Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Rohloff equipped touring bikes?
  • ton

I am in the market for a pair of rohloff equipped touring bike for me and the wife.
    I want a 23” or 24” 700c bike, the wife wants a 16” 26” wheeled bike,
    other than thorn has anyone got any idea’s for off the peg bikes.
    both bike need good luggage capacity, be able to take a wide tyre also, and discs.

scotroutes

Nothing here Tony?

http://www.en.tout-terrain.de/

ton

thought about those Colin, but I wanted to try and buy localish.
    might have to broaden the buying circle.
    cheers.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

A couple of days earlier and this would have been perfect. 🙁

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=82139

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ton, check these out

http://www.intec-bikes.de/t08.html?&L=3

The German guy I toured with just finished his trip Alaska to Tierra del Fuego on one.

I will see if I can the email from the Danish guy we rode with, he has a bike shop in Denmark and he quoted me a price on one.

EDIT He quoted me 2000Euro for one with hydraulic disc brakes, Tubus rack and Shimano dynamo hub.

garage-dweller

ton

I looked at touring bikes (in the wider sense) earlier in the year. All pretty conventional derailleur based stuff on UK models if I recall correctly.

I suspect that you need to look towards Germany for Rohloff or UK custom build? The Germans also often fit hub dynamos and good lights as standard if the ctc mag reviews are anything to judge by.

Are you sure your wife wants 26″ wheels? I’ve heard 27.5 makes the potholes come alive and you won’t be able to get spares for the obsolete size soon? 😆

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Also not local and not cheap but Van Nic bikes are rather nice. I’d have on of these if I could afford/justify it

http://www.vannicholas.com/28/Pioneer_Rohloff/bike.aspx

ton

thanks for the idea’s
    the more I look the more it seems the continent is the place to look for something suitable.

swiss01
    Free Member

might want to check out rose. quick look suggests they mainly do alfine/belt but i’m sure they’d make a rohloff for you

RustySpanner

Koga?

Or why not just get a pair of Disc Truckers?
    You’ve must have had half a dozen LHT’s yourself – you know the score by now. 🙂

And what’s so special about Rohloff?
    They’re just like double glazing, therapy or solar panels – a great idea, but you’ll never live long enough to reap the benefit.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve built a reasonable number based on the Surly LHT – swap the dropouts to sliding ones and they’re sorted. A good option that’s cheaper than a completely custom frame, but still gives you lots of options.

nairn5s
    Free Member

Hi, have a look at Thorn Cycles.

nairn5s
    Free Member

Sorry didn’t read original post as well as I thought.

Stoner
    Free Member

ton, Ive converted a pompetamine to rohloff v successfully and inexpensively, and of course toured on it’s SS sibling as well. The added cost of getting a wheel built up and adapting a speedbone would still come out great VFM with an off the peg pomp or frame-up build. Lots of rack mounts too.

Tyre clearance isnt massive but will do 35c.

Pickers

How about Surly Troll / Ogre? Very similar bikes, the Troll is 26″, Ogre is 29″/700C. Both have Rohloff friendly dropouts and can be built up with flat or drop bars. Very versatile bikes but perhaps more mtb shaped than tourer.

jameso

Second the Ogre nomination. A friend of mine built one with Rohloff and rode across Asia on dirt roads and tarmac earlier this year. Used a mix of BP and trad touring kit, bend 2 bars etc. Seems like an ideal bike, no moving parts at the dropouts to cause grief either. It is quite MTB-like but little heavier than a solid world tourer and a great riding position.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Shand stoater – would do one big enough for you and they look stunning.

http://www.shandcycles.com/frames/allroad-plus/stoater-plus-overview/

kcal

Mate is looking at a Koga for that purpose, ton..

ton

to be honest, my next question was gonna be, how hard would it be to convert a disc trucker, which i have, to a rohloff.

reason for a rohloff is that the wife cant seem to grasp front and rear gear shifters.
    and i would like to try one myself.

Stoner
    Free Member

the LHT looks like a canti/v brake frame only on their site.

That means you cant use a speed bone or monkey bone for the torque plate. But Rohloff usually come with a torque arm that attaches further along the chainstay. It is one of the ugliest ideas ever manifested in cycling, but it does work without any modifcation to the frame.

The alternative would be to send the frame to bencooper for cut & shutting.

ton

my surly is the disc version….i dont think, by the look of it, that it would be easy to fit a hub gear.
    think a call to bencooper is in order.

RustySpanner

Would the Straggler frame be an easier option?

ton

Rusty Spanner – Member
    Would the Straggler frame be an easier option?

just looked at a straggler, would that take a rohloff?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Lots of German/Euro options but if you want UK made then surely it’s Thorn

bencooper
    Free Member

A LHT with sliding dropouts (non-disc):

Another one, with S&S BTCs as well:

Straggler would take a Rohloff (pretty much anything will) but it’d have to be a solid axle one with a tensioner unless I replace the dropouts.

Houns

Has to be Thorn or Koga

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Rohloff equipped touring bikes?’ is closed to new replies.