Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rollers – normal tyres or special turbo style ones?
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Tempted by some rollers as I need to do some indoor training as recovery for a leg injury. Do I need to use a turbo style tyre or is the wear rate acceptable on normal road tyres?

kilo

I’ve had to put a blue training tyre on my bike, never had any issues with tyre wear on the turbo and just used standard rode tyre but the rollers seemed to kill my rear tyre.

Gotama
    Free Member

Interesting, what brand of rollers?

These caught my eye on wiggle

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-antares-professional-training-rollers/

Solo
    Free Member
    baysixty
    Free Member

From my personal experience I’ve found normal tyres, I use gator hardskins to be more than fine on rollers, I’ve used the same tyres at my clubs turbo nights and have noticed that after a while I ended up with sliiiick tyres so do take caution still

jonba
    Free Member

Be fine on normal tyres. People warm up on them at races for that reason (and the simplicity)

FWIW I use normal tyres on my turbo. I get through one each winter but they are knackered old ones at the start anyway. Just keep a few in the garage from previous years.

eddie11
    Free Member

For rollers normal heavier weight tyres like Duranos that are already on the bike. They do wear but It seems fine. I wouldn’t use your best cotton racing tubs though.

Gotama
    Free Member

I’ll probably use the rollers mainly with my commuting bike so happy to put some tougher tyres on. Sounds like a go. Thanks all.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rollers – normal tyres or special turbo style ones?’ is closed to new replies.