Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rooting a Desire
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Is it worth it and is it convoluted? I’m reasonably OK with this kind of thing but don’t want to spend ages on it if it’s not of much benefit (my main concern is slow browsing TBH)

Stoner
    Free Member

I have a rooted tablet that I muck about with with custom ROMS.

Not sure Id bother doing my phone though…to important to me 🙂

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

I rooted my HTC Desire ages ago and would say it’s worth it to increase app storage space. Loads of ROM’s to choose from but my favourite is from MIUI. Their standard web browser is quite good and they have loads of themes for their ROM if that’s your thing

Like a lot of developers they’ve stopped working on the Desire as it’s getting a bit old but Sandvold seem to be making progress with their Ice Cream Sandwich ROM.

Check out the guide below for a how to, this is where I started.

http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/163477-desire-all-about-rooting-updated-11-nov-2011-a.html

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Haze

I rooted my Wildfire which I guess is a similar process. I’m no geek and don’t usually go into these things without good reason, like you I’m fairly competent and it went well.

Not sure I’d bother again to be honest, there were a few improvements but just as many annoyances.

Performance gain wasn’t particularly noticeable.

That said it was a Wildfire, and probably like putting lipstick on a pig.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Thread does not live up to title*

molgrips
    Free Member

I need to root my wife’s cha cha (how’s that for innuendo?) cos it’s basically rubbish and virtually unusable with the standard ROM.

MrGreedy

I keep meaning to do this as the low storage space problem is becoming a PITA. Here’s a relevant thread that I favourited a while back – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rooting-an-htc-desire-low-storage-space-issue

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOLs at Haze and CFH, think I’ll not bother.

rogg
    Free Member

Cougar came up with some links and instructions the last time this topic was raised, if I remember correctly. Seemed pretty straightforward (and well worthwhile), but I still haven’t got round to doing it myself. I’ll have search and see if I can find the thread.

edit: turns out it was different thread, but same link as the one mrgreedy came up with above:

Cougar

Yeah.

Abridged, it’s definitely worth it, it’s a bit of faff but not too difficult if you take your time and follow the instructions. I wished I’d done mine ages ago after I finally bit the bullet, the difference was night and day.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

If you are going to the trouble it’s definitely worth changing the partition table.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rooting a Desire’ is closed to new replies.