Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Rollerblading…
  • the-muffin-man

…as a grey balding 41 would I look like a right sad twunt skating around the roads on them!!?

I bought our 7yr old daughter some from Decathlon at the weekend and decided to try a pair on myself (not skated since my 80's roller disco days!). I wobbled around the store for a short while before getting the hang of them and am now thinking they might me a good addition to getting fitter.

molgrips
    Free Member

You won't look stupid if you look like you really know what you are doing.

However be careful as if you are planning on going for it for exercise purposes you'll be a liability to any pedestrians, dogs, kids, cows etc etc since rollerblades have no brakes.

Yes, there are ways to stop quick-ish but it's really not good enough to skate around other people. It's why I stopped doing it.

aracer
    Free Member

…as a grey balding 41 would I look like a right sad twunt skating around the roads on them!!?

Yes. Doesn't stop me though – quite fun going out on them with mini-aracer on his scooter (though I did learn when I was still in my twenties, so am at least a reasonably competent 40yo).

The trouble with using them for fitness is finding stretches of decent tarmac. I go out on roller skis (with pneumatic tyres and using poles) instead as I can go round the back lanes which have rubbish surfaces. Strangely enough the kids seem to think they're actually cool.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

rollerblades have no brakes.

Mine certainly came with some, and they didn't get taken off until I was just as competent at stopping without them. You don't really want to be using them where it's busy, but if it's not then I don't see the issue, as you shouldn't need to stop too quickly (now my rollerskis not only don't have brakes, I can't even use the sideways drag I do on my skates – stopping is a slow process involving stepped snowploughs or turns).

smudge
    Free Member

Brilliant fun but watch out for unleaded dogs as some make a B line for you!!

Mine still get plenty of use and it wont be long before you're T stopping again 😉

I'd suggest wristpads though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Those little blocks on the back aren't exactly Hope V2s…

as you shouldn't need to stop too quickly

I'll remember that next time my car fails its MOT 😉

But yes, what I am getting at is that it's great where there's tons of open space, but I have seen people doing it on pavements and so on. Although even in a wide open park you could still easily get little kids running out in front of you.

mogrim

The trouble with using them for fitness is finding stretches of decent tarmac

+1

Although even in a wide open park you could still easily get little kids running out in front of you.

And the brakes would be completely useless, in the time you have to stop you could just as easily swerve round them (or stop dragging the back wheels, spin round etc.).

To the OP: Go for it, it's a laugh. You'll only look stupid when you're starting, once you're a bit more graceful you'll look fine. You only really need wristguards, anything else is pretty unnecessary and would look dumb.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Still got mine 😀

Really got into it when I lived in Munich where they ran a blade night every week.
    They'd close off the roads around the city centre and 10,000 people would take part, following a rolling roadblock for about 15km.
    blade-night

Always ended in a beergarden too 😛
    Better totty factor than your average night-ride though.

kevin1911

I bought some in toronto a few years ago, as it seems to be a pretty normal mode of transport over there. probably due to them having pretty well surfaced paths.

Only been out on them once since getting back, due to feeling like a pratt (cos I'm not exactly steady) and the fact that I can't stop anywhere near quickly enough to avoid people or street furniture. Keep promising myself I'll go out and get the hang of it…

aracer
    Free Member

The thing is, to avoid people (and little kids who run out in front of you), you steer rather than stop – just as you would on a bike.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

No you won't look silly

as long as you become a rollerblading god.

molgrips
    Free Member

steer rather than stop

Right well that's not always possible is it.

On a bike I can steer OR stop PDQ depending on the situation.

But everyone on this thread agrees it's for wide open tarmac, so no argument.

Pigface
    Free Member

Sweden and Finland is awash with roller bladers keeping fit for the x country skiing. My missus sister did 120km two weeks ago, took 2 days, more people on them than the rollerskis.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

They are a scourge and a menace and the work of Satan, no less.

aracer
    Free Member

Right well that's not always possible is it.

When a kid runs out in front of you when out on a tarmac path in a park it is – at least if they don't run out so close in front that you'd hit them if you were on a bike.

JulianA
    Free Member

You only really need wristguards, kneepads and elbowpads and why not wear your cycle helmet if you have one[s]anything else is pretty unnecessary and would look dumb[/s]

Kneepads and elbowpads have saved quite a few nasty roadrashes for me! And the cycle helmet seems like a pretty good idea to me – costs nowt to wear it if you already have one, and might save your bonce…

molgrips
    Free Member

When a kid runs out in front of you when out on a tarmac path in a park it is

Right. So not always, then! 🙄

fubar
    Free Member

would I look like a right sad twunt

Just make sure you wear a large mushroom shaped cycling helmet and also wear lycra shorts (or even a body suit) – you will then be well cool.

LoveMyBikeLady
    Free Member

Love my skates too har -Landrollers have larger wheels and are good for offroading oh ok only joking, but they can roll over bumps more easily with their larger wheels. You could always try skating with a walking pole (bit more trendy than a walking stick) , no not joking either, for extra balance and to help you stop.

LMBL

joemarshall
    Free Member

I always used brakes – you can stop very quick when you [list]have the knack of it, and they are much more manouvreable than a bike. I used to skate happily enough down the south bank in london during peak tourist season, and it was fine, even for an only okay ish skater. They are great in crowds or on pavements, as it is much easier to go slow and fit in with other people if you have to, and you can accelerate nice and quick when there's room.

Not much use where I live now – all bloody cobbled streets!

Joe

KT1973
    Free Member

The hardest thing about rollerblading is telling your dad that you're gay

aracer
    Free Member

Kneepads and elbowpads have saved quite a few nasty roadrashes for me! And the cycle helmet seems like a pretty good idea to me – costs nowt to wear it if you already have one, and might save your bonce…

Agreed. I started off with the wrist guards, knee and elbow pads but no helmet. Very glad I did as I'd also have skinned my knees or elbows otherwise – don't think the lack of helmet was a big problem at the speed I was going. Nowadays I only wear the full pads for playing roller hockey, as I'm pretty confident about staying upright otherwise – just wear a helmet and gloves.

molgrips
    Free Member

I once skated to the park to take some pictures of the nice evening. I went to do a spin stop and overbalanced backwards. I really didn't want to smack my camera on the floor, so I held onto it rendering me unable to protect myself from the fall. I landed smack on my arse, was really sore for weeks.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Rollerblading…’ is closed to new replies.