Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Roof Bars for XL 29er
  • sotonkona
    Free Member

I recently bought an XL 2021 Kona Process 134 CR 29er and the wheelbase is huge (compared to my previous bikes!) at 1255mm. I can get it on my old Thule ProRide 491 roof carrier, but it’s pretty much at the very limit each end and I am not sure I’d feel comfortable on the motorway or going at any great speed with it on there! My previous 26 inch framed XL bike fitted great and had no issues. Has anyone had experience of using one of the these for a longer wheelbase 29er? Is there any alternative bike carrier you’d recommend for Thule roof bars?

davros

Thule 598 will be long enough I reckon. Based on my 1224wb.

matt_outandabout

Thule 598 and 532 works with Rocky Mountain Altitude 1210mm wb, with a good few cm extra to go.

RichBowman

I used a yakima forkchop as I couldn’t get the 598’s working (and that was a 1220mm wheelbase) on my roof bars.

sotonkona
    Free Member

The Yakima Forkchop looks like a good and sturdy option (that doesn’t touch the carbon frame) as it doesn’t really matter too much about the wheelbase as long as my roof bars can get far enough apart. How have you found it? Do you know if it fits T bars?

Painey
    Free Member

The wheelbase on my XL 29er is 1270mm and it fits fine on my Thule 598. It’s right at the ends but I drove it 600 miles last weekend with no problems.

RichBowman

Hi – found it really good to be honest. Nice and simple to set up – it just clamps around the bars. Prefer using it to the 598 when moving the carbon road bike about.

Only downside is needing to carry the front wheel either in the car, or (as I’ve seen others do when researching it), strapping it to the frame.

There’s no lock on there either (if you’re using thru-axles) – though from what I hear the Thule locks are pretty ineffectual anyway.

I’m not using it now, so considering selling it – drop me a PM if you’re potentially interested in it.

All the best,

Rich

sharkattack

1328mm wheelbase here. Thule 598 is fine. Even better when I figured out how to enlengthen it.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Ive got a XXL hightower on a Thule 598 just fine.

grantyboy
    Free Member

I had this issue, do a search and see if you can find my thread.

But I use a Thule 561, with the bars turned 180 degress to shorten the wheelbase and a fork up adapter to get a few more mm’s out the rack.
    This fits a Bird XL AM9

sotonkona
    Free Member

Looks like the 598 is the same length as the 591, just has a better clamp for carbon frames and the wheel straps are diagonal so more secure with skinny tyres. Maybe I should try sticking with the 591 for now, but maybe add a couple of extra straps/padding! If that fails I might have to check out the Forkchop. Thanks for the advice everyone

damascus
    Free Member

Is there any alternative bike carrier you’d recommend for Thule roof bars?

Sell the bars and rack and buy this unless you carry more than one bike at a time.

But I use a Thule 561, with the bars turned 180 degress to shorten the wheelbase and a fork up adapter to get a few more mm’s out the rack.

This fits a Bird XL AM9

I’m off to rotate my front wheel to see if this will work with my bike and if my cables are long enough 👍

deltacharlie72
    Free Member

sharkattack
    1328mm wheelbase here. Thule 598 is fine. Even better when I figured out how to enlengthen it.

This. I find it very strange that Thule don’t provide any instructions regarding how to relocate the clamp further back on the rail. Doing so gives you the room at the front to accommodate a longer wheelbase.

sotonkona
    Free Member

Update – did a 5 hour (mostly motorway) round trip with the Process on the old 591 roof bars. The wheelbase is right on the edge at each end, but it was all fine, put some extra straps on to make me less paranoid!!

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

I’m on the same quandary…… Im changing cars soon and will require a new bike carrier as my Large Bird Aeris 145 won’t fit on my Thule Pro-ride due to bottle cage…. I was looking at the Yakima Highroad or the Forkchop.

dc1988

I have an XL Aeris 145 and it fits on both my 591 and 598 after some adjustments to where the arm is on the rail with a little more room to spare.

When it comes to how secure the Thule racks are, you never need to worry. They are held in place mainly by the arm so a slightly wobbly front wheel isn’t an issue. If everything is done up tight enough then it won’t move, I’ve seen a roof rack fall off a car at 60mph with two 591’s (holding bikes) attached, the 591’s were still securely in place with the bikes.

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

Is there any chance you have a pic of your Aeris on the rack…. My problem is my water bottle mount being in the way.

dc1988

I don’t have a picture and I wouldn’t be able to get one for quite a few weeks at the moment. My bottle mount was quite a way forward and left loads of room for the clamp, I clamp it just ahead of the chainring on the downtube before it curves steeper upwards. I’ve now added an adaptor to lower my bottle cage and there’s now less room but still room to clamp the frame.

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

No worries…. I will have another play with the rack tomorrow and see if I can get it to fit.

submarined
    Free Member

I bought a Highroad, like above, the water bottle mount on my Aeris and on my Ripmo get in the way of the clamp on many other racks.
    It’s a good rack, but Yakima haven’t got the details nailed down like Thule. Things like the ratchets on Thule straps, and space to hook the strap out of the way whilst loading. Yakima don’t do anything like this.
    I also have my concerns how long the steel construction will last.

Anyways, it’s a decent rack and holds nice and sturdy. Fits an ML Aeris 120 with a -2 angle set no bother.
    The longer L Ripmo is technically too long as the wheel cradle doesn’t quite sit far back enough, but works fine in practice.
    If I was doing it again I’d buy the Thule equivalent.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Roof Bars for XL 29er’ is closed to new replies.