Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Rollerblading
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

Does anyone here do it?

I was quite into it as a youngster, played for a roller hockey team and skated everyday.

It seems to have drastically fallen out of fashion nowadays, but I keep getting the urge to buy some blades and try out some aggressive /park stuff. Any good clubs, sites or info out there? Not much shows up on Google.

I’m thinking more

Than

yunki
    Free Member

Mrs yunki does roller derby..

It’s a pretty aggressive and demanding full contact sport.. Traditionally a girls thing but there are male leagues springing up too now I believe

Tom-B
    Free Member

. Traditionally a girls thing but there are male leagues springing up

😕

tinybits
    Free Member

I do it before skiing, superb work up. Very popular in Germany still. Can’t remember the last person I saw in the uk

takisawa2

I take the kids to a roller disco thats held in a local sports hall on a Sat tea time.
    It’s more an hour’s wobbling around to One Direction than Red Bull Slopestyle Gnar.

**For the benefit of those not down with the kids One Direction are popular music band, not the skating rules.

I’m tempted to take my two to our scout hut when it’s quiet. 🙂

passtherizla
    Free Member

Its died over here… me and the rest of the skate community thank you. Now if you can just make micro scooters disappear life would be perfect.

how do you ‘skate’ a set of rollerblades? surely you ‘roll’ or ‘blade’ in roller blades..? If I were to say I’m going skating that’d be fine because i’d grab my skateboard and I’m off….?

😉

antigee

nearly dead for the time being a few older guys very sometimes at the local indoor skate center – hockey might still be going though read some interview with a pro ice hockey player who started out roller blading and got signed to a pro team in the US at 14 only 20 now

oh and thanks for the pic’ – I remember thinking at the time that only one of the Nolan Sisters was worth a wrist action

PiknMix
    Free Member

I’ve still got my K2 250’s, i used to skate loads when I lived in Plymouth. Still have the urge to head into town late one night to see if I still have it 😉

Klunk
    Free Member

my son and his girlfriend play roller hockey and she does kids training which seems quite popular.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I do wish people would stop calling Inline Hockey roller hockey as I actually play Roller Hockey/Rink Hockey/Hardball Hockey. Moan over.

Sorry bud but I think the disco guys in quad skates is where its at right now. As said Roller Derby is super popular with loads of fat chicks buying quad skates. Most of them can’t skate but it doesn’t matter because its the future of the sport in the UK.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

how do you ‘skate’ a set of rollerblades?

Roller skates. Inline skate. Ice skate. Skateboard. See the pattern?

Rollerblade™ is a trademark.

Tom-B
    Free Member

🙁 maybe I need to become a trend setter!…..or move to Germany!

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

My local skate/BMX park has a few in-line skaters on it occasionally, BUT it’s always got kids on Fookin scooters on it.
    I did hear that there is a petition going round trying to stop them using it as it wasn’t designed for scooters so if someone was to hurt themselves then the council would be at fault for not giving guidelines of use?
    It is floodlit and the kids aren’t on it after 9pm anyway 🙂

Haze

passtherizla – Member
    Its died over here… me and the rest of the skate community thank you. Now if you can just make micro scooters disappear life would be perfect

Scooters will disappear in time, just as rollerblades have and anything else getting in the way at skateparks up and down the country will.

Skateboarding will out-live the lot.

Tom83

I got itch to start skating again. But got a bmx instead. Sure I’ve still got my old Razor Flats at my mums house though!

binners

I also fancied skating again, as my eldest daughter is getting right into it. Quads not blades though. Still hankering after another pair of Bauer Turbo’s. Hmmmmmmm

*wanders off to ebay*

DezB
    Free Member

I’m thinking more

Ooh, look. Someone jumping. Looks rubbish don’t it.
    *Off to find that Bob Burnquist video again*

prawny

I dug my Snakeboard (remember them!) out yesterday morning for a roll down the local skate park, ramp was too wet though. Really need to learn to skate properly now though, maybe I should just suck it up and buy a board. 30 isn’t too old to learn is it? 😕

colonelwax
    Free Member

Scooters have been banned from my local ramps, happy days.

I am a full on Guardian reading, hand-wringing, worry about offending people, PC do-gooder.

But I can’t get over my hatred of those stupid roller skates, there’s nothing “aggressive” about it, it’s stupid. get a skateboard. I’ve got a mental list of the derogatory terms for fruit-booters which I can’t shake off.

Sorry, reverted to my 15 year old self there, carry on and do what you want 😉

andytherocketeer

Very popular in Germany still

Even more popular in Holland. loadsa bladers on the cycle path after school/uni/work in summer. Quite a few here in the Germany too. Spose the popularity is aided by the extensive network of pristine cycle paths?

Round these parts you tend to see cross-country roller skiers too. Often see one guy, presumably training for winter, roller skiing whilst towing a kid in a bike trailer. Bonus of them is they work on hardpack stone chip forest bike paths too.

D0NK

saw a guy on blades inline skates a few months ago so decided to dig mine out of the back of the wardrobe, bit of a pootle down a quiet smooth street. Just normal skating crossover cornering, bit of backwards, I don’t do park stuff so I guess I’m more likely to be from the OPs B&W pic (looks like John Bishop in the white pants!?) Was fun anyway, need new wheels tho.

Mrs thinks it’s tragic of course, was chilly so I had a hat on and buff covering half my face, half hoping I wouldn’t get recognised just incase anyone I know saw me, went passed some lads and heard one say “…that bloke who rides bikes…” 🙄

Yeah tragic but I still like it – still not been out since mind.

<edit>not understanding the hate from the skateboarders, guess it’s like mtb v road, xc v dh, but there seems to be some genuine hate there rather than banter.

scruff
    Free Member

Check out the pic at the top, he can hold his foot in the air woo-hoo!

Bin Liners.

Fruit Boots.

Haze, where you at a demo way back in the day where there was a Yank rollerskater, cant rememeber where it was, maybe Wheels or Lem. He was actually not that bad, the rest of em can eff off though. And they cant take the micro-scrots with them.

colonelwax
    Free Member

not understanding the hate from the skateboarders, guess it’s like mtb v road, xc v dh, but there seems to be some genuine hate there rather than banter.

nah it’s banter, only reason it seems worse is that generally the rivalry is between young ‘uns, when it seems REALLY important.

And skateboarders are well grumpy and dismissive about anything that isn’t skateboarding. I’m still a bit disappointed in myself that I enjoy other things TBH.

D0NK

generally the rivalry is between young ‘uns, when it seems REALLY important.

the thought did cross my mind

I’m still a bit disappointed in myself that I enjoy other things TBH.

🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

Fruitbooting is not cool though.
    Maybe it was for a fleeting second around the time of leg warmers and when ‘Fame’ was on telly.

Haze

where you at a demo way back in the day where there was a Yank rollerskater, cant rememeber where it was, maybe Wheels or Lem. He was actually not that bad, the rest of em can eff off though. And they cant take the micro-scrots with them

Have a vague recollection of that, just enough that I think I remember something like that happening once. The only rollerskater that I ever took any real notice of was Mon Barber, would have rude not to though considering it was his ramp!

Whilst it was (is?) true that skateboarders could be a little dismissive of anything else, there was always a healthy respect for anyone who got pretty good at whatever it was they were doing.

I personally never understood the grab thing with fruit boots though…

scruff
    Free Member

Grabbing your fruit boot is LAME-O-VILLE.

Its like skiers grabbing their skis, whilst holding poles – WELL LAME !

CountZero

Scooters will disappear in time, just as rollerblades have and anything else getting in the way at skateparks up and down the country will.

People have been saying that for years, and still the damn things keep on keeping on.
    Not that I have an issue, too old to care. Dug my board out a year or so ago, thinking I might find somewhere smooth and see how I get on, but I’m too worried about messing my left knee up more than it already is. 🙁
    It’s obvious the school holidays are here, we wouldn’t normally be getting the school kids on here at this time of the afternoon. 😉

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Got a mate who has just taken up Roller Derby at the age of 42. In Falkirk, plays teams from all over Europe.

brassneck

Scooters are accessible to even the grommest of groms – they are very big in my kids circle of friends. I am conducting an ongoing psych-warfare campaign to get them on boards, but it’s not gaining traction.

Worst thing is a proper park scooter, welded everything, heavy as ****, spins round on super smooth headset bearings and **** you in the shins when you move it out of the way.

CountZero

Scooters are accessible to even the grommest of groms – they are very big in my kids circle of friends. I am conducting an ongoing psych-warfare campaign to get them on boards, but it’s not gaining traction.

Worst thing is a proper park scooter, welded everything, heavy as ****, spins round on super smooth headset bearings and **** you in the shins when you move it out of the way.
    Park scooter? Obvious, I s’pose, but first I’ve heard of those.
    I think the popularity of scoots is like you say, even the clumsiest of grommets can ride the things, they’re easy to fold away, and they’re faster than walking.
    One thing I can’t get my head around is the popularity of those tiny little wheels that boards have on them now. It was bad enough when I had blue Kryptonics and Bones on my boards, hitting gravel and pavement imperfections stopped it dead in its tracks, those tiddly little wheels must get stopped by the tiniest litte things.
    Still, boards are much lighter and more flexible now, so perhaps that helps; my old Hobie is a real plank!

theflatboy
    Free Member

For some reason reading this thread made the words “Taig”, “Khris” and “X-Games” pop into my head… 😕

nedrapier

Not sure how skateboardists can get all huffy about the term “skating”

People put roller wheels on the bottom of ice skates to make roller skates, to skate when they’re away from ice. People took the same rollers and put them on the bottom of boards of wood to replicate surfing away from the water.

So which sport’s got more claim over “skating”?

Is it the one which has taken roller skating and moved it closer in action and performance back to actual ice skating, or the one that should have been called RollerBoarding from start?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Dude if it’s not a bike or a board it’s totally gay.

steveoath
    Free Member

I always thought that inline skating “flowed” more the skateboarding.

[video]http://youtu.be/WUibGdDr8TU[/video]

yunki
    Free Member

As said Roller Derby is super popular with loads of fat chicks buying quad skates. Most of them can’t skate but it doesn’t matter because its the future of the sport in the UK.

I havta bite, just cos mrs yunki is a rollergirl..

last bout I went to with the Mrs, there was at least 5 fighting fit, wild eyed, fast skating, heavily tattooed chicks for every 1 ‘less confident’ skater..

and those big girls make good blockers too

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Ha a set of sabotage, oxygen argons and k2.fatty pros…..look like a right twit now doing it at 32

nickname
    Free Member

I used todo inline skating (about 15 years ago). Check out the local parks, lots of ramps were built back in the day, and probably aren’t used now 🙂

Lots of skateparks still around.

Funnily enough, I was thinking about skating the other day and checking out youtube vids, seeing if my childhood skate hero’s were still around…and lots of them are!

chipsngravy
    Free Member

I pray that my son will never ask me for a pair of fruit boots. The day he does is the day I’ve failed as a parent.

steve-g
    Free Member

What’s the hardest thing about learning to rollerblade?…….Telling your parents that you’re gay

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Rollerblading’ is closed to new replies.