Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Roofing works – additional work dispute
  • keppoch

I have had my pitched, tiled bathroom roof replaced on my Victorian terrace.

Before the works were done I had a written quote.

The roofers came and completed the job in two days. I am happy with the end result. The only additional work they told me about whilst here was the need to strengthen a single rafter by bolting a section of timber to it. The additional cost of this wasn’t stated but described as ‘not much’.

I have now received the invoice. It includes a listing of the agreed works at the original quote price as well as £600 of these additional works. This does not describe the additional work that I was notified of but does include a number of tasks which simply have not been done. Phantom works. The roofers have even sent me photos proving that they weren’t done!

Clearly I am not happy and need to challenge this. I am happy to pay for additional works that were done – although they should have told me at the time as I was in the house the whole time the work was underway.

So given that I am happy with the works as quoted should I…
    1. pay for the original quoted price and discuss the additional work to agree a price.
    or
    2. should I withold all payment until agreement about the total cost has been reached.

I am currently thinking 1.

Payment will be made by BACS. Roofing boss has already shown indications of being unreasonable (shouty voicemail).

Advice welcomed.

keppoch

Long post I know and a bit heavy for a bank holiday Monday but would really appreciate an opinion or two…

nickjb
    Free Member

You need to dispute it, ideally in writing. 2 is probably correct, if you do 1 then you might be deemed to have accepted the invoice. That said by doing 1 they might be happy to get some money and not be bothered to chase the rest. Either way it is perfectly fair not to pay if you don’t think they did the work and you need the invoice clarified.

Edit. Also I’d pay by cheque if you can. That way by cashing it they are accepting it. Not sure if this helps but make a sense in my head.

keppoch

Cheers nickjb, pretty much confirming my thinking.

Yes my next step is an email back to them with a number of photos proving my points.

wrightyson
    Free Member

They need to fully qualify what is deemed as extra. What was the total cost originally? As I see it 600 quid could cover the labour costs for the two days alone if it was tradesman and labourer. Post back up and I/we can tell you what you roughly should have paid for what was “extra”

keppoch

Thanks wrightyson

The work was done by two roofers and a labourer. They worked two pretty full days (0730-1730 first day and 0800-1500 second day) and looked to be working hard, quickly and effectively. To be honest I think all the problems have come from the boss at the office rather than from them.

The extra tasks detailed (and in their words) are:

1. Removed rotten rafters to the rear annex
    2. Supplied and fixed replacement rafters (all old original rafters were moving and not fixed at the bottom and top wall plates).
    3. All toes and rafters (top to bottom) were re-screwed into the wall plates
    4. Supplied and fixed rafters in between the old original rafters (to re-strengthen annex structure).
    5. The bottom of the rafters (joining on to bottom wall plates) were treated with Cuprinol.
    6. Top course of slate batons were drilled into the top wall plate to strengthen and bind the annex roof structure.
    7. Supplied capped ridges (different to original quoted ridges)

Of these tasks:
    Numbers 1, 2 and 5 were simply not done. I have proof of this (photo of old rafters still in place!)
    Number 3, 4, 6 were done but seem to involve minimal materials or labour
    Number 7 was done but I would only expect a marginal cost increase as the original quote also included replacing the ridge tiles (and really I would have expected them to know what sort they needed as they came to look at the job)

The total extra cost for these items was £630.

I’d be grateful for any opinions on how much a reasonable extra cost would be. For what was actually done I am thinking around a third of that. I don’t really want to turn this into a big hassle but equally I don’t want to pay for work that has not been done.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Are you really asking us whether you should pay an additional invoice for a list of works that includes things they have not actually done

Reply to invoice, attach proof the invoice is false[ potentially fraudulent] and refuse any initial payments unless they can prove where you agreed to the additional works they have not done

They are at best incompetent and at worst fraudsters

Arkell v. Pressdram would also be a tempting consideration

So many trades folk find extra work above a quote it hard to know what is real and what is not

What does the quote say as well – is it binding?

keppoch

No that is not what I was asking.

I was asking whether I should pay the initial agreed amount for the works I am happy for now and settle the disputed extra works afterwards or whether I should withold all payment until the additional costs are settled.

I already have replied in writing to the invoice and attached proof as you suggest.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Whats the rough length and width of the reroof?
    Did they give an estimated time for the original job?
    If the original estimate was 1 day then it could be 500 labour for 2+1 gang, plus materials.
    The main thing is asking for a breakdown of the extras which you are most entitled to do.
    Also you certainly need to clarify with them that items haven’t been done that they are claiming for.

wrightyson
    Free Member

And to answer your initial question, no I wouldn’t be paying anything at the moment but I would make it clear that you are happy to pay for the original works.

keppoch

The roof is no bigger than 4x3m
    I had a verbal estimate of time of 2-3 days. The price was agreed on a list of tasks.

I have done exactly as you suggested and requested a breakdown of time and materials for the extra tasks being clear which I do and don’t accept.

I have just spoken to their office on the phone. They are requesting payment of the initial amount and I said I was happy to pay for agreed works in principle but needed to check whether this would predjudice payment of the disputed tasks.

So based on advice I think I will withold until agreement is reached.

Thanks for your help.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Its a very simple one to clear up and its in their interests to do so as they’ve not had a penny yet. I hate extras/daywork whatever, for that reason I have a duplicate book in my office which is filled in and signed by all parties daily after the work has been done. That way we’re all covered and no one loses out.

keppoch

Sounds a brilliant simple system. Whenever you are on here you always sound like the sort of tradesman I wish operated round these parts!

Like you say, I don’t want the hassle either.

Junkyard
    Free Member

whether I should pay the initial agreed amount for the works I am happy for now and settle the disputed extra works afterwards or whether I should withold all payment until the additional costs are settled.

You are in a much stronger negotiating position if you have withheld all the money than if yo have already paid the bulk of the invoice

Personally I would not pay till it was all resolved/agreed as it also encourages them to speak to you and resolve the issue.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Roofing works – additional work dispute’ is closed to new replies.