Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Roof rack weight limits.
  • ratherbeintobago

2017 Civic apparently has a roof rack weight limit of 30kg.

Is it just me or is this ridiculously low? A Thule 598 weighs 4.2kg empty…

maccruiskeen

Can depend on a few things I suppose – its not necessarily a worry that the car will just collapse under the weight – these days you’d expect NCAP rated cars to be pretty tough. However it can be a measure of the strength of the fixing points – if you’re roof rack attaches the car’s roof rails those rails themselves might have a pretty flimsy connection to the car.

The other issue though can be to do with the dynamics and safe handling of the car. Landrover put pretty modest load limits on roof racks for some of their models – but thats because they’re already pretty tall and unstable vehicles- so they’re not going to recommend putting a lot of weight penduluming about so high up.

Its all pretty nominal though. The weight is only a small factor in the loads and forces the rack will experience – the wind loads and twisting forces on whatever you strap to the top of the car will often be more significant. The forces associated with the ladders I have on the roof of my car will be much more than the 10kg they weigh would suggest

SaxonRider

I can offer no scientific response except to say that I agree with you, and when I had a VW Polo that also had a very low weight limit, I tended to just pack what I normally would in terms of gear – on the basis that everyone seemed to and survived.

Please note: I am neither an engineer nor a physicist. I tend to make decisions using the Force.

EDIT: I wrote this thinking that no one else was responding so I would bump the topic up. Turns out proper advice appeared before I finished typing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What mac’ said, it’s not the risk of crushing the car it’s the risk of it flipping over.

I asked Ford if my c-max would take the weight of a roof tent, their response was that yes the published limit was for dynamic stability but they couldn’t put a figure on a load whilst stationary (roof tent plus 2 campers could be well over 200kg).

ratherbeintobago

30kg for a normal-height hatchback seems a bit stingy; similarly dimensioned Golf does 75kg.

Saccades
    Free Member

That would piss me off – basically ok for a bike, maybe just about two.

What’s the tailgate like, my car’s is too weak for a bike rack so I have to use a roof rack if I want to transport more than 1 without taking wheels etc off.

ratherbeintobago

That would piss me off – basically ok for a bike, maybe just about two.

Aye. That was what I thought.

geoffj

Panoramic roofs can reduce load limits too. Was one of the reasons I didn’t get one on my current car.

ratherbeintobago

I did wonder if they’d taken the technical data from the panoramic roof model. But as I’d be after a steel roof…

timber

Pretty sure I saw 80kg stamped on the model specific bars for our Panda, and that is neither broad or short.

And as for the forces of two 6m long, 900mm pipes on the Land Rover roof at speed, who knows, but it still has a roof.

joebristol

I’ve got a Jag XE and think the load limit on there is only 50kgs. Not sure if that’s to do with the the strength of the roof, or the poor way the only roof bars that fit it attach.

bensales
    Free Member

50kgs is 110lbs. That should be enough for a rack and even two 40lb endure gnar monsters.

But I agree, Jaguar should be putting on proper fixing points these days. A saloon with the wrap around clamps looks even more shit than roofracks always look.

Seasucker FTW.

ratherbeintobago

Fewer and fewer manufacturers are putting fixing points on though;

Last Astra had them; current one doesn’t.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I just used my roomster to bring back 10x 2x4x2.4m planks, I guess around 10kg each, so 115kg or so all in inc. the rack (which still had two thule bike racks clamped to it). I didn’t die.

I wouldn’t worry about keeping under the weight limit. You know what litigation fear does to common sense these days.

skeletor

My Nissan Note has a 50kg limit. There’s not noticeable handling difference with three bikes on top, though it’s a bit sluggish over 55mph. That said I drive like a pensioner so It does me fine.

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah – just sue glasgowdan if it goes wrong 😈

maccruiskeen

I guess around 10kg each

More like 3kg

tomd
    Free Member

My dad is an avid sea kayaker, those things weight a tonne and cause loads of drag on the roof. He bought a new car last year and loads of models were ruled out because of roof rack loads. Even cars that have rails now either have a) very short useless rails or b) low weight limits.

He ended up with a Yeti – the limit is 75kg I think and the rails are properly long. So maybe worth looking at some of the VAG cars if you haven’t already.

DickBarton

The roof bats may be rated for a weight, but the roof itself will have a weight limit as well. I have some Yuro roofbars with a weight limit of 90kg, the roof has a limit of 75kg (evenly spaced across the roof, so 37.5kg each bar) so check what is being read is for the right thing.

ratherbeintobago

It’s for the roof. Bars rated for 75kg IIRC.

bensales
    Free Member

joebristol – Member
    I’ve got a Jag XE and think the load limit on there is only 50kgs. Not sure if that’s to do with the the strength of the roof, or the poor way the only roof bars that fit it attach.

This got me curious, so I checked my XF. 75kg apparently. I only ever carry one bike on a Seasucker, so not an issue.

http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/document/2H/2017/T19977/21848_en_GBR/proc/G1923198

glasgowdan
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – Member
    I guess around 10kg each
    More like 3kg

No, around 10kg each, like I said.

bencooper
    Free Member

Just checked, and mine is rated for 100kg. Old Volvos rule 😉

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Remembering that the C of G of bikes is well above the roof rack, I was pleased to see I’m safely inside my limits, if I ever put the t*nd*m on the roof.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Roof rack weight limits.’ is closed to new replies.