Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rohloff hub and Rohloff tensioner problems
  • allthegear
    Free Member

Hi. Im having a bit of an issue trying to fit a Rohloff hub to my Nicolai Helius CC.

Wheel in all okay and tensioner in place but the jockey wheels of the tensioner seem to be butting up against the sprocket on the hub. There doesn’t seem to be a thing to hold the arm of the tensioner back like I would have on a derailleur?

http://twitter.com/rachel_norfolk/status/208923154226221057/photo/1

Any Rohloff experts in???

Rachel

allthegear
    Free Member

Mmm – so that wasn’t such a good way to give access to photo! Tweet with photo is here: https://twitter.com/rachel_norfolk/statuses/208923154226221057

bencooper
    Free Member

Hmm – the tensioner usually has a screwed-on knobble on the back, similar to the one that the spring end rests against, that rests against the stop on the gear hanger.

I think that might be the DH tensioner – you might be better off with the standard tensioner…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bencooper
    Free Member

Plus the standard tensioner is longer…

allthegear
    Free Member

Ah – this was just sold as a tensioner. I didn’t realise there was more than one!

Thanks.

jes
    Free Member

The short tensioner doesn’t have the pin that locates on the drop out tab for the rear mech.
    Also the bolt to attach it to the dropout is designed not to allow the tensioner rotate at this point.
    To resolve the issue –
    1. Undo the the bolt that attaches the tensioner to the dropout.
    2. Rotate the tensioner towards the rear of the bike until you get the required clearance for the sprocket.
    3. Hold tensioner in the desired position and retighten the bolt.
    4. Check clearance is good, re-adjust if necessary.

The longer version of the tensioner makes life a little easier for removing the wheel as the short tensdioner needs undoing and re-setting every time you remove the wheel 🙂

Hope this helps

allthegear
    Free Member

Ah he’s – it appears that there IS space in the tensioner bolt to rotate around that point – there’s a washer just the right size to allow it.

Rachel

jes
    Free Member

The washer that allows rotation of the tentioner at the bolt when tightened is only used on the longer version with the pin for the dropout tab. If you use it on the short version it will just keep pulling the tensioner into the sprocket when you pedal.

The short version is designed to lock in place when tightened and should be manually adjusted to the correct angle of dangle 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

Mmm – not with the parts I have in the box!

allthegear
    Free Member

Ah – cracked it!

I’ve managed to create my own end-stop from a Mavic Schraeder valve adapter and a chain ring bolt outer. It works perfectly!

So proud of myself!! 🙂

Picture at https://twitter.com/rachel_norfolk/statuses/208953215679606784

Rachel

jes
    Free Member

You may have the wrong tensioner/washer kit combination, I only know the different because I have both types of tensioner, although I no longer use the short version for reasons previously mentioned.

If your setup is new how about returning it to the shop, also you can get the longer plate on it’s own from SJS cycles for about £14 not sure about the pin and bolt though.

bencooper
    Free Member

Nice bodge 🙂

Excellent improvisation, I like it.
    Have you got the Rohloff manual ? Pages 68 -69 show the two types of tensioner. As Jes says, the shorter DH type should be clamped tightly in place, but if it works like that, stick with it.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Rohloff manual is on their website if you’ve not got it.

To be honest I’m struggling to see what the problem is but if you’ve solved it great.

allthegear
    Free Member

I think my DH. Tensioner was a mix of parts as it rotated freely once bolted into the gear hanger.

Anyway, the bodge works perfectly. 🙂

Rachel (engineering genius)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rohloff hub and Rohloff tensioner problems’ is closed to new replies.