Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rose Coloured Starling :) on my patch.
  • redthunder
    Free Member

🙂

Sadly not my pic 🙁
    http://www.severnsidebirds.co.uk/page4.html

CountZero

It’s the cold weather, the birds are wearing fleece gilets… 😉

Gorehound
    Free Member

Someone is a long way from home.

redthunder
    Free Member

lol.

Apparently it’s really scarce in these parts.

redthunder
    Free Member

The recent storms probably helped in it’s appearence.

Check out the others we had:

One of my favs.. Strom Petrel

More here:

Further down from the starling.
    http://www.severnsidebirds.co.uk/page4.html

CountZero

Pretty bird, although ours really show their true colours in sunlight. Just had a shufti on wiki:

The breeding range of this bird is from easternmost Europe across temperate southern Asia.[1] It is a strong migrant, and winters in India and tropical Asia. In India in winter, it often appears to outnumber the local starlings and mynas. The Rosy Starling is a bird of steppe and open agricultural land. In years when grasshoppers and other insects are abundant, it will erupt well beyond its core range, with significant numbers reaching France and the United Kingdom.

Interesting, I guess, as you say red, they’re scarce this far west, but turn up more frequently on the east coast. Most of our winter starlings are Russian and Scandinavian birds, so maybe it turned left instead of right after wintering in India. 😀

sharki
    Free Member

nice.

redthunder
    Free Member

Technically it’s my second twitch. Even though I had to walk 100 yards to look for it.

The first twitch was Waxwings in Avonmouth but I rode there on the bike specifically, so a twitch.

Never saw the Pacific Diver either 🙁

nathaneddy
    Free Member

birding action. nice.

JulianA
    Free Member

Always wanted to see a Rose-coloured Starling but never have. Waxwing ditto! Lucky you…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rose Coloured Starling :) on my patch.’ is closed to new replies.