Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Ronde van Vlaanderen / Tour of Flanders – who's going?
  • Digger90
    Free Member

I’m doing the long route again this year: 259kms!

Looks like they’ve relocated the start back to the Grote Maarkt which is a good thing.

Any other STW’ers going this year?

timrobinson229
    Free Member

See you there.

110 miles round a bitterly cold, snowing wales yesterday.

Lets hope it gets a bit warmer!

sturmeyarcher

Few of us heading over from Sheffield for the 160km route. Will be on Kwaremont with beer and sausage for the pros. Great event, can’t wait!

aP
    Free Member

Nope, Paris-Roubaix for us this year. Proper pavé!

darrell
    Free Member

not this year. the Missus and I have just had a baby.

Marge
    Free Member

I’m doing it but as a local maybe it doesn’t count….

I’m registered for the long one but more likely going to ride the 160 (& maybe also ride it on the Friday).

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ll cheer you on.

aP
    Free Member

Oldgit – you going on the Sunday?

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes.

aP
    Free Member

Ok. Still on same phone number? Will be in contact.

kilo

133km with the Mrs

warton
    Free Member

not this year, hopefully next. did it in 2011 and the experience has yet to be beaten.

We do both in a weekend. 70 odd miles of Paris Roubaix on the friday, Ronde sportive on the saturday, very close together, if you use Brugge as a base.

shuhockey
    Free Member

yep
    Middle length route for both Flanders and Roubaix!!
    Excited a little bit!!

plop_pants
    Free Member

Full one for me too. 12th time. Looks easier this year.

Digger90
    Free Member

12th time?? Kudos to you plop_pants.

I’m going for the long game too having ‘discovered’ RVV last year. Frankly, I spent the whole last year looking forward to this year’s RVV… can’t wait! 😀

Hope I’m still riding it 10 years from now…

Bez

Hope I’m still riding it 10 years from now…

I’d be wanting to finish a bit quicker 😉

Digger90
    Free Member

Just received final instructions.. and it appears it in fact starts at the Jan Breydel Stadium again.

plop_pants
    Free Member

If you haven’t picked up your entry pack in Oudenaarde the day before then you have to go to the stadium and pick it up there on the day. You will then you are directed to the Grote Markt which is the official start.
    I’m picking my number up in Oudenaarde so I get an extra half hour in bed and go straight to the market square and get on with the ride without the faff.

timrobinson229
    Free Member

received instructions you say?

not heard a peep….

timrobinson229
    Free Member

ah just checked spam

Digger90
    Free Member

Annoying.. because I’m staying in Bruges, will have to ride 6kms out to the Jan Breydel stadium, then another 6kms back to Bruges to the Grote Markt (I am right in thinking that’s the main square in Bruges aren’t I?)

Guess it’ll be a long day then!

plop_pants
    Free Member

Head for the BIG clock tower Digger, just follow the hundreds of riders into the centre. Which hotel are you in?

Marge
    Free Member

All 16000 entries are now taken….

It will be interesting to see how they organise the ‘exclusivity’ of the course.

I’m still not decided if I will ride the 250 or 150 course… 😕

Digger90
    Free Member

Plop_pants, I’m staying in the Parkhotel Bruges on Vrijdagmarkt.

Last year I was at the Novotel.. rode out to Jan Breydel Stadium and then started, so know the route. Just seems a bit funny to go from centre of Bruges out to the start, then ride back into the centre of Bruges..! Oh well, it’s all kilometres in the legs. A bit like the first 10kms of Milan San-Remo I s’pose.

Marge – no need to worry about ‘exclusivity’ on the course if you’re doing the 259kms… by the time you reach the hills most/all the people riding the shorter routes will have cleared off.

Dr_Bike
    Free Member

a group of us are heading down fron Edinburgh for this, arriving on Thursday to soak up the atmosphere beer :mrgreen:

timrobinson229
    Free Member

Weather forecast showing 0-4 degrees for the day with a northerly wind. Still snow on the ground in Gent…. going to be cold!

plop_pants
    Free Member

Pretty much acclimatised to it now. Windchill of -7 on my ride on Sunday and pretty much that today.

Digger, I was going to suggest that I could pick your number up with mine from Oudenaarde on Friday. I’m staying in the IBIS at Brugge railway station so could meet up but I’m not sure it will be much help as our hotels aren’t that close.

Marge
    Free Member

No snow in Gent anymore…
    Today was lovely sunshine and up around 7 degrees.

Weekend looks like its going to be wet though 🙁

Edit: woohoo – forecast has changed since this morning. Saturday cloudy & 7 deg…. 🙂

Digger90
    Free Member

Plop_pants.. many thanks mate, that is a very kind offer. Don’t want to put you to any trouble and it probably is better if I just get it Sat morning at the stadium.

I’ll be on a black/white carbon Colnago with red Hope hubs on the wheelset and wearing a black & white jacket or rain jacket if anyone passes and wants to say ‘Hi’!

crazybaboon

Just had a mate pull out of the 259 km ride, so it looks like I’m doing it this Sunday!
    4 days notice is a little short to get any training in, guess i’ll just have to suffer!

plop_pants
    Free Member

good luck Sunday Crazybaboon! Give my regards to Tommeke :0)

crazybaboon

Ok maybe Saturday rather than Saturday!
    I’ll be shouting Russ Downing on with a beer in hand Sunday!
    Go Fonzy!

plop_pants
    Free Member
    Digger90
    Free Member

8hrs to go…. Am in Bruges, bike’s ready, I’m ready having stuffed myself with a lovely Creme Brûlée!

plop_pants
    Free Member

Everyone survive ok?

As I wasn’t sure about finishing it due to the threat of snow I got in a fast group just to see if I could get to Oudenaarde before blowing up.
    Of course the weather was fine so hitting the hills with wobbly legs didn’t help but I managed to staved off the dreaded ‘bonk’ until 30 miles to go. After that it was just a misty haze.
    Another fantastic event that just gets better each year!

crazybaboon

Vey hard day, hardest day on a bike I’ve ever done.
    Finished in 9hs 36 minsfor the 259 km, forced to walk on the koppenberg because of a fallen rider blocking the way, managed the rest although overgeared with 53/39 rings, I’d use a compact if I do it again.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Have a look at the pictures on the RVV Cyclo site of the riders doing the shorter distances on the Koppenberg. Total gridlock. I dabbed for the first time on the Koppenberg after a rider fell in front of me putting me over onto the only damp bit on the climb. Rear wheel slipped like it was on ice. Managed to get going again though.

kennyp
    Free Member

Typing this from a hotel outside Oudenaarde, where Omega-Pharma were earlier. Amazing weekend. We did a recce ride on Friday, including climbing the Koppenberg, then rode the 133 km route yesterday and spent this afternoon on the Kwaremont with thousands of drunk Belgians. Add in brilliant beer, chocolate and some of the finest steaks I’ve ever tasted and it makes for an altogether near perfect few days away.

Great cycling country. Bikes have total right of way everywhere in Flanders and the people are hugely into their bike racing.

Digger90
    Free Member

OMG that was HARD!!!!

I bonked after 6hrs.. just didn’t eat enough (although I thought I had and was regularly stuffing my face). The rest was done at a snail’s pace took me 2hrs longer than last year, and I was fitter, lighter and in better shape. Oh cr@p.

The temperature didn’t help me as my body slows down in the cold, and then it started snowing very lightly toward the end too…

It wasn’t that hard last year – what happened???

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Ronde van Vlaanderen / Tour of Flanders – who's going?’ is closed to new replies.