Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Roll call: Western Australians
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ooh I love Dwellingup. Some great camping round the river. Bloody flies though. Tried to do Munda Biddi but epic fail as it was 35+ and we had not enough water. Ended up back at camp with a nice swim and a few slabs from the bottlo.

Pea gravel. Mmm… Sketchy

WildHunter2009

Would it be wrong to ask….. What tyres for pea gravel? Having had several exciting/blinkin sketchy moments recently.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Surly Nate!!!

Crossmarks seem ok also…

WildHunter2009

Crossmarks you say, hmmm. Might have to add them to next crc order. I think half my problem is just not being used to riding in dry conditions!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Might have to add them to next crc order. I think half my problem is just not being used to riding in dry conditions!

Took me some getting used to even here in Tassie!

learning to love the drift and roll with all the damm tree needles on the floor that make life “interesting”

When I went home last time I found myself avoiding puddles. Had a bit of rain today so that should dampen down the dust and make things a bit more normal for me.

perthmtb
    Free Member

😆 The WA thread morphs into a “what tyres” thread – is nothing immune!

Anyway, if you can’t beat ’em…

Crossmarks are ok on the back, but you need something much grippier on the front for the dreaded pea gravel IMHO. Many round here run Maxxis Ignitor on the front, and I even go one step further and run the 2.3 version.

By the way, you can often pick up Crossmarks/Ignitors at TBE for $40, which is about what you pay for them on CRC. It’s one of the few items that seem to be reasonably priced locally – weird!

konabunny
    Free Member

My stuff arrives here a few weeks ago (Vic) and incredibly AQUIS only opened one of the bikes and that was one of the kids ones. They did open a box marked “tyres” but the tyres were new.
    From talking to a few people over here it is very hit and miss. Anecdotal stories would seem to suggest tyres are the thing they are hot on.

Both the bikes I had in my shipment were checked (plastic ripped open) and all the tyres checked. They weren’t clean – but it was city grime and not (I suppose) cow shit and mud so apparently they weren’t bothered.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I’ve quite happily used panaracer razer mx’s on the pea gravel, I think reasonably large and running them softish works.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Moved to rural NSW here

Whereabouts?

antigee

moving out to Melbourne with family (i know the post header is WA but quite a few Melbourne pots above) in August – so now i know what tyres guess rather than clean the wharncliffe mud tyres look out for some bargain new suited to dry gravel and take clean to avoid hassle

Pigface
    Free Member

Having lived in WA for 2 years in the late 80’s biking in the summer must be an early morning or late arvo activity, to bloody hot otherwise.

WildHunter2009

Doing anything in summer is to hot! I’m really looking forward to autumn and winter and more hours riding. The best bit is all the locals think your mental cos its ‘freezing’ out haha

perthmtb
    Free Member

Not to worry, after about four months without any rain and temperatures sometimes reaching the low forties (centigrade!), winter finally arrived in Western Australia this morning as I took my morning ride at Jarrahdale in the drizzle at a chilly 15 degrees. Reminded me of a summer’s day in Wales!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

in the what tyres I did 7 months all over on a set of 2.35 minions and brought the same this time, blagged some fat alberts too (2.4 i think) though most people look at me like I’m wierd especially without the lycra.

Advanatages look fairly handy out here, just depends how you like to ride really.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Thanks to BigRich for showing me round Lysterfield this afternoon. He was very patent with my dreadful level of fitness.
    Now have a bike covered in trail dust. Which coming from Northumberland is more than novel!
    I know STW likes nothing better than a tyre debate. Maxxis Advantage on the rear was fine but the WTB Enduro Raptor on the front was terrible. Couple of times thought I was going off on very innocuous sections. Could it be you need a reasonably open tread for the gravel?

perthmtb
    Free Member

Could it be you need a reasonably open tread for the gravel

Yep, open tread + large side knobs seems to work best on pea gravel. Most major brands offer a tyre that fits this description in their range – take your pick. I’ve had good results with both Maxxis Ignitors and Kenda Nevegal on the front. I also find low pressures (<25psi) and leaning forward to weight the front wheel helps with cornering in gravel…

WildHunter2009

Does anyone use something like a Highroller on the front? Maybe overkill?

Marmoset
    Free Member

Anyone have any suggestions where I can take my 5 year old son riding, he’s just getting a taste for off roading and I don’t want to take him somewhere so difficult that it discourages him ie – no gravel!

Cheers

Rich

Chewie
    Free Member

I hear Delamere is nice! 😉 :mrgreen:

marcus7
    Free Member

And of course it being so dry here rich we simply dust the bikes down when we get home!
    Bet you miss the weather rich! cheers marcus

hugor
    Free Member

Anyone have any suggestions where I can take my 5 year old son riding, he’s just getting a taste for off roading and I don’t want to take him somewhere so difficult that it discourages him ie – no gravel!

Why don’t you take him to a BMX track?
    Lots of them around the midlands area. It will be open and the surface will be firm. You can just sit in the middle with a tinny watching him go round.

Most MTB trails are pea gravel and the few that aren’t like Jarrahdale are pretty narrow and techy. May have issues with quick riders appearing at short notice.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Thanks Chewie, are you over here yet?

Marcus – my road bike gets dirtier that the mtb, if it’s wet then he sand off he cycle paths stick! Although I do believe I got some mud on the tyres last week, must got and have a look….suffice to say that no an awful lot of cleaning is required, it dries p and falls off 🙂

Good idea about the bmx tracks hugor, will look for one near me down here in Applecross…..

Chewie
    Free Member

Not yet. 2 weeks tops I reckon. Scrubbing the bikes at the mo!

hugor
    Free Member

Ive been living in Cardiff for the last 2 years and loved it. Coming back home in 2 months.
    I fear I’m going to lose interest in mtb when I get back to Perth .
    Its going to feel so limited.
    Kalamunda, goat farm, John Forest etc can all be ridden in a day.
    I’ve ridden every trail centre in Wales and most published natural routes and frankly there’s no comparison anywhere in Aus.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Here’s a couple of places I’ve taken my seven year old daughter…

1. Heritage rail trail. The whole loop is 42K, but there’s sections that are great for kids – like the bit thru John Forrest National Park (ride thru the old railway tunnel – kids of all ages love it!), or around Sculpture Park in Mundaring. Look here

2. Lake Leschenaultia. There’s a real flat loop around the edge of the lake, and a beginners MTB loop through the woods. Also playground, cafe, BBQs and kayak hire, and even a campground so you can make a weekend adventure of it! Check it out here

Marmoset
    Free Member

I know what you’re sayin Hugor, just moved over from near Nth Wales and miss the riding. I rode the relentless trail in Pemberton a few times last week, only 4.5km but reminded me of some welsh trails, a helluva long way to drive for a short ride though, we were down on holiday and I flung the bikes on the car on the off chance of a ride.

Thanks Perthmtb, like the sound of lake leschenaultia

Don’t forget under the seats Chewie!

perthmtb
    Free Member

Marmoset, I’ll be riding some of the lesser used trails around Mundaring tomorrow morning, and Jarrahdale on Sunday morning. Let me know if you want to tag along…

Chewie
    Free Member

Lol Ok! It’s bizarre. Got to scrub the push bikes, yet the motorbike they’re not really bothered about being clean. That’s seen more off road action lol 😳

Marmoset
    Free Member

I’ll have to pass this weekend Perthmtb, feeling off colour and trying to recover for a rowing race on Sunday! Cheers for he offer though 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Roll call: Western Australians’ is closed to new replies.