Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Roof Rack thoughts for Audi A6
  • GDRS

Right – for years we have been ‘stuff the bikes in the car’ people.

However, we are now toying with putting them on the roof, as our son is now big enough to occupy more of the car – and on long trips to my parents he is entombed in luggage, wheels and other health and satey threatening clutter of a family with hobbies on the move.

I would like some recomendations / experince / thoughts on roof mounting options – x2 29ers (3in tyres) and x1 Frog….we have a an old A6 all road – so there is plenty of roof to play with.

Thanks in advance.

G

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My experience is that for routine several times a week use then roof bars and racks are by far the most convenient and faff free way. If its once in a while then tow bar mounted rack.

escrs
    Free Member

Personally im not a fan of roof rack mounting, had one for a year on my A4 Avant and observed the following issues

Bikes can be a pain to lift on and off due to weight/ slippery when wet etc.. chance of damaging the roof, mud/grit falling onto the car

Cant see whats going on with the bikes once driving, forget the bikes are on the roof when going into a height restricted car park

I changed to a towbar mounted rack which solved all the above issues, only thing to watch out for is when reversing, rack can even be tilted to allow access to the boot

Takes a extra 5 mins to fit the tow bar rack each time, same as fitting the roof rack if you dont like to keep it on the car all the time

iainc

A6 Avant here with 3 Thule 598s on the roof, I fitted them the day I got the car new 18 months ago and they haven’t been off (apart from to grease and torque every 6 months).  They are very fit and forget and I have various bikes on the roof 2 or 3 times a week. The standard ones take everything from kids bikes to longish 29’ers no problem, though you may need to adjust the tray for longer frames – a 2 minute job, which only need done once.  For plus and fat tyres Thule do longer wheel clips

jam-bo

I think the correct STW answer is to buy a van…

mike_p
    Free Member

What iainc said +1

I’ve got 4 racks on the roof, mounted on Thule wing bars.  Once assembled the whole rig lifts on and off fairly easily in one big lump.

vincienup
    Free Member

If you are an average size with no upper mobility problems andarent especially forgetful then roof rack every time unless you already have a towball fitted at which point it becomes a matter of preference.

3” tyres will fit an older Thule 591 without issue, much wider and 598’s with the wider tray options become a better plan.

A roof rack plus carriers will easily cost less than having a proper towbar fitted to almost any modern car especially if the electrical preparation was not specified when new.  Then, a folding carrier for three bikes will cost around the same as the roof rack plus carriers again, and may impede boot access (some flap to accommodate).

I’ve been using roof mounted carriers for years now.  Even a mid size hatch like an Alfa 147 will easily carry three full size FS bikes on the roof, your A6 should have no issue.  I’ve never found loading to be a problem, damaged my roof or managed to get mud inside while loading the roof.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve been a habitual inside-the-car user for years. In fact well over a decade. Due to the impending Monkeycub, Mrs Monkey has put her foot down and said that I can’t keep putting filthy bikes in the car as it’s not suitable for a baby. I felt like pointing out that babies are filthy little monsters themselves, but there’s no arguing.

So I picked up a secondhand set Thule Aerobars and fitting for our car, and a 591 carrier (Halfords will price match so you can get them for 60 squid).

It’s been a revelation. Chucking the bike on the roof is MUCH easier than in the boot, and the car stays much cleaner. I leave the bars on and remove the bike holders (ours isn’t the nicest area) and with the T-Bar fitting on the Aerobars it’s literally a minute or two job. I’ll probably pick up a couple more carriers when I have a bit more cash.

If I’d had a towbar already then I might’ve gone that way, but I didn’t so the cost just didn’t make sense.

The main downside for me is the lack of security, if I need to stop off for a wee at services while I’m on my own – the carriers are lockable, but I wouldn’t trust them to stop someone grabbing the bike. So I just tend to loop a lock around the rear wheel and the roof bars – you could still get the bike off with a bit of effort, but you’d either have to remove the rear wheel or the bars, which should hopefully dissuade opportunists. A longer lock could go through the frame too.

warns74
    Free Member

Just to echo what has already been said by iainc and mike_p

Previous A4 Avant and then A6 Avant,  both with 3 x Thule 598s. Quick and easy to get bikes on and off, and easy to remove racks and bars. I regularly carry 3 bikes (incl. two large and one XL 29ers). We’ve done several summer trips with family, carrying 3 x family bikes including kids bikes on the roof down to southern France etc. Been using 591s and 598s for well over 12 years on carbon and alu bikes, never had an issue.

nickdavies

Just throw them on the roof. I used to be an inside the car person, just cant be bothered anymore. Even the security aspect has stopped fazing me now – ive been forced down the road by having bikes on the back of a t5 and havent had one pinched in 3 years, leave them on top of the car no bother now too.

Audi make good oem bars, that and some thule bike carriers and your away. I switched to the qr ones when i went carbon but the modern thule ratchet frame clamp ones are supposed to be carbon safe too.

garage-dweller

The Atera racks aren’t bad as an alternative to Thule.

Roof rack wins over tow bar for everything but fuel consumption and security ime.

Security only because it’s easier to get a much burlier non integrated lock around a tow bar arm.

Someone mentioned height for roof racks but that’s swings and roundabouts really because towbar racks give you length issues in most UK car parks, especially on a large estate and you have to think hard about nose weights on the towball for legality and balance. Towbar racks also compromise rear visibility to a significant extent and IME need far more bar twisting to get a good fit. We get four on the roof of a mid size estate with space to spare and only the bars on one bike needing a twist. No way we could do that on most tow bar racks.

GDRS

Thanks everyone. When we got the car there were some roof bars in the boot (as you do) and I have kept them in the shed ever since – but I think I am going to get them on the roof this w/e and then take a stealth trip to Halfords for a look see.

Nice work everyone.

G

matt_outandabout

Gumtree often has good Thule cycle racks for rid bars, usually less than half price, often barely used…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Roof Rack thoughts for Audi A6’ is closed to new replies.