Roofing tiles – Slate V Concrete

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Roofing tiles – Slate V Concrete
  • Premier Icon sandwicheater
    Subscriber

Our roof needs replacing. We knew it needed doing when we purchased the house so it’s not come as a surprise.

What has surprised us is the price difference between slate (what we have now) and concrete (what every roofer has suggested).

Do they have similar life spans?

I’ve concerns as our neighbour is slate (terrace houses, we are at the end) and don’t know how great a join can be between two different tile types.

footflaps

Houses in my street still have original Victorian tiles on them, so Slate obviously lasts!

Having set said, the Colosseum Pantheon in Rome has the largest unsupported concrete dome roof in the world and that’s lasted over 2000 years.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

Concrete tiles weigh a good deal more than slate so check they are even an option.

Premier Icon sandwicheater
    Subscriber

My heart says slate, the additional £3000 price tag I like not so much.

To be fair, I’ll never see it. It’s just the join between concrete/slate that has me worried.

mikey74

Slates need replacing? I’d be surprised. Maybe the membrane or battens need replacing, but I doubt the slates would.

Be careful as some builders will tell you slates need replacing and then take them off our hands and make a nice profit selling them on or using them elsewhere.

leebaxter

its generally the battens that go. I would say if its installed correctly, it will still be there long after you are gone regardless of concrete or slate.

Having set said, the Colosseum Pantheon in Rome has the largest unsupported concrete dome roof in the world and that’s lasted over 2000 years.

FTFY

Slates will, theoretically, last indefinitely.
    It’s usually the nails that attach them to the roof that disintegrate, or the battens.

I’ve still got the same slate that was put on the house in 1896.

Slate looks nicer too.

Rockhopper

Many older building have sagging roofs due to slates being replaced with concrete tiles.

Premier Icon Straightliner
    Subscriber

There can be a difference in weight (slate lighter) so going with tiles may need futher wood work on the roof to support the additional heft.

– Rockhopper just beat me to it

Subscriber

We’ve had three roofers in to take a butchers. We’ve not asked them to quote to replace, just to have a look to repair and each one has said replace. That being said, I’ll get a couple more people to take a look.

Believe roof is original so 100 ish years, no membrane and structural survey picked up on condition of slates when we purchased it.

I hate not knowing enough about a subject to be taken advantage of.

EDIT: Cheers, I’ll ask what steps being taken to support extra weight.

footflaps

Also, if you’re considering Slates, surely the cheaper option is a man made Slate tile like Eternit, which looks like Slate but is lighter and cheaper. Same effort to install as Slate.

craigxxl

Get in touch with a local roofing reclamation company about paying you for your old slate, They will probably strip it as part of the purchase to ensure it isn’t damaged and they can sell you the replacement slate too so you get a proper match as there is all different types of slate used.
    If you are going down the route of slate then I would have assumed your roofer would have discussed this with you otherwise they are probably just pocketing the cash tax free.

Subscriber

I’m yet to meet the roofer.

You are giving me lots of food for thought and my question list is getting longer which, is a good thing.

Didn’t even know about man made slate, cheers.

blastit

Slate all the way, concrete will Knock a bit of value of your home as well. Should be able to salvage 75% of your roof and top up with New or reclaimed. Also look at Spanish and Chinese slate as cheaper options than tradition Welsh.

mikey74

We’ve had three roofers in to take a butchers. We’ve not asked them to quote to replace, just to have a look to repair and each one has said replace.

Of course they would. They’ll make a tidy profit out of it. Personally, I’d get an independent surveyor to inspect the roof so you can discuss with the builders armed with the correct information.

Premier Icon 40mpg
    Subscriber

There may be planning implications or heritage issues moving away from slate – I’d contact your local planning officer to check.

Slates can be re-used, even re-holed for fixing again. Ask for this to be priced.

Not all slates are equal. Welsh slates are high quality and ‘home grown’. Spanish are generally a bit cheaper. Colours vary so you may be restricted to re-using similar source to original.

Slate-effect products are also available, genberally cheaper than the real deal, but still look a whole lot better than concrete tiles.

As you’re attached, IMO changing to a different material would look terrible! If there is ne break in teh roof covering (ie parapet) then patching in concrete tiles to slates would be, er, interesting (I’m having visions of patchwork quilts!)

trail_rat

theres a house similar to mine in town (semi detached) thats had red concrete tiles fitted ( we have red clay tiles)

his neighbour still has red clay.

it looks horrendous. they have used some kind of divider up the roof between the two houses.

the new concrete tiles are about times the size of the originals so although the colour is similar – it looks awful.

forzafkawi

We did self-build several years ago and I wanted slate but baulked at the cost. I even considered the Eternit version but that was also outside of our budget so we eventually opted for slate “look alike” clay tiles.

After a few years these developed minor defects due to imperfections in the clay and I always wished I’d gone for the slate as there is a similar house across the road with slate that looks fantastic.

I would advise getting an independant surveyor’s advice and keep/repair the slate you have if possible. Maybe if you approach another roofer with the position that you want to keep the slate you might get a more positive response.

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

Slate, you owe it to the house. Don’t devalue your property.

ex slater

creamegg

Having re-roofed many roofs I can tell you that slate does not last forever. Yes it does last a long time, and longer probably than most concrete tiles but it can perish to the point that it just crumbles as soon as you pick it up. Usually affects the parts that overlaps another slate more. However it’s unlikely all the slates would need replacing (some will get damaged when stripping off too) so check with the builders what they’ve allowed for, depending on the state of it allowing around 30% new slate would be reasonable. If you do decide to go concrete make sure the builders leave the slate as it will be worth a bit of money. The joint between slate and tiles can be weathered using lead so not an issue. Slate looks better and is the better material

palmer77

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member
    Concrete tiles weigh a good deal more than slate so check they are even an option.
    POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Page 5: http://www.welshslate.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Roofing_brochure_webJuly14.pdf

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

@gmail.com">creameggmtb@gmail.com wrote:

I can tell you that slate does not last forever. Yes it does last a long time, and longer probably than most concrete tiles but it can perish to the point that it just crumbles as soon as you pick it up.

depends the slate type a Ballachulish slate will deteriorate due to the iron pyrite in its structure, however a welsh slate will go on forever.

just how old is slate?

Premier Icon Wally
    Subscriber

Go with the slate. I did and we reused 70% ish of the old slates and they were 100 years and some old and apparently good for another 100 now rehung with copper nails in fresh battons. I will be long gone before the roof goes. Welsh slate with the pink spots, lovely.

wrightyson

Some usual dodgy advice up there. Slate as stated will break down over time. Which elevation it’s on can also be a factor. Stripped a school for the last project and 50% was shagged, just crumbled as again stated above. The rest was sold. Don’t replace with Chinese it’s bobbins. Spanish is a nice mid ground slate and won’t break you like true Welsh/cornish slate.
    Don’t put concrete on its horrible, especially if butting up to an already slated property.

footflaps

Most houses in our street (Victorian terrace, conservation area) get reroofed with Eternity as its cheaper than Slate and just about looks the same. I have mine re-done in Spanish Slate about 18 years ago, cost twice that of Eternit at the time IIRC.

A friend of mine has recently had their roof re-done with that Eternit (or similar) artificial slate. Only noticed it wasn’t real slate when looking out of the attic dormer window.

Did you ever watch that Sarah Beeny show ‘My house is falling down’? I remember one house had roof problems caused by heavy tiles on a Victorian terrace.

ChrisE

Watch out though there are slates and there are slates.

If you see the vast spectrum from Burlington greens at one end to Chinese slate at the other.

I bought 2nd hand Welsh slates which are way better than Chinese or Vietnamese slates. At work I’ve laid Brazilian which are OK but obviously not Burlingtons.

Find a really good firm if slaters (not roofers) and they’ll tell you what to use. We also used £400 worth of copper nails at home but worth it.

C
    (Ps I’m a chartered builder)

theres a house similar to mine in town (semi detached) thats had red concrete tiles fitted ( we have red clay tiles)

his neighbour still has red clay.

it looks horrendous. they have used some kind of divider up the roof between the two houses.

the new concrete tiles are about times the size of the originals so although the colour is similar – it looks awful.

Yeah, we have slate, guess what the two LHA houses next door got reroofed with?

As you say it looks shit and we get starlings nesting at the bottom of the ridge under the tiles. We have roof type 6b as shown below (minus the upper collars at the apex) and it’s not the strongest, more so when you convert it and move/remove the lower collar ties. Ignoring velux you can easily tell who has had a loft conversion done, most probably not within regs.

(Mid 60’s terrace, can get a photo of the grand canyon tomorrow if anone wants to see it)

Premier Icon slackalice
    Subscriber

One question: What is the £3000 difference as a percentage of the value of your property?

Next to **** all I would imagine. Now go away and put the slates that are taken off, back on.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Roofing tiles – Slate V Concrete’ is closed to new replies.