Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Roof carriers and tall cars
  • Harry_the_Spider

Just fitted a of Thule 599 to my SMax and tried loading a bike.

Initial conclusion was that it was a bit ****ing dangerous for either the car, the bike or myself. Gave up trying to load my Cannondale Trigger after nearly dropping it on the the roof. Eventually succeeded with my lad’s hardtail as it is smaller and lighter, but still managed to drop it on my head.

Is it a technique thing or what?

ratherbeintobago

Folding step?

That or I think Thule did bars that unlocked, slid sideways and tilted to make it easier to reach.

MoreCashThanDash

Most people seem to carry a folding step.

We eventually opted for a tow bar rack

Harry_the_Spider

Just ordered a step.

For a very shaky 5 seconds I thought I was going to drop a 30+lb bike sideways on to the roof of the car!

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I use Thule slide bars plus a step. The sidebars extend sideways in both directions and allow you to get away from the side of the car so you’re not leaning over the roof. Good for shorties like me. Downside is they weigh a ton and have the aerodynamics of a brick.

samhay
    Free Member

There is some technique to it as well.
    If you don’t have a step, standing in the front seat can help.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Don’t be a short ass 🙂

Peugeot partner here and since Jnr arrived bikes go on the roof for family trips 🙁

Wife doesn’t use the roof racks for this reason though.

mattbee

Air suspension with ‘access mode’ on the Disco. Lowers it 50mm.

samhay
    Free Member

Front seat should have been front seat well (unless you’re both gymnastic and unusually vertically challenged).

Harry_the_Spider

Don’t be a short ass 🙂

I’m a strapping 5’11 1/2″ I’ll have you know!

danmac
    Free Member

Ive managed to get away with using the side steps on my XC90 as the seem about a foot off the floor. Not sure id try if they weren’t fitted though. A friend of mine uses a double caravan step for his Alhambra

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You can get a wee fitting that goes into the door lock fixture on the door frame of the car, just about forefoot size, allowing you to step up enough for such tasks.

Get em for about 12 quid on Amazon, like this kinda thing.

https://www.mokidoorstep.com/

csb

Making sure the downtube holding arm is in the right place for the bike to be thrown on is key. If it isn’t you do indeed do the ‘shit it’s going to fall on me’ panic dance.

garage-dweller

I normally use a tow bar rack on our SMax but I do regularly load a 43kg Topper dinghy.

I put the Topper on the other car a couple of weeks back (Focus). What a difference in terms of ease of reach. 😭

I’ll be taking a hop up when we go away as need the towbar for the trailer. I might even stick the tow bar rack in the trailer as th thought of roof loading them isn’t appealing. 🤔

Harry_the_Spider

Making sure the downtube holding arm is in the right place for the bike to be thrown on is key. If it isn’t you do indeed do the ‘shit it’s going to fall on me’ panic dance.

That’s the problem with the Trigger. The “exciting” shock and pivot arrangement means that there isn’t a great deal to grab hold of above the BB.

I need to practise. Can someone lend me another car?

matt_outandabout

Meh.

Try getting open boats on a Galaxy.

This is why we moved to towball rack.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Try getting open boats on a Galaxy.

Once rode at GT with a guy who had a XL inbred strapped to a moped, all the way from Edinburgh. He’d fashioned himself a rack from an old sash window.

paule
    Free Member

Lifting the mountain bike tandem (40odd lbs) onto our X1 is kind of tough. Definitely make sure that the arm and cranks are in the right place and the clamp is open before lifting. Also open the front door first so that you can step onto the sill if needed.

Biggest problem with the tankem is the ungainly length and the second chain which makes it tricky to lift from either side. When we swap this car, definitely going lower!

fossy

You need an old fashioned normal car.

40mpg

Lifting a surly ice cream truck (or even 4 of them!) Onto a volvo xc60 when you’re 5’9 with a dodgy shoulder and back ain’t easy.

I take some decorating steps nearly everywhere. I even need them to clean the bloody thing 😳

Bungy round the front wheel to stop it twisting as you lift helps.

I’ve developed a technique for our 2 kayaks so I can do it singlehandedly- kinda lean, lift, swivel.

I’d love a van.

pictonroad

Steps and standing on a tire or find a handy wall. It’s not easy. Even a decent high kerb can make a difference.

cookeaa

Folding step?

Is the answer basically.

For the few times I’ve used a roof rack setup on our C4 pic, yep standing on the door sills is not a sensible way to lift and or work on bolts and straps.

‘Technique’ wise hold the bike lower down the fork leg and seat tube then you would normally, whatever your stepping on you need to be able to get a foot onto without obstructions or anything. You’re going to lift the bike, and in a single step forwards go up. The main goal is to get the wheels into the carrier, one they’re supported you can pivot the bike up and mess about with clamping arms etc (depending on the carrier)…

If I was transporting multiple of bikes frequently (say weekly?) I would certainly want a tow bar mounted rack; I’d not be fitting/removing the roof bars that often, and I’d not be leaving a roof carrier on the car permanently. Doing multiple unergonomic overhead lifts of 30lbs+ in various carparks, you’re bound to injure yourself eventually… YMMV.

lardman
    Free Member

Is it a technique thing or what

To get my heavy Enduro bike (or pretty much any bike) on the roof of my S-max has always been a bit of a struggle.

I always open the rear door first, lift the bike up and put the tyres on the roof in one move, then stand on the sill and jam my arse up against the door. When braced like this, I can lift the bike onto the rack gullies. I then tie the front wheel strap up, before I clamp the done tube (Thule type rack) then all’s good after that.

After a few times, you’ll get the hang of it.

lardman
    Free Member

@nobeerinthefridge

Thanks for the link to that door step thing, looks interesting.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@lardman I honestly don’t know if they’re any good, but they look like a decent solution. Looks like weight is distributed into door pillar, do not all on the lock part.

mjsmke

If the car is that tall, why not put the bikes inside the car?

garage-dweller

I’m guessing more than one bike.

IME the SMax can take three decent sized bikes inside and three passengers.

Drop the back row and two of three middle row seats. Bikes go in lengthways with no wheels along the side of the car and you can just about jumble the 6 wheels, packs, helmets etc in around them / behind the remaining middle row seat. I’ve done that with a combination of 24, 26 and 29 bikes but none of those are big LLS enduro bikes.

If you’re carrying four it’s going to be a non starter.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Children.

breadcrumb

Children

Very much this. I used to be in the fold the rear seats down and put the bike in. With child seats fitted it’s just so much easier to use a rack.

bigG
    Free Member

I use one of the aluminium steps that hook into the door catch in order to allow me to get to the roof box on my Volvo. I’m a short arse and well lardy and it feels really secure.

Saves carting around steps and it sits in the glovebox when not being used.

Great invention in my opinion.

G

sillyoldman

Put the kids on the roof.

pdw
    Free Member

Try holding the bike on the chainstay, rather than the seat tube. YMMV but I find this much easier as it spreads the weight more evenly between your arms.

Harry_the_Spider

Because there are 4 us and 3 more bikes already in the car.

Definitely a technique thing having had to load and unload it a few times over the weekend. The steps will help too.

franksinatra

I have a SUV (I know). Getting the arm/clamp in the right place is critical when lifting the bike up.

I have mastered the taking down technique, I realise the clamp and let the bike fall towards me and I catch it. Brilliant, except I am currently nursing a broken finger from it reminding me that it is not a perfect technique.

slowol

Step is likely the cheap option. However if money and weight are not an issue then a drop rack must be the answer:
    https://www.roofbox.co.uk/dropracks/#uses

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Roof carriers and tall cars’ is closed to new replies.