rootsandrain photos, who buys them?

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • rootsandrain photos, who buys them?
  • downhiller

@downhiller if you’re taking suggestions it would be great to be able to select a limit amount of riders in a race to compare their times directly.

i.e. click on all my mates in a race and just be able to see their times rather than having to scroll up and down to compare

Love Roots and Rain btw, seriously damages my work productivity on the Monday morning after a race

Funny you should say that… I started putting this in ages ago; as it stands it works for ME… after a race I often click on my secret button that doesn’t get shown to anyone else and it gives me a table of the dozen or so people at the race I care about showing how we all fared… Definitely something I need to polish more and roll out!!

Watch this space, as they say.

Premier Icon moonsaballoon
    Subscriber

I love roots and rain , when I started racing enduros I would buy all the photos of myself but in the last few years there are way more photos from each event so I’m a bit choosier now .

please keep all the old events up , nowhere else has that info and it would be a shame for it to disappear

I really like Roots and Rain, I miss my days of deeply mediocre racing. I bought quite a few pics – the only time I’m ever caught looking fast!

Premier Icon superstu
    Subscriber

I’m about to buy some from an enduro race from earlier this year. Seb as you’re reading this, I have the same name as a previous rider so my record seems to have merged with someone else (not me just fortunate enough to have the same great name 😆) – anyway to split this?

kiksy

I fairly regularly buy shots on there.

@downhiller interesting to hear you’re working on improving some of the quality. I’ve seen quite a few totally out of focus/poorly framed burst shots but doesn’t bother me too much scrolling through.

What’s a shame is it does see that a few photographers do seem to focus on quantity rather than quality. Too often the positions the photographers setup at make it look like a casual ride in the woods with no features or dynamism in the riders, then just click away for hours.

At one race I went to (sadly not on R&R) a photographer turned up who was insanely good. He maybe only took a couple of hundred photos but I ended up buying way more than normal, including one that was just a shot of my muddy cranks, a portrait shot (which is now on my business card) as well as riding shots.

Event photography is hard (I’ve done some mtb races so know it’s tough), but I guess my point is – people will buy any old photos the first few races they do, but to keep people coming back and purchasing over and over for years you really do need the quality to be there.

kiksy

Also (and I can think of many reasons why you wouldn’t want to do this) what about tiered photographer levels? So maybe Pro, Amateur and Spectator.

Make it easy to filter by tier, and Pro tier can only be achieved by manual approval.

Spectator tier would be to encourage the random people taking photos/videos on their phones to upload them somewhere people can see them rather than maybe putting them on the Facebook event page, but more often than not just never seeing the light of day.

tomlevell

@downhiller I’d give you a thumbs up but can’t get the site to work this morning :0(

downhiller

I’m about to buy some from an enduro race from earlier this year. Seb as you’re reading this, I have the same name as a previous rider so my record seems to have merged with someone else (not me just fortunate enough to have the same great name 😆) – anyway to split this?

Very easily Stu, just drop me an email or facebook message and I’ll get it sorted for you. Happens all the time, as you can imagine.

Premier Icon nwmlarge
    Subscriber

I buy them when I do an event, which is rare.

A fantastic resource keep up the good work @downhiller

downhiller

Also (and I can think of many reasons why you wouldn’t want to do this) what about tiered photographer levels? So maybe Pro, Amateur and Spectator.

Make it easy to filter by tier, and Pro tier can only be achieved by manual approval.

Spectator tier would be to encourage the random people taking photos/videos on their phones to upload them somewhere people can see them rather than maybe putting them on the Facebook event page, but more often than not just never seeing the light of day.

I hadn’t thought of calling the bottom tier spectator – that’s much better than “Awful” which is what I was going to go with 😉 Other than that, a tiered system is already planned… Just have to be careful not to offend/alienate people who believe they should be in a higher tier. So I think it mainly needs to be algorithmic, rather than down to MY judgement…

downhiller

@downhiller I’d give you a thumbs up but can’t get the site to work this morning :0(

My fault, I’ve just run kernel updates and reboots on the 3 servers it runs on. Back up now, phew. Always a sweaty moment!

Premier Icon peekay
    Subscriber

@downhiller I absolutely love the site. It is so interesting to compare various metrics after a race and track positioning in the pack change over a number of years. The way that you have integrated photos is also fantastic.
    As somebody above has already said, the Monday after an event is not always very productive at work.

Thank you for setting up, running and always improving the site. It just works.

Premier Icon seadog101
    Subscriber

I did recently, but then the cash was going to the charity that the event was supporting.

The photos were great, but not because I was looking good!

orena45

I usually buy at least one from each race. They can be pretty expensive individually at times but I like the bulk buy option that was recently introduced… though they can be full of burst shot images.

I like to support the photographers seeing as they spend all day or all weekend standing about, sometimes in terrible conditions too!

One suggestion, and I don’t know if it’s possible as I’m presuming the photographers set their prices, but it would be good if after a period of time, say 1 year or 2, the prices of older photos went down. I doubt anyone wants to pay £7 for a 3 year old photo, but if it dropped to something like £2, some people might buy it for old times sake.

i’ve bought a few, always good to see a picture in action, was just showing my mates a boltby bash picture from last year, when i skirted around a jump, hopefuly this years shot will be a bit more stylish .

the only improvement i think would be to enable those unknown pictures (hidden numberplates) to be viewed in order (before and after pics) as the majority of enduro riders, ride with friends and so if you knew who was riding before or after you, it is more likely to get tagged by a friend, as they’l see their pics and click forward to a friends..

munrobiker

Is there a way to tag yourself in photos on Roots and Rain? There’s loads of me from my last two events that are tagged by number only and it’s a pain to try and find them again.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I used to, then I did loads more racing and there were so many, most of which were really average (not necessarily as photos, but they were just me on a fireroad) that I stopped, and only bought ones which were either really good photos or had a special memory.

As an aside, my Roots & Rain profile isn’t exclusively mine! The results and the photos are half me and half someone else! @downhiller I don’t mind, I know which are me, and I guess it’s purely a product of having a common name, but thought I’d mention! I’m the (former) XC racer, not the enduro/DH one! That makes me look awful too, I wish you had older results in there when I wasn’t quite so bad!

Me. Not me.

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

As a few others, yep I would but tend to race rarely these days due to life getting in the way. Also as a few others, no-one else takes pics of me riding so there’s an added bonus. Really though a lot depends on the photographer’s timing, placement, skill and vision. I’m realistic and no-one is going to make me look like a riding god, but it would be nice not to look like it should be in the crashreel, and some togs are very much better than others.

The best understand they are doing environmental portraiture and generally produce stunning work, and then there’s the chancers blasting away on auto fire hoping to make a few pennies who would be knackered if the camera wasn’t doing all the work for them.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Clearly I’m not a photographer – but I find that with Kevin Sheldrake (as in the picture of “me” I linked to) – there are about 15 photos of me on R&R, all by him, and they’re virtually all in different states of blurry/out of focus. I get they’re low-res versions, and I’m sure the higher resolution ones are crisper, but I’m not sure I’d have ever bought most of his pictures!

downhiller

Clearly I’m not a photographer – but I find that with Kevin Sheldrake (as in the picture of “me” I linked to) – there are about 15 photos of me on R&R, all by him, and they’re virtually all in different states of blurry/out of focus. I get they’re low-res versions, and I’m sure the higher resolution ones are crisper, but I’m not sure I’d have ever bought most of his pictures!

Kevin certainly likes his panning shots, and I guess they’re not to everyone’s taste. They’re generally quite good though, but who knows, maybe you’ve got a bad bunch. Feel free to email or facebook me and I can look at them for you and advise what the full-res files are like, if you want.

stanfree

Ive bought two both of my son , Handy for sending to my mum and dad etc.

Funny to search back on Roots and rain and seeing the legendary and much missed Stevie Smith hammering down Innerleithen.

downhiller

As an aside, my Roots & Rain profile isn’t exclusively mine! The results and the photos are half me and half someone else! @downhiller I don’t mind, I know which are me, and I guess it’s purely a product of having a common name, but thought I’d mention! I’m the (former) XC racer, not the enduro/DH one! That makes me look awful too, I wish you had older results in there when I wasn’t quite so bad!

Me. Not me.

Fixed!

Premier Icon jamesoz
    Subscriber

Great site, I buy shots. One photographer kindly photoshopped my arse out where my shorts had dropped a smidge. Now if they can sort the beer belly in the photos it’d be perfect.

downhiller

One suggestion, and I don’t know if it’s possible as I’m presuming the photographers set their prices, but it would be good if after a period of time, say 1 year or 2, the prices of older photos went down. I doubt anyone wants to pay £7 for a 3 year old photo, but if it dropped to something like £2, some people might buy it for old times sake.

Not a bad idea at all, I’ll add it to the list…!

downhiller

the only improvement i think would be to enable those unknown pictures (hidden numberplates) to be viewed in order (before and after pics) as the majority of enduro riders, ride with friends and so if you knew who was riding before or after you, it is more likely to get tagged by a friend, as they’l see their pics and click forward to a friends..

On the event thumbnail pages there’s an “order by” setting at the top, where you can select “Taken (oldest first)” to put them all into chronological order.

That doesn’t fully give you what you want though, as you’d have to scan through all of the many thousands of thumbnails to find the right point to look backwards/forwards from.

What it needs instead is “previous photo” and “next photo” buttons on the photo page itself. This is something I used to have, I’m not really sure why I don’t any more. There was a reason… performance I think, but I can’t think why it’d have been a problem. I’ll try to reinstate today!

downhiller

Is there a way to tag yourself in photos on Roots and Rain? There’s loads of me from my last two events that are tagged by number only and it’s a pain to try and find them again.

I assume you weren’t listed on the results for some reason? I do wish organisers would put EVERYONE who signs on on the results, even if they don’t start the actual race.

I’m afraid only the person who tagged originally, or myself, or the photographer, can change tags. Why? Well there’s no login system for regular users is there, the site has never asked you for a username or password… and with no login system there’s no way to keep track of who’s doing what. And with no way to keep track of who’s doing what, there’s nothing to stop a malicious user from changing 100,000 tags overnight!

So, for the time being, you’ll have to just drop me an email with the name of the event, your name and your numberboard, and I’ll sort it out! seb@rootsandrain.com

orena45

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>
    <div class=””></div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Not a bad idea at all, I’ll add it to the list…!

</div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Awesome, cheers!

</div>

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.