Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Roman Lakes, best bang for buck route…
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

Hi guys, new poster, joined this forum due to the sheer number of posts about the Roman Lakes and surrounding area 😀 and it seems a lot more laid back with less aggression than some other forums I’ve viewed!

I’ve started checking out routes around the Roman Lakes, and wondered if anyone had links to their Strava routes of good bang for buck loops.

Heres what I rode at weekend and everyone seemed to be going the opposite direction LOL

From Roman Lakes the climb up Nields Way wasn’t great, too slippy, too many rocks to get good ascent speed, and interrupted by lots of dirt bikes.

Then it was more climbing up gibb lane, whetmorhurst road, boggaurd road and the first half of black lane, before I got any descent in.

I took the route down some steep steps and down a footpath behind houses which wasn’t that great, then headed back to Nields way and the ride down the rocky river was great, sort of descent I prefer.

http://www.strava.com/activities/75570323

I’ve seen some segements which possibly look a better descent “not the banks DH” and also “stawberry golf course” but some better loops would be great, to get to the high points and down again 🙂

nbt

Ok, I see where you went. What you call Nields Way, we know as Linnet’s Clough – For us, Nield’s Way is the climb / descent along side New Mills Golf Course, from the Fox Inn.

It’s worth calling into Roman lakes and buying their guidebook, they’ve quite a few routes mapped out. I think you might be able to download it online for free. It should show you the descent frm the fox inn to strines station (also a challenging climb) and thence up nields way as I mentioned – carry on up the lane and at the cross roads turn right along Zig to the road, left then right along Zag. at the end turning right takes you to Aspenshaw Hall, the bridleway there is closed due to storm damage but at the top you can turn left and take the Last Drop to Rowarth, aka the 49 steps, then circle back to the end of bogguard (also reachable by turnin left at the end of Zag and climbing back up the hill on road). Frm the cross roads take Primrose Lane (opposite Zig) and then left onto Black Lane, over the top past Mellor Cross and down The Banks

there’s loads. Follow your nose. Don’t post rides on footpaths, share those in person

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Thanks nbt, i’ll check those out. I’m not sure its a footpath or not, its just the route all the youtube video’s take from Mellor Cross.

nbt

or see my profile for our (mostly) regular thursday night rides out of marple. Note might be wednesday or weekends on occasion, and I might be absent for a while

banks
    Free Member

+1 drop us an email be far easier to show you around than list 1000 words document on every turn.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Roman Lakes, best bang for buck route…’ is closed to new replies.