britain” by some many potential customers in the UK. Selling now, for supply to UK customers early next year, could well be seen as a complicated and unbound distraction if you’re struggling to keep up with demand in your “home market”, where costs and delivery logistics are a known entity… pointing that out to people in the UK you may be trying to sell to again next year, some of whom take great personal offence whenever the complications of Brexit are brought up (dunno why, ask them), might not be good marketing sense.

13thfloormonk

Meh, not a great loss is it? Don’t think I have ever seen a Rose bike out on the trails and it isn’t somewhere I would look when shopping for a new bike.

They offered something different, it’s the reason I would have gone back.

By the sounds of it, even if they did keep shipping to Britain, you would no longer be able to custom specify component sizes/gear ranges/tyre choice/saddle choice etc. which was the main USP for me (that, plus still offering reasonable value, lightweight, endurance/sportive geometry rim brake models, a rapidly shrinking niche it seems).

P-Jay
    Free Member

Not to me personally, they’ve never really appeared on my ‘radar’, but it’s more important an indication of things to come.

I mean, what’s left for Businesses / Economists / Remainers left to hope for? The Lords kick out Boris’ latest dickhead move, we get a new 11th hour deal? Does anyone even know what the new deal is?

From our businesses point of view, we support thousands of people who’s data is held by Microsoft, we don’t really know if they’ll be able to access it on 01/01/21 or indeed they’ll continue to be able to trade with Microsoft – most users use 365, there’s no UK-US trade deal, and without a UK-EU trade deal we’ll be a bit stuck. MS do have an office in the UK, but there’s currently no Microsoft UK Plc to buy licenses from.

simondbarnes

Not making a profit is the daftest thing a company can do

Try telling that to wiggle 😉

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Having owned the strangely named Uncle Jimbo for a few years now, I find it quite sad that it’s come to this. I bought mine following a demo with Fin and bloody loved it versus a few of the more obvious names. That said, they havent really come through with a lot of MTB product for a while and the fact the chance to fully spec your bike – which was a huge draw for me – has gone, makes it slightly less appealing and doesnt help their market share here behind Canyon, YT etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Rose halting sales of bikes to UK’ is closed to new replies.