• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by wzzzz.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Roof bars and bike carriers
  • Mounty_73

I am looking at getting the Thule ProRide 598 bike carrier.

I’m pretty sure it will work with non Thule bars, but can anyone just confirm that the Thule 598 is compatible with the CRUZ 118cm Airo R aluminium bars please?

Cheers.

blue77
    Free Member

I use mine on a generic roof bar and they are fine. Bars are square profile and use them with the clamps. The slotted bar “t” bolts (assuming they use a standard size slot) should fit any bar too.

This made more sense as I wrote it, hopefully it makes sense to you.

garage-dweller

As above.

My understanding is that T track / aero bars take a standard insert (except iirc a small number of car manufacturer OEM roof bars – I recall someone mentioning BMW or Volvo in the past?).

Square bars are a standard profile also so should be totally interchangeable.

b230ftw
    Free Member

BMW roof bars are the exception – the t piece needed is a slightly different size which you can order from roof box website if needed.
    Volvo AFAIK just sell rebadged Thule.
    I think all other t slots are identical.

csb

You’d do well to look on ebay for bargainous Volvo branded 598 bike carriers. 75 quid each!

igm

csb – good shout. £74 delivered from a Volvo dealer’s eBay account. We’ll see what turns up.

dcarley
    Free Member

Nice PSA on the Volvo branded carriers! I’ve been looking for two more 598s, but didn’t want to pay retail prices and haven’t found any secondhand nearby.

dc1988

I have the Volvo eBay one, I was watching it and got offered another 5% off I think. It only comes with the T bar fitting (if you needed the under clamp ones)

richmtb

Nice PSA, Thule 598 are £125 at Halfords.

I’ve got one very old 591 that need replaced so just bought one

jkomo

I ground the Thule T bar thing to fit BMW. Seems fine on both now.

csb

To reassure sceptics, the Volvo 598 carrier is legit Thule with full instructions etc. Volvo must have changed it’s aftermarket parts supplier or something.

ollie_the_brave
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure it will work with non Thule bars, but can anyone just confirm that the Thule 598 is compatible with the CRUZ 118cm Airo R aluminium bars please?

My exact setup. Works perfectly. All fits together very well. On a discovery sport for what it’s worth.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Yeah I have cruz bars on a merc with thule 598s, works fine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Roof bars and bike carriers’ is closed to new replies.