Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Roller garage doors from eBay…worth it?
  • kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Yes, been in the game for 28 years. Hormann are good but try a local industrial door company who buys of a trade only UK manufacturer like Indupart for example.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks kingkongsfinger, that’s useful. I had a Hormann fitted in a previous property and was very pleased with it, just don’t want to pay £1K!

john_l
    Free Member

DrP – you can come & fit mine then, when you’ve done yours ;o)

davewilson634
    Free Member

Hi all I’ve got three rollers currently at mine waiting for me to fit , I cover all of Sussex if anyone wants any type of garage door fitted or supply and fit

davewilson634
    Free Member

Dr p I may have bought a on one off you before with Reba’s etc?

DrP

Righto…..
    So this afternoon,hung over, sunbaked, and tired as my baby simply hates sleeping or being happy….I decided to fit the roller door with my father!

All I managed today was to fit the door and rollers – we ran out of time to actually do the wiring up (plus there’s currently no power to the garage as the sparky cut those cables!!).
    The things that took much longer than anticipated were:
    -removing the old garage door
    -thinking about how best to deal with the fact our garage seems to have been built by “Trowely McDrunkard, the wonkiest brickie in the land…”

The actual process of putting the runners against the wall, lining up, then putting the head unit on top and screwing it all into place is very straightforward if your walls/floor/lintel have come anywhere near a set-square or spirit level. Mine clearly hadn’t…
    We needed to SDS chisel out some of the floor, and will contemplate laying a cement ‘lip’ on the low side, to even things out.
    Also, the brick opening was pretty wonky too, so the runners have a small gap every now and then – this’ll get caulked and I may put a facia against the side brickwork.
    I definitely need a new facia on the top, as now my opening is about 40cm ‘back’, so the lintel etc is exposed.

Anyway, here’s some pictures. Excuse the mess – there’s a reason messy places are referred to as a ‘building site’…

THe manky old broken door. A pain to remove!

Top class brickwork. At least the woodwork has now all gone.

The bare opening.

Lining the runner against the wall. At this point I marked out the fixing locations and then took them down and drilled the holes.

Here you can see the runner with the top unit on. There’s the other runner up too – essentially it’s like a ‘goal’ that you place against the opening.
    The clamps are fab in holding everything in place so you can then drill the brickwork and screw the whole lot in.

Here’s the other side:

And the shutters coming down… (manually at the mo)

And the view from inside. It’s fab as it leaves all the remaining wall space to hang bikes from!

DrP

cinnamon_girl

Thanks DrP for updating, you made a good point about leaving space. Certainly with my Hormann there was some restriction and I had to be careful when putting stuff in the rafters as it was easy to whack the surround(?) with the ladder.

What’s the sound like? Does it need maintenance? Thanks!

DrP

At present it’s silent…. No power!

DrP

cinnamon_girl

Ah, you’ve gone for the electric option?

DrP

Yeah… Key fob control…

DrP

wrightyson
    Free Member

Had a couple of horman sectionals fitted at work on Friday in anthracite grey. They do look lovely but aren’t cheap. Will keep an eye on this post as the cheaper houses on the site may well have those fitted….

pk13

What’s the falconry glove for?
    You can get plastic quadrant to cover the brickwork gaps fit the quad then mastic it looks a lot neater.

Top work

cinnamon_girl

Where should I go to see any make of roller doors on display, diy stores or where? Thanks. 🙂

DrP

What’s the falconry glove for?

My dad is also Doctor Doolittle, and utilises birds of prey to help with simple DIY tasks about the house:
    – falcon = tiling and garage doors
    -tawny owl = paintwork

DrP

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Q for DrP and/or Davewilson

How much of the £605 was delivery? I’ve got a garage that opens both ends and although my plan was to fit a double gazed French door/window to the far end a garage door might be more practical as it would mean I could drive right out the back if needed (i.e. once a motorbike get’s past the Department for the Abatement of Fun, it’ll end up stored in the rear yard). So I’m trying to figure out if two doors is a valid option.

And Dave, how much would that cost fitted? Drop me an E-mail if you don’t want to discuss on here.

DrP

Quoted as free delivery.. I.e two doors = £1210 (for my measurements..).
    Play with the website with your measurements..??

DrP

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cheers, hadn’t found the online calculator just the paper form. Father-INOut-Law needs his doing too, so if it’s a simple-ish DIY job I may end up doing 3 of them for brownie points!

davewilson634
    Free Member

Rollerdor in Norwich, I supply and fit these from £850 for the compact version , this includes 2man fitting team,removal and disposal of exist door and frame and PVC and of course any warrenty work. I’m based in Surrey but travel to coast and surrounding areas any questions just ask 07758926465

DrP

Dave…. As you can see I’ve fitted the door/guides etc
    I’ve fit the ‘newer’ wireless safety edge control box.
    I seem to be having issues with the key fobs since I installed the safety edge unit…
    Before it was press one button for up..the The other for down. But now the top button seems to make it go either up or down, but it need to go all the way up before coming siren again… (I.e if you stop it halfway down, you can’t continue it down..).

Hmmm… I’ve followed the new a4 instructions to the tee….

Ideas??! Ta!

DrP

cinnamon_girl

Looking at this in more detail, it doesn’t look possible to have the door without remote locking. I’ve had remote locking before and don’t want it again!

DrP

You could just bin the remotes and operate it simply from the wired unit (though remote is the reason to get these surely?!)

DrP

footflaps

The controls are all the same on the motors, so you could just buy a wired / key control unit and install that instead. Ours came with both units.

cinnamon_girl

You could just bin the remotes and operate it simply from the wired unit (though remote is the reason to get these surely?!)

DrP

DrP – I’m a woman. I do awkward but don’t do gadgets. 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No-Nails the remote to the wall?

Does anyone do a cheaper non-electrical version? Either on a chain/pulley or just with a handle at the bottom? ~£1200 is proving hard to get past the exchequer.

[edit] http://www.samsondoors.co.uk/product_details2/gliderol-gliderol-mini-roller-a-series-garage-door-steel-roller-garage-doors-steel-/g/1366 ?

DrP

It comes with a box you fix to the wall with up and down arrows on it…
    Simples!

DrP

jeff

DrP, great pictures, thanks for those. I grew up in Worthing 🙂

Dave, do you cover SE berks? (Wokingham)

petrieboy

Since all the STW garage door experts are on this thread I’ll ask here

The piers at the front of my garage are a bit deeper and extend well behind the lintel. If I was to mount a door as DrP has, it would be several inches into the flat garage floor and would leave a gaping hole to fill in front of the door at the top.

In this situation should I use the existing timber frame?

DrP

So….
    There you could fit the head unit behind the lintel (if there’s 205mm, or have the head unit poking out slightly below) and have the runners within the face (mine are behind the face).
    If I were to do that,I would do as you propose and have wood for extra support.

You can simply fix the runners to the wall, but I’d fix some 2×2 wood in, then fix the runners to that also…
    DrP

trail_rat
    Free Member

got round to look at this

dont want electric.

Found “glideroll” doors…..

whats the concensus on them.

looking like 400 quid delivered.

My dads fitted a few for customers he seems to like them.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Have a Gliderol on the “other” house – 9ft wide, remote, control box, etc.
    One of the few that have the “anti-jack” function.
    Been faultless in the 10yrs its been fitted.
    Rollerdoorsdirect – £625 delivered

trail_rat
    Free Member

glideroll are in the process of going under it would seem.

none of the companies i called would take a new order on a glideroll

Phoned rollerdor and was told singleskin roller door no good in a windy area…..

Im vergeing on sticking a set of barn doors on , simpler.

cinnamon_girl

That’s not good for glideroll or yourself trail_rat.

It would be helpful if Dr P could update, please Dr P. 😀 Does the zapper zap first time? Noisy or silent when opening/closing? Any tips on measuring?

DrP

It’s pretty good…I think the ‘weak point’ of the door is the ‘wireless sensor bar’.
    in hindsight I’d have gone for one with a ‘beam’ sensor, as there’s little to have to set up on that. This one needs a bit of faffing about to get the safety sensor working, and even now I’m not 100% sure I’ve got it set up correctly. That’s the ‘electronics’ though.
    The actual physical structure is all fine.
    Fairly quiet, but it is a slow moving electric motor.
    The best thing really is the lack of space it takes up, thus freeing up the wall..

DrP

winrya
    Free Member

Dr p,

I’m about to order one of these myself. My only question is mounting the curtain box above. How is it fixed in place?

Cheers,

Ryan

pat12
    Free Member

Oh I only ordered a door last Thursday and the guy from gliderol literally just called me an hour ago to say it’s arriving tomorrow

surfer
    Free Member

My garage door gave up last weekend and I was looking for a replacement. As if by magic 🙂

DrP

It all mounts together a bit like a goal post and cross bar… Technically you could just fix the runners and the top stays in place, but I fixed my top in place too.

DrP

RustyMac

ooo, going to put this here for reference.

trail_rat
    Free Member

any more for anymore……

cheapo roller doors in high wind situations ? one supplier warned me off them.

and also – any decent suppliers who dont want to charge 150 quid for delivery…. ive phoned many up who are just reluctant to ship to aberdeen…….

I did find one who would do it for 60 quid but then they cancelled my order and said that glideroll were in the process of going under….. i suspect it just cost more tahn 60 quid to ship…. ballbags.

trail_rat
    Free Member

well another attempt at ordering done….after all the up and over had to be rebodged again last night with an entirely different fault this time – after it fell on mrs T-Rs head -oops

countrywide garage doors on ebay this time….

65 quid delivery for an 8ft x 7ft manual mahogany woodgrain door

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Roller garage doors from eBay…worth it?’ is closed to new replies.