• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • "ROOTS"….
  • alpin
    Free Member

quite an impressive, emotional journey….

if you haven’t seen it, and you’ve nothing planned for the weekend and it is reaining outside, i’d suggest to watch it.

sbob
    Free Member
    RobHilton
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/F_6IjeprfEs[/video]

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@rob Hilton. Good call.

hatter

Yes! That’s what I wanted to listen to today! (Digs out Chaos AD and Arise)

DezB
    Free Member

I watched it alpin – on Beeb4 over the past few weeks. A few cheesy moments, but really good. I never saw the 70s original (parents wouldn’t let us watch it), so can’t compare it. Thought they should’ve lingered longer on the photos of real slaves at the end.

Northwind

Came into thread to post Sepultoora from Brazeeeel. Too late.

prawny

Me too,

However I have the original roots series on VHS if anyone wants it. It’s been under the dining table since VHS was still a thing.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Only caught the last episode

Remember the original – very powerful in my childhood

Seemed ok – but unlike the original, the core theme has been covered much more now. So has less opportunity to score a big hit.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Only saw the original series, but read the book more recently. The Africans were far more advanced as a civilisation than the tvportayed thme

jambalaya
    Free Member

The original left a very big impression on me. I can’t imagine it could be improved on.

senorj

Fancy that now taboo is over.I saw snippets of the original , I remember being horrified,quickly moved off to bed& having nightmares .
    Holocaust had a similar effect.

binners

Finished watching this last night. Its pretty powerful, gritty stuff. Some of the story is absolutely horrific, and shows the true brutality of slavery, but…

….the end? WTF? Dear god! Why do the Americans do it? In the last episode, it all just dissolves into the most shmaltzy, cheesy, soft-focus, emotionally incontinent hollywood bullshit imaginable. It was so unbelievably bad it just ruins everything that’s gone before it. Absolute tripe!

DezB
    Free Member

God, yeah, the end was painful. At least it was only the last few minutes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘"ROOTS"….’ is closed to new replies.