Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Roof bar help
  • jkomo

I need some roof bars, and haven’t got time to get online so it’s off to halfords tomorrow.
    The thing is, do I just get the cheapest or should I spend a bit more on Thule?
    I doubt I’ll have the car for years so is Thule better cos I can change the fitting kit?
    I really have no idea and the halfords website roofbar gadget is down.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’d go for Thule. I’ve had others and the ease of fitting and build quality don’t compare. If you can afford it go for the whisper bars as they are much quieter than the square bars.

bobmac892

+1 for what craigxxl said.

the initial outlay might be steep but worth it in the long run. I’ve had the oval bars with several different over several cars in the last 10 years and changing the fitting kit is so cheap and easy. Very versatile and robust, well worth the initial investment.

shifter
    Free Member

It’s a painful outlay, but they’re right ^

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve just got some Atera Aero bars for my VW golf. Really great bars and quite a bit cheaper than the Thule alternative.

matt_outandabout

I had a colleague who was suckered into Halfords bars on a new car. One canoe on = bent bars.
    I had another colleague who bought Skoda bars with her new car. One canoe on, not even tightended this time, and they bent, popping the roof mount off.
    Meanwhile I have a set of Thule bars, that regularly carry three canoes or four bikes, or a sofa and two mates(!) occasionally. They are now 10 years old. And still fine.
    I also had to buy an extra bike rack for them on the way to hols – bought the only one the shop had in stock (Exodus). One bit fell off on the first journey. It just tooke me 10 mins to re-fit it to a roof bar. Meanwhile my 7-8 year old Thule’s are fine, and took about 30 seconds.
    Thule everytime. It is worth it.

jkomo

Ok, that is fairly conclusive.
    Thanks

jkomo

Got the Thule wing bars, £15 off, and as you all said are super quality. Very pleased.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Roof bar help’ is closed to new replies.