Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Roof boxes and bikes
  • HansRey

I’ve got a Corolla estate (2021), with a Thule 598 bike roof rack. If I get a “normal” width roofbox from Thule, rather than the narrow “Sport” versions, do you think that I can fit both the rack and roofbox on top?

Tldr, does anybody here have standard width roofbox and bike carrier on their car?

fazzini

Tldr, does anybody here have standard width roofbox and bike carrier on their car?

Couldn’t fit both on my old Atera bars but they were car roof width ones – only as wide as the footpack – so I went with the narrower roofbox. I haven’t tried on my Passat now where I have bars that overhang the foot pack, but looking at it, I reckon with pedals off I could fit both. Might need to ‘reverse’ the holding arm (I have 591) so it is road-side not roof-side if that makes sense?

tomd
    Free Member

I can get a wide roofbox + 2 thule aero bike rack things on the roof.

But I specced the Thule commercial probars which you can get in differentb widths so have them slightly wider. Defo wouldn’t work with normal bars.

Pieface

You’ll need to get the measurements of them all, but based on my attempts I think you will. You can tolerate a bit of overlap (perhaps 3 centimetres) between the box and the bike rack as it overhangs and the angles may clear each other, plus you can probably get away with a bit of an overhang on non bike rack side.

momo

On the stock bars on a Corrola probably not, I have the same car, the roof is pretty narrow The thule bars are only 107cm long IIRC. I have a half width roof box and can only fit one bike rack on with it.

I have kept my old wider bars from my old Mondeo though (haven’t tried them yet, they may not work, but they’re 20cm wider if they do)

Saccades
    Free Member

On the bars from my MK3.5 Mondeo I can get the biggest roof box Halfords did at the time (470l), on the roof with a Thule 598? Bike rack.

HansRey

Thanks all. I’ll go for the normal width box and cross my fingers that the bike fits.

bri-72

Yes, zafira tourer, narrowing bars (ie don’t extend beyond the feet type) and a regular box. Was tight though as I recall for opening the roof box. All depends on style but very close to the BB area and I had to remember to take one pedal off to give enough clearance so could sort of get access to roof box with bike on. For proper box wide open hand to be bike off first.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.