Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Roofing question, when to treat woodworm?
  • ac505
    Free Member

We need to re-roof the house and sort out some wet rot (mainly sarking boards). We also have some woodworm that needs treating in the roof space . The roofer would rather re-slate and sort the wet rot first as apparently the woodworm chemicals are flammable and as he’ll be using  power tools he’d rather not have any issues…. , but I would have thought we would want to sort the woodworm first? Any experts out there that can advise?

TheFlyingOx

Any experts…

The roofer…

Ummmm….

ac505
    Free Member

The roofer is not a woodworm treatment expert….

timba
    Free Member

I guess it depends on how bad the woodworm damage is. Small amounts can be treated after re-roofing, the main thing is that it isn’t allowed to become worse. IANAWWE

wwaswas

I’d get it done when the old roof is off and before the new one goes in – access will be a lot easier so you’re far more likely to treat it all (including the face of any wood with the roof resting on it and if any of the wood is too badly damaged by worm it can be cut out easily.

Also, if the roof’s off the chemicals will dry more quickly and the house won’t smell so bad.

I guess the roofer will be using paslode type nail guns but once the first membrane is on it should be fine, surely?

Also, I suspect the roofer want’s to do his work all in one go, not strip the roof and go away for a day or two while the woodworm’s done.

mucker

We just had ours done, to facilitate the houses sale. I think you be better to wait till the roof was back on otherwise the application of the chemical will be harder to control (usually sprayed on) also not that much of a problem with smell, it soon went away.

blastit
    Free Member

most woodworm treatment is water based now , cupinal 5 * is.

Dog it on when roof is off, its says in instructions it needs to be running off surface to make sure you have enough on. So I would rather be looking down than up. Thats what I did.

canna
    Free Member

When the roof is off as you can spray the rafters on all sides , once it’s back on you will miss the top edge .

i always spray once I’ve stripped the old roof as it’s easier because you need to spray the wall plates which depending on how your roof is set out some are exposed in the loft but most will be hard to get at .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Roofing question, when to treat woodworm?’ is closed to new replies.