Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct?
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

Just wondering if anybody owns the newer version rocky mountain instinct? If so what do you think of it? Anybody had any warranty dealings with RM?

Tried the altitude a year or so ago when it was still 27.5 and absolutely loved it, have wanted to own a RM since and looking to try something new after 13 years of owning different Santa Cruz bikes.

matt_outandabout

I think the latest PinkBike field test loved it…

Eldest_oab has Altitude A50. It’s a beast of a bike – like so many enduro bikes.

Aside from the travel is got some nice frame touches like the cable routing, BB area plastic cover to stop mud gathering and bits wearing out.

I think the Instinct is very same geometry, just shorter travel and a few grammes less.

It’s really neatly finished, well specced, looks great and rides superbly. What’s not to like?

GolfChick
    Free Member

Apparently the instinct and altitude are identical frame wise. Only difference being the shock mount and shock length so you could in effect buy two parts and you’d have an altitude but I think it’s way too much travel for Uk riding.

You don’t see many in the UK and I actually prefer that to seeing the Santa Cruz’s everywhere nowadays. Especially as it seems all the noobs buy one no matter the cost!

v7fmp

I almost bought one a while back, but decided to keep with my Norco Optic. I did a fair amount of research and couldnt really find anyone saying anything negative about it.

Seems to have more online reviews from American sites. I was going to get this one…

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes/rocky-mountain-instinct-c70-29-full-suspension-mountain-bike-2021-greencarbon__8156

I enjoyed my Altitude from a few years back. And as you say, the new altitude and Instinct share the same frame, so with a new mount, longer shock and new forks, you can turn it into an enduro machine… should the mood take you. (albeit it wouldnt be a cheap process… but cheaper than a second bike).

Unfortunately the prices of the 2022 Rocky Mountains are just insane, so it looks pretty likely i wont ever get to own one!

GolfChick
    Free Member

Yeah it would be frame only for me as I have all the parts needed already in the spec I like. Can’t even see anywhere listing them and the price for frame only.

matt_outandabout

My other comment: Eldest bought his a year ago. It has been Invisiwrapped (they took the frame and used it to create a kit).

It has been ridden weekly, been up around a dozen Munro’s, a few Enduro races, the TransSavoie and a further week in the Alps. It has been properly caned.

In that time it has had a couple of shock services, we have tightened a few spokes and he destroyed another rim. But the paint and bearings look like new still – we looked to change them at Christmas and it runs smoooooooth still. Clearly a very straight and stiff frame…

v7fmp

@golfchick – when i was looking, i also considered a frame only option. I dont think they brought 2021 frames into the UK (or they were few and far between), so was advised i would have to wait for a 2022 frame (with no ETA of when they might be available). The price i got quoted at the time for a frameset was….. an eyewatering £4300. My enquiries stopped there! 😀

desperatebicycle

Some RM stuff doesn’t make it to the UK and frame only option seems to be one of them. Might be able to request one from a dealer. It’s almost Yeti prices for the Instinct frame it looks : $3,729

I’ve been on a 2015 Instinct for the last 5 years and it’s great, except the geom is rather dated now. I’ve got my eye on a Element as my next bike though. I’m sure it’ll do everything as well as the old Instinct, but much lighter.

(I know that’s not what you asked, but I don’t reckon the new Instinct will be out in the wild as yet 🙂 )

GolfChick
    Free Member

Holy **** £4300!!!!! That’s just insane, they can’t possibly sell many of them AT ALL! Like I’m all for expensive frames as Im on a Maverick CC but jeepers!!!

Not in much of a rush as I have to wait for my warranty replacement to turn up anyway.

mboy
    Free Member

Yeah it would be frame only for me as I have all the parts needed already in the spec I like. Can’t even see anywhere listing them and the price for frame only.

Buy a full bike… Trust me… Pauls Cycles have 2021 models @ 20% off RRP at the moment. They come really well specced, so even if you keep none of the components, you can sell them all on very easily for good money (and now is a good time for that anyway!).

FWIW if I was buying one bike to do it all right now, and my knee wasn’t ****ed… It would be an Instinct (or possibly the new 2022 Element with 120/130 travel and similar geometry). Rave reviews of it and the Altitude by all those who have ridden them. I absolutely adore my 2019 Element, it’s a staggeringly capable bike for its geometry and weight. Paint is of the highest quality I’ve seen on a production MTB frame, little touches like proper bearing eyelets for the shock instead of bushes etc really add up to an impressive overall package too.

RM have had a few years in the wilderness in the UK to be fair, but still distributed by Greenover, and I know Sean the sales agent who was appointed last year to handle the brand is doing a good job of getting the latest 2022 range into dealers where he can.

Holy **** £4300!!!!! That’s just insane, they can’t possibly sell many of them AT ALL!

They don’t. They sell bikes @ approximately the same price that people will then customise or swap out parts on.

matt_outandabout

+1 on buying a full bike not frame – eldest paid a little over £3k for complete bike IIRC.

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

Element was on my radar but £6700 for xt bulld? Erm. No.

LAT

not that this answers any of your questions, but i went into my local rocky mountain dealer to ask about the element. they have sold all of their meagre allocation for the year.

if there is one available in the size you want, i’d recommend buying it as quickly as possible.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Cheers, warranty replacement has no definitive ETA other than ‘months’ so I won’t be doing anything until then, will ride my on order orbea rise in the meantime.

eddie123
    Free Member

I own a 2019 Instinct carbon frame alloy rear triangle, great up or down hills, light weight, quality build and fun to ride I am very happy with it, suits my type of riding in the Scottish Highlands (big hills and rocky trails)

Macgyver

I bought an Instinct Carbon 50 about 5 months ago and love it (in large so a 29’r) Only complaint is that the WTB rims seem a bit soft as I have put 3 minor dinks in the rear already. Didn’t do that on the old set of Mavics I had despite running similar tyres and pressures. Thinking of cushcore for the back to stop me twatting it any further. The adjustable geometry is interesting (and quick to adjust) too but I’ve not played with the wheelbase option as keeping it short suits the trails I’m riding as we can get steep techy twisty here in Texas hill country.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Cheers both, I’d love to own one and been told I can preorder the 2022 that I would want but at a base level of £5.6k it still makes the frame only too expensive considering the resale value of the bog standard parts. It’s about £1k over priced really and is probably why there arent many owners in the UK!

chakaping
    Free Member

They look awesome but the pricing is so weird.

Do we think they don’t really want to sell any here?

matt_outandabout

I bet it is cheaper to fly to Canada, pick one up, ride a week and bring it home….

GolfChick
    Free Member

Well I am going again next year as it happens!

chakaping
    Free Member

Order now and they might come in stock in time.

😀

Macgyver

Mmm quite a price difference then. I paid about $5600 for my C50 which would be about £4K GBP.

singletrackmind

bargain RM

Almost the same as mine . I run a 120mm SID up front. This frameset does not have the flip chip though.
    Make em an offer , you never know .

Mines a L , and Im 5ft 11in with 31in inside legs. Needs a dropper and some wider rims (imo)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Rocky Mountain Instinct?’ is closed to new replies.