Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Rockshox Yari forks anygood
  • dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Wondering what people think of these forks Yari RC 160mm cheers.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think they’re fantastic for the money standard. Better in Debonair version or with a luftkappe and they can’t be upgraded to Lyrik spec for £230 down the road.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Cheers for that looking at the new Trek Slash 8 they have them on which is the Debonair.

chestrockwell

I didn’t rate mine at all tbh. Thought they would be a slightly worse version of my Pike but they were no where near as good.

joebristol

Stiffer then the Pike, but if it’s the motion control version rather than charger rc then the damper is inferior.

I found my Yari’s in 160mm travel were ok actually – but then I only had a 150mm old 32mm style revelation to compare it to.

The limitation is really when you get lots of rocks in a row the damper spikes a bit.

I changed to the debonair airshaft and charger 2 at the same time and it was a good upgrade.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

They don’t seem to be on to many bikes and some places are selling them very cheaply maybe its the luck on the draw my first 150mm pikes in 2017 on a Remedy were crap yet the 130mm I have used since on other bikes have been great weird never had a problem with Fox though makes you wonder years back you good years with Rockshox then crap thought that had all finshed!!!

Simon

Reading with interest, I’ve just bought a Giant Reign with a Yari RC DebonAir. Planning to ride the bike for a bit and if the fork isn’t great then maybe upgrade to the Charger damper.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Reading with interest, I’ve just bought a Giant Reign with a Yari RC DebonAir. Planning to ride the bike for a bit and if the fork isn’t great then maybe upgrade to the Charger damper.

I rode a Yari for nearly 3 years. It was non Debonair and out-of-the-box it way okay, no better. Worse than my old 26” Lyrik.

The main problem was it was very hard to find a balance between being plush at the top end and it diving through its travel on braking and spiking on harsh rock gardens.

Fitting a Luftkappe which works in a similar way to the Debonaire and it made it a lot better, run less tokens and pressure for a plush top end without the diving.

My new bike came with a Lyrik, same chassis, fancier damper, it’s better does the plush v non-dive thing beautifully I can brake really hard on steep / rough stuff if I have to that I couldn’t on my Yari and it covers rough trail better, but it’s not Rocket Surgery, it costs 2 or 3 times as much depending on model so you’d expect it to be better, but you can upgrade a Yari to Lyrik spec for not a lot of money. In fact I’ve seen Yari’s on sale cheap enough to build a Lyrik cheaper than buying one.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

All good info looked at a few videos thanks all.

matt_outandabout

MoCo damper 130mm here.

As above, almost impossible to get the balance between supple at first Vs blowing through travel. I get far mar hand pump than my old Fox 32 F120’s.

Less than impressed by aftermarket ‘solutions’ – just buy a Pike (or any other brand).

That said, it’s stiff, easy to service and durable.

doomanic

I recently upgraded my 2017 Yari forks to Debonair and it’s made a noticeable improvement. If I don’t upgrade bikes soon the damper will be next.

I’ve never ridden a Lyric, but I have ridden Fox Factory 36 and the they are significantly better than the Yaris so I’m hoping the RCT3 damper upgrade will bring them up to the same level.

Simon

So what’s the difference between the Charger2 RCT3 and Charger2 RC2 dampers?

joebristol

My Yari now it’s effectively a Lyrik is noticeably better. I think you need to change the seals as well as the damper to effectively be a Lyrik – but it’s not difficult or that expensive to do.

I do have a 140mm Pike (although my Yari now is 170mm travel so not fully comparable) on my hardtail to compare to now and it’s not as good.

joebristol

Rct3 has adjustable low speed compression and rebound, but no high speed adjustment of either.

It then also has a 3
    Position low speed compression dial –
    Open / pedal /
    Firm. When I’m open your main lsc adjustment works.

RC2 has low speed rebound and then I think low and high speed compression adjustment. No big settings like the rct3 though for a quick lock out type setting.

doomanic

You’re right, I was thinking of RC2.

joemmo
    Free Member

As above, I converted my Yari to Lyrik spec with the Charger 2.1 rct3 and it’s a much better fork. If you can stump up for a Lyrik then it’s a worthwhile spend IMHO

transition1
    Free Member

I have had a Pike in the past was ok fork but not as good as a Deville but better than Fox!
    Now have a Yari RC which is pretty good but fitted a Smashpot before ever rode it

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Yaris are fine – changing to a Charger 2.1 makes a difference, but it’s nowhere near as night and day as people make out (as an example, I’m yet to beat any of my PBs on local downhill trails since I installed the Charger damper, despite many attempts).

JP

liamhutch89
    Free Member

I’d say it’s worth trying the Yari – if it’s good for you then great, if you want more then convert to a lyrik which for my money is the best fork on the market (in top spec guise)

hatter

Tough, stiff, heavy, simple, cheap.

Great reliable budget option, had some on the E-bike for a while, they were rock solid, even though the damping was pretty rudimentry.

Ditched them for a set of F535’s and the improvement in grip and mid-stroke support was dramatic, so it all depends on your budget and what you’re looking for.

geex
    Free Member

They’re a good fork at a good price.
    This place is full of slow guys looking to find fault in their kit to justify spending even more money.
    If their wives will let them.

stevied
    Free Member

No complaints about my Yari’s. Had them a couple of years and used for everything from evening bimbles to a week in Whistler where they were the only fork in my group that didn’t have an issue (others on Fox 40’s & Boxxers).

Have recently fitted a debonair shaft as part of a service and they feel more supple on small bumps.

kula72
    Free Member

Not had a yari but got revs which had moco damping. totally fine, but takes a bit of tweaking to find your setting. like jjprestidge, my pb’s are all on moco. Not current charger 2.1 or the Charger 1 I had previously (though they do feel nicerer).

I found moco needed less rebound damping than I would normally use to cope with repeated hits. air pressure and tokens were set so I had mid-stroke and good ramp up, and then just ran lower tyre pressures to help with the trail chatter.

lardman
    Free Member

I have fitted a ‘Smashpot’ and a YariUp to my pair, and the difference is massive. I also changed the seals when i did the Damper/spring swap.

I only did it this way, because i got a great deal on some new Yaris, and wanted a coil fork.

z1ppy

what kind of deals are ppl geting on Yari’s, from what I’ve seen when you add the upgrades, it still works out very close to Lyrik ultimate prices. You’ll end up with a nice fork, and not have to splurg the Lyrik price striaght away, but it doesn’t seem any savings (or am I hoping for too much)

jjprestidge
    Free Member

You can get new Yaris for £400 and a Charger 2.1 damper for £170. Ultimates are more than that, I believe.

JP

Del

Got some on my chameleon and for me they’re pretty average, certainly compared to some 34s and 36s I’ve compared to. Heavy, can’t get them dialed in to soak up the small stuff without them bottoming on bigger stuff, despite screwing around with tokens, and now they’re showing a score mark on the rear of one leg, within about 2 months of having the lowers done when they looked perfect, so they’re not getting any of the lyrik upgrades I had planned. I’ll ride them until they’re nearly dead and keep an eye out for some 34 or 36 to replace.
    Over the years I’ve had rockshox that have lasted amazingly well – I just moved on a set of old 424 pikes that must have been 9 or 10 years old and have done thousands of km, and some that have started wearing the stanchions on just over a year. Seems to be luck of the draw.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Something is wrong with them if you can’t stop them bottoming out – Yaris normally ramp up so much that it’s hard to get full travel out of them with any tokens installed.

JP

sillyoldman

Hijack – can the new budget Rockshox 35 be upgraded to a Charger damper?

jedi

I have a new giant reign with yari forks. Got 3 spacers and tftuned to sort both fork and deluxe rear and it feels awesome. A shockwiz confirmed it too

ampthill

I’ve noticed that the 2020 trek fuel ex 7 has a Rockshox 35 gold RL debonair motion control fork. Where does that fit in? Sounds like it’ll by fine for me but can you upgrade to the Charge damper?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Don’t know but the EX8 you get a Fox 34 I have just order a Slash 8 see how my Yaris work!!!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Yari forks anygood’ is closed to new replies.