Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rocky Mountain bikes. Much love these days?
  • Trekster

Demo available at LBS in a week or so. Rarely see them mentioned on here since the bad old days of the ETSX frame breakages.
    Making a come back or still fragile and expensive?

Very nearly bought one yrs ago but got a Kona instead which is now due for trading in……

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Got an Altitude 750,over the moon with it 😀
    I was looking at the Kona Princess and Bronson but went with RM.

Some creaking issues with the ABC after a few rides,but all sorted now after greasing and re-tourqing.

There’s a new distributor in the UK,this is there Facebook Page

I would go along and try them,lovely bikes!

vickypea
    Free Member

Mr Pea has been riding a Rocky Mountain HT for 10 years. The frame’s a little rusty here and there but it’s a lovely looking bike and still going strong!

philfive
    Free Member

I have an original Altitude and it has done everything, XC races, enduro races, downhill days. Had it 4 years and still going strong.

bentudder

They sponsor Elbry!

Whoop whoop!

Remember kids, no hating on the Pros, right?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

awesome bikes (disclosure my mate sells then over here in tassie – he has shifted a lot this year)

They make some nice full sus bikes, liked the Altitude, the element is very popular here. Considering he only picked them up last year they have exploded onto the market over here and demand is outstripping supply.
    Hoping to see the new 2014 bikes this week or next as demo’s

SaxonRider

@ beiciwr64

That is a beautiful looking bike! 8)

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Seem to be very well reviewed and thought of in the US. I’d really like a test ride on an Element, but unfortunately they seem to be almost entirely unavailable in the UK.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I guess you will be waiting for teh 2014 bikes now

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I don’t think there were ever many/any 2013 bikes bought into the UK in any case.

Northwind

I had a wee go on the last model Slayer, it was bloomin brilliant. OTOH a mate has their dh bike and while he loves it, it’s got some disasterous design in it- the bushings wore away the linkage, and there’s massive mud/water gathering spots inside the swingarm that could be designed to kill the bearings… Seems to be a common issue on other models, the bushings don’t show any real signs of wear til its too late.

gary

I got a 2012 Element at a good price when Evans were clearing out their stock. A few sneaky upgrades to shed a little weight and its great and lives up to all the positive reviews. Would love an Altitude too but that might be slightly extravagant!

JoeG
    Free Member
    Jason
    Free Member

I have been riding a Rocky Mountain Vertex since August 2012. I bought it reduced from Evans. I had a slight issue with it when an internal cable guide failed, but Evans and RM were great and replaced the frame with a 2013 Vertex 999 version. I really like the bike, a really well thought out design that is comfy to ride long distances, yet still feels very stiff when riding it hard. Their current range of bikes look great and it would be good to see more of them on the trails.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Very happy with all of mine. A steel hardtail (Hammer), a carbon hardtail (Vertex) and an Element 970 29er Alu full susser. Very addictive bikes, that’s the only trouble with ’em. The 29er handles the tight stuff very well.
    I’ve not ridden the Element long enough to have caused any problems but the general feeling over on MTBR is keep an eye on the bushings and clean regularly if you’re riding in the slop a lot, no problems with frames cracking though.

dan86
    Free Member

I had a Vertex carbon where the bonded front mech hanger snapped off, rocky were awesome and sent out a new one in the blink of an eye. The new one has rivets in the front mech mount so the problem has obviously been addressed. This frame then cracked after a month of light use, a third of the way down the seat tube. I was directed to the new UK rocky dealer who didn’t reply to my emails. I put the whole bike up for sale with a damaged frame and it was sold for a decent price before I got round to phoning the new dealers. (just wanted rid at that point) On the contrary, I had an ETSX-10 for 4 years with no problems and it was an absolute blast. Not sure how the service from the new UK dealers will pan out, but from riding experiences I would buy another Rocky in a heartbeat, providing it’s not a carbon one, due to previous problems.

philfive
    Free Member

I’ve dealt with the new dealers trying to source ABC bushings for the rear of my Altitude. They had only just got the distribution deal so things were a bit slow (due to not knowing all the parts) but the communicationwas pretty good. im looking at replacing my bike in the new year and the new altitude 770 Rally is on my list but, I’m struggling to get a demo ride and not sure if I can get a good enough deal from the shops that have them to steer me away from the alternatives.

All in all the Altitude has been a real do everything bike and if the new one is even half as good as my old one it will be one hell of a bike.
    One of the downsides with mine is that the HA is steep but this seems to have been addressed with the ride nine system.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve just seen a chunk of the 2014 range tonight, the Altitude looks great in the raw – the ride nine will drop it back to 66 degrees if you want.

they are looking like a good range this year

annebr
    Free Member

I loved my ETSX. Even with the cracks.

I would love another preferably with the breaking problem fixed.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rocky Mountain bikes. Much love these days?’ is closed to new replies.